NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

2 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

He's probably head in hands at the moment, worrying, and asking himself how on earth he's going to sneak his impulsive purchase past the wife.

I wonder how many people would have snapped up this scope but had to pass for this reason? 🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JeremyS said:

Does anyone in Cheshire like Taks that much? 🤔

I know of at least two nutters, sorry, enthusiasts in Cheshire. Couldn't possibly mention them by name though, as this would doubtless breach some stupid modern day convention or something.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Paz said:

I wonder how many people would have snapped up this scope but had to pass for this reason? 🤪

When I attend events such as PAS, I like to people watch. There you'll see brave and apparently fearless men walking proudly through the crowds of enthusiasts, with everyone's eyes following them as they carry an expensive scope they've just bought, out of the building. And you can hear, almost audibly, everyone's thoughts saying - "He's in bother when he gets home!" 

This is why every astronomer should build or buy an observatory. They are great places to hide things!

download.jpeg.77829b778574c117a3d7084591673c54.jpeg

Edited by mikeDnight
  • Haha 5

There must be a very good business to be had for ‘discrete couriers’, where large scopes can be smuggled into houses in large brown paper envelopes 😉

• Haha 6

Just now, dweller25 said:

I just keep buying white refractors - they all look the same to the wife

That’s my approach too. If she says this one looks larger, I just say no my love, it was a lot further away last time you saw it 🤣🤣

Of course, I do my dear lady a great disservice. She knows full well when yet another scope appears, she just humours me with a dignified silent grace whilst no doubt cursing me under her breath 🤣.

This one was so big I had no choice but to give it a fanfare when it arrived!

IMG_5403.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Stu said:

There must be a very good business to be had for ‘discrete couriers’, where large scopes can be smuggled into houses in a large brown paper envelope 😉

When I find a second hand mount I'm going to get it sent directly to a mate and he is going to lend it to me for a while as "he's got a new mount" - then a few months later I'll casually mention he's selling it cheap so I might as well keep it

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I heard of one chap who printed himself a winning ticket for a brand new Tal refractor. Then he walked into Stockport binocular and Telescope Centre, paid for the scope, then asked them to deliver it along with the winning ticket. It wasn't me! 

• Haha 7

16 hours ago, dweller25 said:

I just keep buying white refractors - they all look the same to the wife

That worked for me when I sold my FC100DC and bought an FC100DZ. She suspected nothing! For some reason however, the white camouflaged didn't quite work in the same way when she caught me quickly trying to smuggle the FS128 through the hall way and past the living room.  I tried to give an off the cuff, but plausible explanation, but ended up sounding more like Norman Collier performing his faulty microphone act. I thought I'd better remind her about who's boss in this house, but she cut me short by saying, rather dismissively - "Go and play in your shed!"  "It's not a shed!!" I retorted, "It's an obser~!" as I closed the front door.

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

When I attend events such as PAS, I like to people watch. There you'll see brave and apparently fearless men walking proudly through the crowds of enthusiasts, with everyone's eyes following them as they carry an expensive scope they've just bought, out of the building. And you can hear, almost audibly, everyone's thoughts saying - "He's in bother when he gets home!" 

This is why every astronomer should build or buy an observatory. They are great places to hide things!

download.jpeg.77829b778574c117a3d7084591673c54.jpeg

Not so Mike, at least not for me.

When I put the recently arrived Lyra Optic into my dome, replacing the Vixen ED103, both beautiful white tubes, my wife entered to see what I was 'fiddling around with ' and it took about 30 seconds before she said, looking at the dew shield, " Lyra Optic, when did that arrive and where is the Vixen"

I have not parted with the Vixen I hasten to add.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

That worked for me when I sold my FC100DC and bought an FC100DZ. She suspected nothing! For some reason however, the white camouflaged didn't quite work in the same way when she caught me quickly trying to smuggle the FS128 through the hall way and past the living room.  I tried to give an off the cuff, but plausible explanation, but ended up sounding more like Norman Collier performing his faulty microphone act. I thought I'd better remind her about who's boss in this house, but she cut me short by saying, rather dismissively - "Go and play in your shed!"  "It's not a shed!!" I retorted, "It's an obser~!" as I closed the front door.

I had a weird dream the other night that I was in the obsy with my C11 and my wife came in said “that squatty black tube looks awful, why don’t you replace with a sleek white Takahashi FS 152?” 🤔

• Haha 5

26 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

I had a weird dream the other night that I was in the obsy with my C11 and my wife came in said “that squatty black tube looks awful, why don’t you replace with a sleek white Takahashi FS 152?” 🤔

Freudian slip ?

• Haha 2