Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Aurorae likely tonight!!

Just now, Ibbo! said:

Might have caught a bright meteor at the top of the blue streamrs

I think it was a plane, but will check later on. 

Disturbance is now 1350!! 

A86CDAAA-7A93-4384-8015-26EED561AC77.png

• Like 1

What an interesting night. One.of.the problems I'm seeing is that there is so much energy in the high atmosphere that it appears to have an overall background glow

So only the brighter columns are visible against the background.

What a night , and another monster flare has just been emitted from the Sun too !

Cheers

• Like 3

Well this is embarrassing, I was out until 1:30am- third night of trying to focus my OAG and I finally did it - yay!

I woke this morning with my other half saying "did you see the lights? tons of Facebook photos of them in this part of Bristol"

Obvs I was rummaging through the T2 adaptors with a torch, not looking at the skies :(

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

I can’t believe I missed this never thought it would make it to 52 degrees so went to bed and it looks like it did!!! Anyone know if this is going to happen again tonight? Totally gutted is an understatement 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

What a night. I see there are multiple aurora threads going now, which isn't surprising.

I went out again around midnight, having seen Aurorawatch spike again, and the high cloud had thinned a little.
The light display had improved significantly, now stretching fully from East to West, and overhead. I'm at around 50.7°N. It was changing quite quickly, so it was difficult sometimes to keep switching attention to the best parts.

The most surprising aspect for me was how obvious the colours were to my (ageing) naked eyes. I had expected only monochrome.
I hope we get more tonight, but it was an extraordinary experience, and thanks to all who have shared theirs.

Photos on my camera phone don't do it justice, but here's one:

IMG-20240511-WA0000.jpg.40752bacac97fca450cfffb4de756ec2.jpg

• Like 12

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Paul M said:

And finally the timelapse from Cumbria

My God, it's full of stars!

I wasn't able to get out late last night to go and take a look but did manage to see it earlier in the evening.  Absolutely fantastic, even if all I could see was a set of deep reds and a little green.

Even my partner was impressed and she has absolutely no interest in astronomy.

image.thumb.png.3dd5bc2b8a0c6cc7cac26697be955b1a.png

Edited by GrumpiusMaximus
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, Simon Pepper said:

I can’t believe I missed this never thought it would make it to 52 degrees so went to bed and it looks like it did!!! Anyone know if this is going to happen again tonight? Totally gutted is an understatement 

The activity is still going red unbroken which doesn't usually happen next morning, so there's a chance, high activity around midnight if you look at metoffice space weather global map aurora forecast. Looks like a cloudier forecast tonight though...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That was amazing. Huge band glowing over my head from horizon to horizon, mostly North East - South West, but could clearly see it due South as well. Stunning!

DSCF4712.JPG

DSCF4711.JPG

DSCF4717.JPG

• Like 15

Words fail me , an astronomical event occurs as forecast , under clear skies , and what a show it was too ... 😲

I've caught hints of the aurora in the northern horizon once or twice , but to see it stretching beyond the zenith and to the south of me , naked eye here in Suffolk ..... !

So glad most got to witness the spectacular sight and apologies to those who missed out , you're going to be fed up to the back teeth of seeing it plastered over every platform imagiable for the next few days ... 😉

Had a few issues photo-wise here , I'm out of practice messing about in the middle of a field in the dark with the camera not tethered to a laptop. In such a rush to get shooting with the display reaching right across the sky from West to East that I forgot to switch off the AF , caught the lights though which is what mattered to me ... :drunken_smilie:

P.S. I need a wider lens , the 10mm wasn't near wide enough ... !!!

• Like 12

Incredible display from Cornwall, could see some shades of green, purples and occasionally blue in the light pillars. Didn't know where to look at times, even had some bright transient pillars appear due South. Took about 1,700 shots for various timelapses using my 14mm and 35mm lenses.

• Like 2

Still very active 15hrs in. Sadly I doubt it’ll still be going tonight, but I’ve tried to jinx myself so they prove me wrong!

Peter

1 hour ago, Steve Ward said:

P.S. I need a wider lens , the 10mm wasn't near wide enough ... !!!

I found the same too, especially on APSC. I wished I had had a fish eye to trial on it. Still, it was spectacular anyway. 

• Like 1

I can't believe I missed this! I always take aurora reports with a pinch of salt as usually its northern parts that get to see a glimpse and with Birminghams light dome to the north I've never really thought we could get views like this in Rubery, West Midlands. Picture below is taken off the local FB page. Gutted!

FB_IMG_1715425803855.jpg

• Like 2