NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Aurorae likely tonight!!

Posted (edited)

Totally clear hear, but hardly any activity. If only I'd had the camera out last night. This was the only activity. lasted ten minutes and was difficult to make out

Res1.thumb.jpg.b48f4cb289ef6f85a5eaf1e7d2694661.jpg

Edited by 900SL
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, 900SL said:

Totally clear hear, but hardly any activity. If only I'd had the camera out last night. This was the only activity. lasted ten minutes and was difficult to make out

Res2.thumb.jpg.84b371892322c03ccbc967fcce63e369.jpgRes1.thumb.jpg.b48f4cb289ef6f85a5eaf1e7d2694661.jpg

Similar experience for me, a couple of thin bursts but no spectacular explosion of colour. There will always be the next time, which will be a few times a year here. Although i dont expect to see the cataclysm of yesterday anytime soon.

• Like 1

Aurorawatch app is down to minor activity now, 66nT so no chance down south. Looks like, even if the clouds part, we’re not getting anything tonight sadly. Hopefully it picks up for anyone staying up, but I think I’ll call it a night, and treasure last nights amazing display. 

Didn’t trust AuroraWatch last night, the 600nT was at odds with a quiet solar wind and a very low ovation aurora prediction, so I went to bed. Pity those that missed it didn’t get a second chance, but hopefully we’ll get another chance this solar cycle.

Peter

A local Facebook group reported gridlock and  queues of cars and and frustrated people trying to get in and out of a local hilltop site where everyone had the same idea to try and catch the aurora on Saturday night after the news of the previous night.

I took this photo at about 23.15 from home on Saturday night and I wonder it thats still some faint activity?

20240511_231553.thumb.jpg.94617eda82af7b95c47a885db282a769.jpg

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Paz said:

A local Facebook group reported gridlock and  queues of cars and and frustrated people trying to get in and out of a local hilltop site where everyone had the same idea to try and catch the aurora on Saturday night after the news of the previous night.

I took this photo at about 23.15 from home on Saturday night and I wonder it thats still some faint activity?

20240511_231553.thumb.jpg.94617eda82af7b95c47a885db282a769.jpg

I read on another forum there were cars lined up on Dartmoor, some with there headlights on, and people using the flash on their phones :iamwithstupid:

There was some activity around 23.00 yes that's Aurora. 

This is what Spaceweather are saying for tonight/tomorrow. There's going to be a lot more cloud compared to Friday. 

https://www.spaceweather.com/

Edited by scotty1
  • Like 1

Clear all evening. Clouded over 15 minutes after I’d set up the scope and caught the Crescent Moon. 🙄 Pulled it all back in, and it’s now hazy and sporadic cloud here. No sign of any Aurora either.

In fact, I’ve just looked on the Shetland Webcams thinking it might be visible, and no it isn’t, but I can’t believe how light it is at midnight! 

I confidently predict that tomorrows social media's going to be full of photos from tonight of thin clouds underlit by light pollution claiming to be of aurora .... 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I have had a look at my pics. Probably should have been more consistent rather than kid in a sweet shop but here is one I like.

Cheers

Ian

Leo_ar.JPG

• Like 7

I was more “cat with plate of food, not knowing how long it will stay there”… slots of shots, lots of duplicates, deleted a lot to get a few ones that really captured the event. Hope we don’t have to wait 20yrs for the next one .

Peter

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Hope we don’t have to wait 20yrs for the next one .

I don't expect to see anything like that ever again. It was the third significant display I 've seen in 50 years of looking and by far the best. Many years ago I saw an overhead "corona" for a short while, but nothing like the intensity and sky coverage of 10th/11th.

Of course I could travel to arctic regions to ensure i get another display in my lifetime... :) 

A large part of the drive for building an allsky camera was to capture aurorae and other special events. In that respect, it's already performed beyond my hopes and expectations! 

Like the song says. "Oh what a night..!"

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Paul M said:

I don't expect to see anything like that ever again. It was the third significant display I 've seen in 50 years of looking and by far the best. Many years ago I saw an overhead "corona" for a short while, but nothing like the intensity and sky coverage of 10th/11th.

Of course I could travel to arctic regions to ensure i get another display in my lifetime... :) 

A large part of the drive for building an allsky camera was to capture aurorae and other special events. In that respect, it's already performed beyond my hopes and expectations! 

Like the song says. "Oh what a night..!"

Indeed, I went outside to put the cover back on my scope when i noticed it on friday.

I called for my dad who was inside the house, and for him to tell my brother as well.

Three of us stood in the back garden for about an hour before it tapered off. My dad said he saw hints of it when he lived in and visited Scotland but had never seen it this intense, and certainly not 5 degrees further south than the Scottish border!

I'm fairly sure I won't see it again outside of the ongoing solar event (there has been talk of another ejection, but who knows if it will be visible to us). At least not without intentionally chasing it. Definitely feels like a "once in a lifetime" event.

• Like 1

Was lucky enough to spot the aurora Friday evening at 22.30 CEST by chance. Had been out to test the newly arrived SvBony 202 8x42 ED, and suddenly discovered the typical pink glow in the NW. Just a coloured brightening in the sky without noticeable structures, reaching up to 50°  My fourth aurora observation here in SW Germany at 49.61° Lat. (the other ones in April 2000, October and November 2003). Will post a smartphone picture my son has taken. Very happy to share again the observation with him.

Yesterday evening no aurora visible directly, but a high level of skyglow, mixed with high thin clouds. No alert for this evening (but will go out of course).

Stephan

• Like 2

We may get one at nearly anytime as we’re riding to solar max and the spots can throw out strong CME that cave aurorae. The last show was a once o. Several decade event, so I’m not expecting a repeat any time soon.., but who knows, keep your eyes open in case.

peter

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, PeterW said:

We may get one at nearly anytime as we’re riding to solar max and the spots can throw out strong CME that cave aurorae. The last show was a once o. Several decade event, so I’m not expecting a repeat any time soon.., but who knows, keep your eyes open in case.

peter

What are the chances of clear skies if we get a G4 storm?. The way the weather was favourable, and the G5 storm occured on 10th May together is rare. Id say this September to May next there year could be another G3/G4 storm.

Edited by scotty1

• 2 weeks later...