Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What did the postman bring? V2

Grant

24 minutes ago, Stu said:

This little gem just turned up courtesy of @John. Looking forward to giving it a go. Hopefully might have a chance to compare with the 22mm Type 4 Nag, but that depends on the weather and when it sells. I hope I don’t regret the change, but doubt I will. This is either my second or third, I can’t remember 🤣🤣

IMG_7834.jpeg

IMG_7835.jpeg

Will be interested to hear how the comparison goes. A recent thread left me wondering whether to do the reverse and sell the APM HDC 20mm for the 22mm Nagler. It probably means it’s been too long since I last bought an eyepiece 😂

• Haha 3

Postie Pete has been and delivered. a little filter based haul 🙂

First up a pair of Baader 2" Empty Filter frames,
oddly cheaper delivered from Telescopes Canada than a UK supplier or Baader themselves.

IMG_8240.thumb.jpeg.412e000e36b65bb9faf13e75a1c3c578.jpeg

Allowed me to remount the Orion Ultrablock that I was very kindly given, but sadly I could not screw onto my then only 2" EP.

IMG_8247.thumb.jpeg.1101592f56e1df2885a545f622656739.jpeg

And finally a Japan Made 80A filter, Bargain off eBay 👍

IMG_8245.thumb.jpeg.a24562384efd0fc2a726cf075d4d19c5.jpeg

Edited by Alan White
  • Like 10

44 minutes ago, Alan White said:

Postie Pete has been and delivered. a little filter based haul 🙂

First up a pair of Baader 2" Empty Filter frames,
oddly cheaper delivered from Telescopes Canada than a UK supplier or Baader themselves.

IMG_8240.thumb.jpeg.412e000e36b65bb9faf13e75a1c3c578.jpeg

Allowed me to remount the Orion Ultrablock that I was very kindly given, but sadly I could not screw onto my then only 2" EP.

IMG_8247.thumb.jpeg.1101592f56e1df2885a545f622656739.jpeg

And finally a Japan Made 80A filter, Bargain off eBay 👍

IMG_8245.thumb.jpeg.a24562384efd0fc2a726cf075d4d19c5.jpeg

@Alan White Alan, if I may, what is the empty filter frame used for? I've seen this before my friend? 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

ADM , Skytee Clamp ...and a 2" Stella Mira Diagonal , delivered this morning by the Royal Mail . 

20240425_104018.jpg

20240425_104111.jpg

@Stu1smartcookie Nice! I love those reassuringly chunky alloy knobs on those plates, it just feels so much more secure! 

That diagonal looks ace too! 

Edited by wesdon1
missed a bit
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, wesdon1 said:

@Stu1smartcookie Nice! I love those reassuringly chunky alloy knobs on those plates, it just feels so much more secure! 

That diagonal looks ace too! 

yes i've read nice things about the diagonal ... as for the clamp , the originals were not bad but of course the dual knobs on the ADM are preferable :)

6 hours ago, wesdon1 said:

@Alan White Alan, if I may, what is the empty filter frame used for? I've seen this before my friend? 

If you look at the second image in my post, you will discover my use....
I used it to remount a good filter than had odd threads in my case.

• Thanks 1

Adding a few more books to my library after the delivery last week. This haul courtesy of FLO. One issue is I do not own The Night Sky Guide Volume 1 and it it seems to be out of stock everywhere. The completion-ist part of my personality will scratch away at me if I cannot locate a copy.

IMG_5022.thumb.jpeg.80f15f4816925b77a82b2ee459031501.jpeg

While I greatly admire those who make their own scopes, I lack those skills but I am curious to learn a bit more, hence two more of the books.

Also bought another Oklop bag. This time for two smaller APM LZOS scopes. It’s my third one and I quite like them.

IMG_5023.thumb.jpeg.b3cd3d5ee380bf10687546c972cb9a2f.jpeg

• Like 14

2 hours ago, DirkSteele said:

Adding a few more books to my library after the delivery last week. This haul courtesy of FLO. One issue is I do not own The Night Sky Guide Volume 1 and it it seems to be out of stock everywhere. The completion-ist part of my personality will scratch away at me if I cannot locate a copy.

IMG_5022.thumb.jpeg.80f15f4816925b77a82b2ee459031501.jpeg

While I greatly admire those who make their own scopes, I lack those skills but I am curious to learn a bit more, hence two more of the books.

