NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

40 minutes ago, MartianHill said:

Hmmmm that FS128 looks nice in the For Sale section 🙂

Indeed, a lovely scope. Don’t hang around too long if you’ve been wanting one!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Stu said:

Indeed, a lovely scope. Don’t hang around too long if you’ve been wanting one!

Wanting and reality are sadly two very different things 🤷🏻

Edited by MartianHill
  • Sad 1

Really sad day for you Dave @F15Rules never thought you’d be selling your FS128 seriously!! 😩

if it’s something lighter and more portable you are after what about joining the Tak FC-100 appreciation society 🤔😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

I was thinking that may be you should buy it Stu. Imagine what an amazing binocular it would make when paired with yours. 😈

This has been done with a pair of Vixen FL102S's.

Web capture_16-6-2023_162255_buyee.jp.jpeg

• Like 4

While it is sad to part with a much appreciated piece of equipment it is sometimes the correct decision to make. I parted with my great 12 inch dobsonian last year, that I had owned and used for over a decade. I sometimes miss it but it was the right thing to do. I will probably part with more scopes in due course and it is quite possible that my wonderful 130mm F/9.2 LZOS triplet will be the next to go. As long as they go to an appreciative new home, that can make better use of them, that's all we can ask.

I think it is better to make a thoughtful but pro-active decision than to let things languish and gather dust. That is probably sadder still.

Edited by John
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, John said:

While it is sad to part with a much appreciated piece of equipment it is sometimes the correct decision to make. I parted with my great 12 inch dobsonian last year, that I had owned and used for over a decade. I sometimes miss it but it was the right thing to do. I will probably part with more scopes in due course and it is quite possible that my wonderful 130mm F/9.2 LZOS triplet will be the next to go. As long as they go to an appreciative new home, that can make better use of them, that's all we can ask.

I think it is better to make a thoughtful but pro-active decision than to let things languish and gather dust. That is probably sadder still.

As ever, the voice of wisdom😁.

• Thanks 1

Obtaining that "dream setup" is great but things can change in life and if that means it's not getting the use it deserves then moving it on is the best course imo. You can always buy it back later down the line!

• Like 3

It's very tempting and desirable, but, it just leads me back to the same issue. It would need a bigger mount than I have and would negate the portability and light weight aspect of the FC-100. 

If I want more aperture I have my 12", if I want quick set up I have the FC-100. I'm settled with what I have :smile:

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

It's very tempting and desirable, but, it just leads me back to the same issue. It would need a bigger mount than I have and would negate the portability and light weight aspect of the FC-100. 

If I want more aperture I have my 12", if I want quick set up I have the FC-100. I'm settled with what I have :smile:

Not being funny Michael but you're actually starting to sound like Mr. Spock!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Hi everyone,

What a great bunch you all are! Many thanks for all your kind comments, I really appreciate them all..

I thought very long and hard about doing this..once I made the decision to sell, I remembered very clearly that when I shared my joy at aquiring my FS128 back in 2017, John posted a nice comment, and then added at the end of his reply.."Now, for goodness sake don't ever sell it!!".. a reference, I'm sure, to my previous history of buying and then selling again, numerous scopes!

The truth is, I never would have sold the scope had it not been for a worsening of my age related eye condition (my right eye), which started about 4.5 years ago, but has got noticeably worse in the last 2 years. My left eye is still pretty good, and I've trained myself to use my left eye for cyclops viewing, but it's actually binoviewing (something I struggled to adapt to when I first tried it about 10 years ago), that has helped me a lot..I now have a good quality pair of Maxbright IIs, and with these I find the two eyed view is significantly more comfortable than with one eye, at least on many objects such as planets and the moon.

However, the binoviewers plus my preferred large 2" eyepieces do add weight to my setup, and in the past year the combination of weight and unpredictable weather has severely curtailed the number and quality of my observing sessions.

So, my next and hopefully my last scope setup will be lighter, and shorter, but still of high quality..

I feel strangely content with all this, and John and others nailed it when he said "While it is sad to part with a much appreciated piece of equipment it is sometimes the correct decision to make."

I now feel sure I have made the right decision.

Thanks so much for all your support.

Watch this space for the next installment!😉😊.

