Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Triplet refractor by post or not?

Normally I would have no hesitation ordering such from FLO, but after @John mentioned he would not as it was too risky, I now have my doubts. Unfortunately, FLO HQ is too far, the boss would never agree and I would prefer not to use others closer, even though they have a good reputation, They are just not FLO! :grin:

So I thought I would ask a more formal question, to get a wider opinion. So is it safe to get a triplet by post, or not? Is it as John says, to much to go wrong, even with the best of courier? I am not doubting John, just want a wider opinion, perhaps looking for an excuse to get one! 🤪

• Like 1

I’m sure FLO ship triplets all the time with no issues, and would certainly sort out any unlikely issues you might have. As Jeremy says, Taks are triplet boxed with spacers between each so I wouldn’t have any qualms about having one shipped to me.

• Like 2

All I can say is that I have personal experience of scopes big  (Esprit 150, RASA8) and small being  safely delivered from FLO over a number of years.
They clearly have optimised the delivery process for fragile optical equipment, having had many years of experience and it is their core business after all.

I would have no concerns.

• Like 1

I bought an Esprit 120 ED from FLO earlier on in the year with no problems whatsoever with delivery.  The packaging, in terms of protection offered, could not really be any better. The scope itself was housed in a hard shell case, itself foam lined and heavily cushioned with a number of internal points of support. The hard case was then packed in two external carboard cartons with the inner carton again being padded with cushioning foam inserts. Optically checked before shipping and absolutely perfect on receipt.  I'd have no hesitation in doing the same again - funds permitting of course :) 

Jim 

Edited by saac
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, John said:

I think I did qualify my opinion by saying that I would probably make an exception for FLO.

You did John, but your post made me think and doubt. I have no doubt that FLO would sort any problems, none at all, which is why I always prefer to buy there. I am just not a fan of any back and forth, even with such first rate customer service, as FLO always offer. It's not that I doubt FLO, but rather couriers, which to my mind have got worse, even DPD. One of their drivers  told me of deteriorating work conditions and increased pressure. I have had one damaged parcel delivered from them, which while solved quickly, was an annoying delay. It looked like it had ben thrown across the van! 

@dweller25 One of the new Askar triplets. I am just shallow and like the look of them! Added to which they can pack down small as they are designed to break apart. :grin:

I bought a second hand 90mm TS triplet here in the States without any issues during shipping.  I'm sure FLO would do at least as well if not much better packing the scope and choosing a courier.

However, SCTs and their thin corrector plates are another issue vis-a-vis shipping:

• Like 1

My experience with Flo (and others) is that there is no risk involved only inconvenience if something goes wrong. The odd issues I have had over the years have taught me that suppliers will do all they can to resolve whatever the problem was. In particular Flo's post delivery support is first class so I never worry about ordering from them. The very worst is that you would be without the kit for a few days.

I order a lot of stuff from online suppliers and some of the delivery outfits are a bit flaky with the "tried to deliver but no one was in" excuse but I cannot recall ever not actually getting my hands on the item even when its involved a trip to the depot. And I am taking of 1000's of items here.

• Like 3

I think one thing that might concern some is whether they will be able to tell that a scope is not quite in the (optical) shape that it should be when it arrives.

It is really only star testing and / or imaging with the scope that will show up optical issues. Unless it's a gross problem such as a smashed or loose optical component of course. Such severe issues are, thankfully, very rare though.

I agree that FLO's after sales / delivery service is really excellent and, if an issue is detected, they will move very rapidly to rectify it at minimal inconvenience to the customer 👍

• Like 1

Taking a slightly different look at this.....

When you buy anything delicate and it is shipped, it has to be wrapped/packaged in a certain way.
Actually it has meet certain specific conditions.

When the outer box/crate/whatever is dropped onto a hard surface, it experiences a rapid decelaration.
Newton tells us that rapid deceleration means large forces.
If you think of parcel abusing companies dropping things 1 or even 2 metres onto a concrete floor, that is reasonable.
Your box may be solid wood, and survive all but unscathed. It may be cardboard and have a dented corner.

The important thing is what happens inside the box.
If the object is wrapped in multiple layers of bubble wrap, it compresses the bubbles on impact, and returns to original shape.
In other words the object experiences low forces and survives undamaged.

Considering a scope fixed into polystyrene (or similar) rings and blocks.
Again the polystyrene deforms and recovers shape. Protecting the scope.

Scope manufacturers know they have to get their stuff from factory gate to end user. Encountering shipping containers, parcel dropping companies, etc on the way.
They know how to choose packing materials.

Now to stupid packing. Something that can happen when buying used equipment.
Put the scope in the middle of a box of polystyrene chippings. Yes while the truck is bouncing over cobbles, it works its way to the bottom, negating protection.
Then you pack a scope and accessory separately with minimal packing between. On a drop/impact they come into contact and you get paint damage or worse.

I would have no worries about buying an expensive scope from a reputable supplier and having it shipped.
Now if it was an ebay/Amazon bargain not in original boxes, or repacked.........

HTH, David.

• Like 2

Very few of us have the luxury of living close to a major astro-dealer so we have to rely on having everything shipped. It has worked well for more than the dozen scopes I have bought from dealers so far. As David indicate, one should be slightly worried if buying from a private person that may make packing mistakes.

• Like 2

There is always a risk with 'over enthusiastic' posties.

I bought a WO  GT81 a couple of years back and some rough handling managed to kick some swarf onto the inner lens element which was removed successfully by the guys at RVO (the poster was very helpful in this regard). 

On the positive side I bought a Stellamira 90EDT from FLO and it arrived in perfect condition.

As others have said, I'd have no concerns with buying from FLO; if buying privately I'd collect if possible or make sure the item was insured appropriately. 

• Like 1

UPS and FedEx here in the States both way outperform their USPS counterparts.  I've lost track of the number of misdelivered USPS packages or packages marked as delivered when they were still in the system just to keep their on time delivery metrics high.

Since USPS packages go into locked mail slots, I can't just go and find them when they're delivered to the wrong slot.  I have to hope my neighbor doesn't check his mail and decide to just keep my package for himself (too indifferent to do otherwise).  I then need to catch my postal worker at our mailboxes the next day and force them to check the other boxes for my misdelivered package.

By comparison, this has happened only once with UPS and never with FedEx.  DHL is barely present in the US.  And with UPS misdeliveries, I just go around the neighborhood once I'm notified it's delivered but not on my doorstep and check the usual suspects' doorsteps that have the same street address but on a difference street and just grab my package for myself.  I do worry someone will think I'm a porch pirate doing that, though.

• Like 1