SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The very busy Star Party.

Thank you indeed everyone!

Nick et al., thanks for the encouragement. I've just emailed Astronomy Now. :D

The full-size version is here. A question about the full size: littered all over the image are very short trails. Any ideas what these are?

Andrew

I'd guess they were evidences of the variable seeing, the only ones that strike me as odd are those that are appearing to move at a different angle to the others.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I thought they don't move at all - not even a little bit?

I didn't think so either, but maybe they appear to move a little bit due to parallax. Just a thought.

I thought they don't move at all - not even a little bit?

Right, they don't move at all. In order for a satellite to be geostationary, a satellite has to orbit above the Earth's equator once a (sidereal) day. At the latitude of SGL5, a geostationary satellite located due south will have an altitude of 31 degrees (if I have calculated correctly). The farther away from due south that the azimuth of a geostationary satellite is, the lower in altitude it will be.

I have yet to find them on the original frames. I wonder if they come and go quickly or if they are on every frame, but just move incredibly slowly.

Andrew

Good question.

That is a cracker Andrew ;)

Have you considered offering it to APOD?

Really?? Well, I've already sent it to AN and they don't like already-published content... I wonder if APOD counts?

I've discovered the meaning of the "micro-trails": I left 5 seconds between frames, which left small gaps between the stars. So I selected the sky and used a 5 pixel motion blur at 45° to bridge these gaps. The micro trails are a result of hot pixels being blurred :)

I was originally concerned that a motion blur would make a strange effect, due to the different angles of the trails, but actually the trails are not noticably fatter after the blur...

Andrew

Andrew that is a fantastic star trail photo. I know you have submitted it to AN but I wonder, for good public relations, whether a good A4 print could be presented to Lucksall Park especially if SGL6 goes ahead at this venue next year. I am happy to do the print with your permission and with your name copyright on the bottom. What do you think and the Admin/Moderator team about his gesture?

Mark

Sorry Andrew, just noticed this. Well that worked well eh!!! It's a cracker! Mine ran out of battery after 1 (out of focus) shot down the field but I still have my camera pointing north star trails to look at - you have given me fresh reason to see if they are any good.

I'm overwhelmed by all teh comments, folks ;)

I attach another version. In one of the early frames (which I didn't use for the final composite), I walked in front of the camera and made a star with my red light torch! I have pasted this onto the foreground.

You can have so much fun painting words/shapes onto the foreground.... :)

Andrew

post-13113-133877442938_thumb.jpg

I restacked this, leaving out the last 5, on which there was a small jump. I think I must have disturbed the tripod while packing up. I've also improved colour balance, and included some earlier frames, one of which contains a very imposing red light torch streak - must be someone walking very close to the camera. Not sure whether this is at all welcome....

Andrew

post-13113-133877443784_thumb.jpg

Archived