Dave

• Like 18

Sounds like the right decision for you Dave in your circumstances, really sorry about your eye problems.  ☹️ Sounds like you are working round your issue though.

I have to say, the picture of @Saganite holding the scope made me laugh - he has a look that says “this is my scope now!” 😂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Dave. Just to follow up other comments. What works for you, works for YOU ! 
I’ll look forward to the next chapter of your Astro kit journey. 
As already noted, you have options ready to hand  that are not shabby at all 

All the best.  John 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, RobertI said:

Sounds like the right decision for you Dave in your circumstances, really sorry about your eye problems.  ☹️ Sounds like you are working round your issue though.

I have to say, the picture of @Saganite holding the scope made me laugh - he has a look that says “this is my scope now!” 😂 

If only...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

43 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

I think Dave has more than just the FS128 in his armoury, so I doubt he's going to be without a jewel to observe with.

Thanks Mike. 

My only other scope is the 1980s vintage Vixen 80mm F15 refractor.. I thought I have to keep that or Stu or one of the other mods will demand that I change my handle under the Trade descriptions act!🤦‍♂️😂.

Joking apart though, even now I feel that a quality long focus achro can deliver outstanding stellar images like no other...

I don't have my own mount for the Vixen 80mm but have borrowed a nice old SP equatorial which suits the scope well.

Dave

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, F15Rules said:

Thanks Mike. 

My only other scope is the 1980s vintage Vixen 80mm F15 refractor.. I thought I have to keep that or Stu or one of the other mods will demand that I change my handle under the Trade descriptions act!🤦‍♂️😂.

Joking apart though, even now I feel that a quality long focus achro can deliver outstanding stellar images like no other...

I don't have my own mount for the Vixen 80mm but have borrowed a nice old SP equatorial which suits the scope well.

Dave

A 80mm F15 Vixen would be a scope to drool over to me.  My 60mm Carton when first used with a binoviewer completely stunned me, (I think I bought the scope off you!?). I truly love it!! So an 80mm could be a lifetime scope. The sketch of Mars below was made using the 60mm Carton. No one will ever convince me that small apertures are just toys!

IMG_20230105_125637.thumb.jpg.c244deb8d01fc0c92464b5ae8985adfa.jpg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, F15Rules said:

I thought I have to keep that or Stu or one of the other mods will demand that I change my handle under the Trade descriptions act!🤦‍♂️😂.

Wouldn't it be the Dave descriptions act?

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, F15Rules said:

Hi everyone,

What a great bunch you all are! Many thanks for all your kind comments, I really appreciate them all..

I thought very long and hard about doing this..once I made the decision to sell, I remembered very clearly that when I shared my joy at aquiring my FS128 back in 2017, John posted a nice comment, and then added at the end of his reply.."Now, for goodness sake don't ever sell it!!".. a reference, I'm sure, to my previous history of buying and then selling again, numerous scopes!

The truth is, I never would have sold the scope had it not been for a worsening of my age related eye condition (my right eye), which started about 4.5 years ago, but has got noticeably worse in the last 2 years. My left eye is still pretty good, and I've trained myself to use my left eye for cyclops viewing, but it's actually binoviewing (something I struggled to adapt to when I first tried it about 10 years ago), that has helped me a lot..I now have a good quality pair of Maxbright IIs, and with these I find the two eyed view is significantly more comfortable than with one eye, at least on many objects such as planets and the moon.

However, the binoviewers plus my preferred large 2" eyepieces do add weight to my setup, and in the past year the combination of weight and unpredictable weather has severely curtailed the number and quality of my observing sessions.

So, my next and hopefully my last scope setup will be lighter, and shorter, but still of high quality..

I feel strangely content with all this, and John and others nailed it when he said "While it is sad to part with a much appreciated piece of equipment it is sometimes the correct decision to make."

I now feel sure I have made the right decision.

Thanks so much for all your support.

Watch this space for the next installment!😉😊.

Dave

... but in all seriousness, a tough choice but I'm glad you're seeing the positives, as wiser folks than me have already said. 

• Thanks 1

Sorry to hear of your eye problems Dave. I've preempted this happening to me by buying an FS60 - it's just so convenient.

I'm looking forward to the 'F15rules has £3k for a new telescope, let's spend it for him' thread 😄

• Haha 9