Also bought another Oklop bag. This time for two smaller APM LZOS scopes. It’s my third one and I quite like them.

IMG_5023.thumb.jpeg.b3cd3d5ee380bf10687546c972cb9a2f.jpeg

Dirk, you might try contacting the Webb Society.  They had a couple of copies of volume 1 at the recent astronomy show on their sales table.  They will post items too.  At the same show I bought a copy of volume 4 (The Glories of the Milky Way).which is out of print but they had been sent an odd copy from the publishers. 

If this fails it might be worth putting a wanted ad in the classifieds.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Very nice @JeremyS - sometimes i love my one and only Ethos (an 8mm) and other times i'm not sure (about the 100-degree FOV) and find my Delos more comfortable and somehow "lazier" to use - the to and fro is preventing me buying any more of either to fill in the gaps at lower focal lengths (i could do with a 6mm of one or the other definitely and possibly one other medium focal length) so its a good cost saving bit of paralysis to prolong on my part 😉 

Do you like them unreservedly? Even in the longer focal lengths that may engender larger exist pupils?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, josefk said:

Very nice @JeremyS - sometimes i love my one and only Ethos (an 8mm) and other times i'm not sure (about the 100-degree FOV) and find my Delos more comfortable and somehow "lazier" to use - the to and fro is preventing me buying any more of either to fill in the gaps at lower focal lengths (i could do with a 6mm of one or the other definitely and possibly one other medium focal length) so its a good cost saving bit of paralysis to prolong on my part 😉 

Do you like them unreservedly? Even in the longer focal lengths that may engender larger exist pupils?

I’ll let you know when I’ve tried the Ethos 21 😊

I find the E17 compelling. Where Ethos really come into their own is in the short focal lengths, for planetary work. I’d laboured decades under the misapprehension that the free the EP the better for high resolution work, but I had to eat my hat after trying the Ethos.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JeremyS said:

When I started on the Ethos journey 2 years ago knew I wouldn’t rest until I’d completed the set……

Congrats on the full house! This is the kind of talk, though, that makes me think I shouldn't add a second Ethos! I'm a terrible completionist...

I have just the one at the mo, the 21 mm! The 13 is very tempting, and I've been mulling it over. Please tell me it's your least favourite.

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, LukeTheNuke said:

Congrats on the full house! This is the kind of talk, though, that makes me think I shouldn't add a second Ethos! I'm a terrible completionist...

I have just the one at the mo, the 21 mm! The 13 is very tempting, and I've been mulling it over. Please tell me it's your least favourite.

You won’t like this but my E13 is my most used of the set. It’s fairly close to my Apollo, so you could perhaps justify the E13 on the basis that you are saving a shed load of money over the A11 😊

PS, completionist here too  😊

Edited by JeremyS
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, JeremyS said:

When I started on the Ethos journey 2 years ago knew I wouldn’t rest until I’d completed the set……

IMG_6398.thumb.jpeg.bbecc8d671c44bb4e0059dc8e29a82fc.jpeg

Snap! A real favourite of mine. Was taking a look at rather large Kite sitting at the top of a tree when I took this pic.

IMG_4980.thumb.jpeg.5594d401ebc359d04973cfbd4e629c53.jpeg

Recently picked up the 13mm too but not used much yet. I fear the need to complete sets may also grab me now I have two.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, JeremyS said:

IMG_6398.thumb.jpeg.bbecc8d671c44bb4e0059dc8e29a82fc.jpeg

I want to join this club Jeremy ... The TV club that is , looks like it's another expensive time ahead . 

• Like 4

No postie involved. I fetched it so I could give it a cosmetic look over first with the friendly guys at RVO. 
Clear skies tomorrow night in theory but I’m not sure I’ll be set up to manage the predicted high RH/high dew point by then 💦  let’s see.

IMG_5183.thumb.jpeg.4d35bbdf097591a9ffc48369cb957736.jpeg

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Andy ES said:

Always been interested in the science, art and politics of this plaque. Now I’ve got it.

IMG_0162.jpeg

IMG_0157.jpeg

I reckon your postie gets the prize for the longest delivery run 👍🏻

• Haha 10

On 25/04/2024 at 17:38, Alan White said:

If you look at the second image in my post, you will discover my use....
I used it to remount a good filter than had odd threads in my case.

@Alan White Oh right ok that makes sense! Thanks Alan! 

• Like 1