Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The very busy Star Party.

SGL5 saw two nights clear till at least 3am (when I went to sleep). On Saturday night I set up the camera on a static tripod, running 30 second images and just left it doing its thing for just over 2 hours. Stacked in "Startrails" - great bit of freeware.

It was pointed down the middle rally field. SteveL's, Daz's and Ford Prefect's set-ups are the very busy ones at the left

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=802&g2_serialNumber=2main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=811&g2_serialNumber=2

218 images, 30s, f/6.3, ISO 400, taken with a modified Canon 450D and kit lens at 18mm.

YouTube video of the sequence on the way!

Andrew

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you indeed everyone!

Nick et al., thanks for the encouragement. I've just emailed Astronomy Now. :D

The full-size version is here. A question about the full size: littered all over the image are very short trails. Any ideas what these are?

Andrew

littered all over the image are very short trails. Any ideas what these are

I noticed that they all seem to be the same length. Could they be geostationary satellites?

I noticed that they all seem to be the same length. Could they be geostationary satellites?

I thought they don't move at all - not even a little bit?

I have yet to find them on the original frames. I wonder if they come and go quickly or if they are on every frame, but just move incredibly slowly.

Andrew

Beautiful image!

I don't think so. I'll try and say a little more on this when I can hear myself think, i.e., after my daughter goes to bed.

I had hoped that someone would know about the short trails.

Stunning work Andrew, looks amazing. One question, why is there a red torch going up in the air. Was that person just very tall?

Have you met Andrew? It's a wonder he doesnt get short of oxygen :D

Exellent pic Andrew, really excellent.

Archived