Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

24 panel Samyang Milky Way.

ollypenrice

Paul Kummer planned the capture (tricky because so low from our Lat 44:19N), drove the scope and stitched the linear panels in APP. Peter Woods provided mount and camera and I post-processed the mosaic and hosted the rig. Great job by Paul on all counts.

Capture details: 8x3 minutes per panel (this is not a typo!) binned in Super Pixel, so half of full size.  24x24 mins makes 9.6 hours all in. It is all in one shot colour.

The Eagle, Swan, Sagittarius Triplet and M22 had help from telescopic data in stock. The difference made to the nebulaie was trivial but M22 was transformed from a blobular into a globular.  :grin:

So how did the 24 panels look in super pixel at half size? Clean as a whistle. We run the lens wide open at F2.

spacer.png

Larger one here: 

https://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/DUSTY-DARK-AND-MILKY-WAY-TARGETS/i-khRN6vQ/A

Olly

• Like 41
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, fwm891 said:

Wow! Incredible. To me whats striking is the amount of dark dusty stuff thats showing. Magicians all involved...

Magicians, yes, but the magicians are the optical engineers at Samyang, the electronics gurus making the chips and the software guys like Mabula of APP, the Pixinsight team, the Photoshop folks and the mighty Russ Croman.  Paul, Peter and I are just what used to be called 'The poor bloody infantry.'

😁lly

Edited by ollypenrice
  • Like 2

Incredible image and associated effort!

I'm seeing some sort of artifacts in red channel. Could these be due to mosaic stitching or is it something else there?

It is strange however, since these are taken with OSC camera and any such artifacts would equally affect each channel - but they seem to be present in red only:

Stack-1.gif.62cb81b8ba8fd4bf6fee3d64d31abf35.gif

here is a "blink" between red and green channel. There seems to be some sort of square / rectangular pattern feature in red channel.

I first noticed it in this region in original image:

image.png.7b35925a33618da8c5e8112646d107d0.png

where it shows as stair case of different hue.

Very nice Olly...  I had a feeling that you' chaps would be doing this region :)  ..     Vlaiv  the artefacts are I suspect from Star Exterminator, Olly, did you use the large overlap option? I've found that this option minimises them  (although takes absolutely ages)  and that they appear more readily when the integration time is short.

Dave

2 hours ago, vlaiv said:

Incredible image and associated effort!

I'm seeing some sort of artifacts in red channel. Could these be due to mosaic stitching or is it something else there?

It is strange however, since these are taken with OSC camera and any such artifacts would equally affect each channel - but they seem to be present in red only:

Stack-1.gif.62cb81b8ba8fd4bf6fee3d64d31abf35.gif

here is a "blink" between red and green channel. There seems to be some sort of square / rectangular pattern feature in red channel.

I first noticed it in this region in original image:

image.png.7b35925a33618da8c5e8112646d107d0.png

where it shows as stair case of different hue.

26 minutes ago, Laurin Dave said:

Very nice Olly...  I had a feeling that you' chaps would be doing this region :)  ..     Vlaiv  the artefacts are I suspect from Star Exterminator, Olly, did you use the large overlap option? I've found that this option minimises them  (although takes absolutely ages)  and that they appear more readily when the integration time is short.

Dave

I think Dave has it. These are propbably StarX artifacts.  I was aware of them and tried to reduce them cosmetically but could probably do so a little better. I do use 'Large tile overlap' and, oddly, don't find it takes too much longer.

I wonder if partially stretching the red channel through an inverted mask of itself might work.

2 hours ago, scotty38 said:

Very, very nice and lots of stars, plenty of stars, can never have too many stars!

Star size has become a difficult call. I think a small presentation of the image looks better with larger stars while, zoomed in, smaller stars look better. One thing I did do for the first time is an extra stretch of the stars-only through a mask made of the starless image with boosted contrast. That meant that stars against bright nebulosity got an extra stretch beyond those seen against darkness. This is photometrically incorrect, of course, but is visually more natural since tiny stars seen against brightness simply disappear, visually.

Olly

• Like 2

9.6 hrs integration? Amazing! Just to amuse us poor plebs - what was the processing time? If we are now in a situation where reasonable amateur kit captures data faster than we can process it, it turns the world upside down.

On 30/07/2023 at 13:53, old_eyes said:

9.6 hrs integration? Amazing! Just to amuse us poor plebs - what was the processing time? If we are now in a situation where reasonable amateur kit captures data faster than we can process it, it turns the world upside down.

I think Paul spent some time trying different parameters in APP's mosaic making software. As regards post-processing, it wasn't all that difficult. Maybe four hours to get it nearly finished. After that I do tend to tinker endlessly over several days, but only in search of tiny improvements.

Olly

• Like 1