NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

More a telescope owner than an actual observer….. 😢

Stu

I've had two outreach sessions over the past couple of weeks that did turn out reasonably clear. Last Saturday was particularly good. I'm using the good vibes that I got from those sessions to sustain me to the next clear night. The exclamations from folks seeing Saturn and Jupiter for the first time through a scope do help to re-charge the enthusiasm 👍

• Like 10

It's been a horrible year for cloud. I haven't had a good session in weeks and when they sky was clear the last few nights I had a bad neck 😡

I can understand the frustration. However,  if you decide to quit, I'm sure I could take care of the FS-128 for you... :biggrin:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Ratlet said:

'awful and heartbreaking realisation that it's more often clear in the early am rather than the late pm.  Fortunately having just turned 40 I now have to get up for a pee in the night.  This is becoming a quick clear sky check.'

I don't see it as 'awful and heartbreaking'. 2am to 4am is my happy time😀

It's not getting up for a pee, it's getting up for astronomy, and having a pee before you start 😉

P.S. I'm on about 50 sessions this year, about average for me.

Edited by Roy Challen
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Roy Challen said:

I don't see it as 'awful and heartbreaking'. 2am to 4am is my happy time😀

It's not getting up for a pee, it's getting up for astronomy, and having a pee before you start 😉

P.S. I'm on about 50 sessions this year, about average for me.

All so true Roy.  It seems at least a decade since I have enjoyed an unbroken night's  sleep...🤣

We all know of course that the best seeing is often in the hour or two before dawn, so really, it is a win, win.

But, of course, I understand that things are different when retired.

Edited by Saganite
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

When I got my first scope in 2012 I was out 3/4 times a month, this year has been very patchy been hemmed in by the weather my 10" turned up and I have only had it out 4 times.  At most I have been out 8 times this year and not been out for 6 weeks now its that bad I put the 10" up for sale as I am not using it.

• Sad 5

8 hours ago, Ratlet said:

I only started last year and so far it's been about par for the course.  Zero clear skies till about mid August.  

I do think we're turning the corner now.  The forum activity is way up in the last couple weeks.

One thing I found helps is the awful and heartbreaking realisation that it's more often clear in the early am rather than the late pm.  Fortunately having just turned 40 I now have to get up for a pee in the night.  This is becoming a quick clear sky check.

Too much detail.  Just wait     untill you're 69 😅.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

44 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

When I got my first scope in 2012 I was out 3/4 times a month, this year has been very patchy been hemmed in by the weather my 10" turned up and I have only had it out 4 times.  At most I have been out 8 times this year and not been out for 6 weeks now its that bad I put the 10" up for sale as I am not using it.

If you sell it, you'll find the clear nights increase ten fold.  Scopes don't mind waiting for the next clear night - they are more patient than humans.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Mr Spock said:

It's been a horrible year for cloud. I haven't had a good session in weeks and when they sky was clear the last few nights I had a bad neck 😡

I can understand the frustration. However,  if you decide to quit, I'm sure I could take care of the FS-128 for you... :biggrin:

Don't you mean 'it's been a good year for cloud' ?  😊

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, Captain Scarlet said:

I hear you. And when the clear and free night does appear, which scope to use? I’ve missed at least one recent clear night over indecision.

M

I suggest you sell all but one of your scopes.  Problem solved 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Saganite said:

All so true Roy.  It seems at least a decade since I have enjoyed an unbroken night's  sleep...🤣

We all know of course that the best seeing is often in the hour or two before dawn, so really, it is a win, win.

But, of course, I understand that things are different when retired.

I'm a long way from being retired!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

One issue that has affected me (non-bladder related !) is that having been in the hobby for quite a long time, when the conditions are doubtful it can be quite hard to get motivated. It helps if there is some new gear or modification to try out or a special event in the sky to try and see though 🙂 

That is also why doing some outreach is important to me perhaps more so now than it was in the past. Being with folks seeing things for the first time is almost as good as seeing them yourself for the first time 🙂

I have occasionally thought about selling up most of my portable stuff, buying a big dob and a small mobile home with a trailer for the dob and travelling around just showing people the sky. I suppose it's following in the John Dobson tradition in an odd way 🤔

Not sure my other half would approve of me turning into a type of wandering astronomy minstrel though 🙄

• Like 18

I may yet relieve you of my irritating presence. 😁 But, many things conspired,
to make ME (subconsciously?) less likely to do any Astronomy? "Old Age", the
weather, security lighting? But most of all the impact of Covid in recent years. 🤔
(It certainly killed off our local Astronomy Society in its original format/place!)

But then, you kind of get used to associating with Amateur Astronomers...
Heaven help me, where else would one find such... "erudite company"! 🤣

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Captain Scarlet said:

I hear you. And when the clear and free night does appear, which scope to use? I’ve missed at least one recent clear night over indecision.

M

I've not lost a whole night, but I have wasted observing time trying to decide which scope to use.  Makes me wonder at times if I should pick one scope and sell the rest.  🤔   I won't be able to waste time deciding on what to use if there's only one option.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, jjohnson3803 said:

I've not lost a whole night, but I have wasted observing time trying to decide which scope to use.  Makes me wonder at times if I should pick one scope and sell the rest.  🤔   I won't be able to waste time deciding on what to use if there's only one option.

That's an interesting conundrum. Of course no reason, if you have the time n' patience to dismiss indecision and set up two or three side by side for some observational comparison. That would make the most of a snatched opportunity - in-between our succession of named storm systems that is. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

This year has been a bit of a write off due to  building work at my house, but I have had a few sessions squeezed in between the disruptions. I have had some nice views of Jupiter lately but not had a good session with Saturn yet. Every year there seem to be more clouds, which is of course in line with the dreary climate models. But, I'll observe when I can.

• Like 2

I'm patiently waiting until I retire in just less than 4 years. Then when a clear sky does crop up I won't have the dreaded 'but it's work in the morning' thought putting me off. And as someone else mentioned there'll also be early mornings to consider. I just have to survive that long 😁

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, glafnazur said:

I'm patiently waiting until I retire in just less than 4 years. Then when a clear sky does crop up I won't have the dreaded 'but it's work in the morning' thought putting me off. And as someone else mentioned there'll also be early mornings to consider. I just have to survive that long

You can do it :wink2: I'm off outside in a few moments knowing I don't have to get up tomorrow. It's a great feeling.

• Like 4

On 17/10/2023 at 22:10, Saganite said:

I have bought 3 reflectors in the past few weeks  Stu ,by mistake...can't help myself... 😅

One of them is a little 130mm Perl Vixen, never seen such a focuser on a scope before. It was in a bad way but I have fixed it, and it is super smooth.

Had two sessions so far and I really like it. I will do a write up on it eventually.

IMG_3096.JPG

Very nice, Steve..

..and I never thought I'd press "Like" for a ships funnel🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️!

Dave

• Haha 3

On 18/10/2023 at 10:45, John said:

One issue that has affected me (non-bladder related !) is that having been in the hobby for quite a long time, when the conditions are doubtful it can be quite hard to get motivated. It helps if there is some new gear or modification to try out or a special event in the sky to try and see though 🙂 

That is also why doing some outreach is important to me perhaps more so now than it was in the past. Being with folks seeing things for the first time is almost as good as seeing them yourself for the first time 🙂

I have occasionally thought about selling up most of my portable stuff, buying a big dob and a small mobile home with a trailer for the dob and travelling around just showing people the sky. I suppose it's following in the John Dobson tradition in an odd way 🤔

Not sure my other half would approve of me turning into a type of wandering astronomy minstrel though 🙄

You should ask her, John.

She might find herself to be "quite content"...😁

Dave

• Confused 1