NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Practical Astronomy Show, Stoneleigh 2024, March 23rd

I guess if your reasonably local then a 'Window shop' is an option at an event like that. But having travelled lots of miles you just feel you need to come away with a 'little'🤫 trinket to make the effort worth while...

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Kettering or Stoneleigh - not much difference for me, only 10 miles less  to Stoneleigh and still 240!  Just as well.  I don't really need anything.  But once trapped among all the goodies, and particularly after a lunchtime pint, need goes out the window and want kicks in!  So it's just as well I'm not intending to make the 480 mile round trip 😉

But for those who are going, have a great time and don't overheat the plastic!

Cheers,

Peter.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Nigella Bryant said:

Love to go to this but I've already spent this years allocation on a new mount, lol. 

Don't tempt me, lol 😆 seriously, don't. 

You should definitely come along....:smiley:

• Like 2

On 14/01/2024 at 21:57, mikeDnight said:

2023-03-1314_43_35.jpg.3a10f39f3101653fe8a8ea8f7b7b7bf0.jpg

After phoning my buddy paulastro this evening and discussing this up coming event, Paul suggested that the wonderful group of SGLers in the image above, might be moved out of a slightly guilty conscience, to start a mikeDnight sympathy fund in anticipation of the goodies I may wish to buy on the day. I felt that by mentioning it now, it would give more time to think about it. Others are welcome to join them too if the mood takes you. 😆

I'm afraid you "felt" wrongly, Mike.. no "slightly guilty conscience" in these parts...

Nice try though!!🤪😂..

Now, if someone were to start an appeal to invite JeremyS to the "Practical Handle Show"...😁

• Haha 4

22 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

Is there a word for astro equipment ogling?

I've been orbiting a 4" APO purchase decision for more than a decade and don't ever come into land...

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

• Stu changed the title to Practical Astronomy Show, Stoneleigh 2024, March 23rd
3 hours ago, josefk said:

I've been orbiting a 4" APO purchase decision for more than a decade and don't ever come into land...

..but at least that way you don't "crash and burn" your credit card..🙄🤭

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

..but at least that way you don't "crash and burn" your credit card..🙄🤭

Just a 4" ten years ago and being satisfied with it would have saved me a fortune!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Alan White said:

Drooling, not temped etc. come on folks let's be honest.
Unless our funds are drained or we are restrained by others at these things,
temptation of a new 'thing' always gets us!

Quite right, Mike has little idea of what he is going to buy, but he will be tempted and we will be there to assist.  What else are friends for...:smiley:

For myself, I cannot think of anything, but anything will do.

Looking forward to meeting everyone  again.

• Like 3

I might come along as well, that is OK 🙂

I've not been to the IAS for a few years so it would be good to have a look at the latest developments in equipment, even if I don't really understand them !

Do they still make scopes with glass at one end and a place for a human eye at the other end ? 😉

Edited by John
  • Haha 5

Am I right that FLO aren't attending? 
Does anyone know if any other Askar dealers are going to be there? 
The 140 and 185 APO's should be kicking around by this event and I'd love to have a gander at them.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, globular said:

The 140 and 185 APO's should be kicking around by this event and I'd love to have a gander at them.

Me too. That 185 is mind bogglingly cheap for the size.

• Like 2

This is the Practical Astronomy Show, that has moved venue from Kettering. 
This is not the IAS that is run by another team and has also moved venue.

Both are fine shows and in reality a shame they are both now close in location, the geographic locations in the past influenced some.

The PAS was attended by a group from SGL last year, we met up, talked Astronomy and twaddle and encouraged one another to buy things.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Alan White said:

Can you draw us a map, Alan? Struggling to keep up

🤣

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alan White said:

Both are fine shows and in reality a shame they are both now close in location, the geographic locations in the past influenced some.

The PAS was attended by a group from SGL last year, we met up, talked Astronomy and twaddle and encouraged one another to buy things.

Thanks Alan - I'm confusing the 2 shows. The last IAS that I went to was at the venue that the PAS is going to use in March this year - hence my confusion, plus my brain is addled from observing on a cold night tonight (lame excuse I know 🙄).

Is there an Impractical Astronomy Show I wonder ? 🤔😁

• Haha 6

8 hours ago, John said:

Is there an Impractical Astronomy Show I wonder ? 🤔😁

Yes, on my observing area each time I observe.
If you wish to see things go wrong, ham fisted workings etc.
then it's the Exemplary showing of Impractical Astronomy!  🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

• 1 month later...

Interesting to see Solarscope from the Isle of Man is exhibiting. Wonderful company which has been making some of the best solar filters in the world for several decades, but is rarely seen at this sort of event.
For those earlier in the thread asking about the large Askar refractors, 365 Astro is exhibiting, and at Astrofest a few weeks ago in London, they had one of the 185mm triplets on their stand. So likely they will bring it along this time too.

• Like 3

On 17/01/2024 at 19:07, globular said:

Am I right that FLO aren't attending? 

On 04/03/2024 at 16:14, The Admiral said:

I see that FLO aren't on the exhibitors list. Is that correct?

On 04/03/2024 at 23:28, mikeDnight said:

As far as I know, FLO has never shown up at the PAS. 

FLO has never been invited 😢 😁 

PAS aside, FLO is attending more events than any other UK astronomy retailer... 😇 

Events we are attending this year include: 

Newtown Astronomy Society Open Day: March 16th at the Rhayader Leisure Centre in Wales. 

BAA Winchester Weekend: April 12th at Sparsholt College, Winchester, Hampshire. 

South West Astronomy Fair: June 29th at the Norman Lockyer Observatory, Sidmouth, Devon. 

Herstmonceux Astronomy Festival: August 30th, 31st & 1st September at the Observatory Science Centre, Herstmonceux, Hailsham. 

The International Astronomy Show: September 14th at the Sports Connexion Leisure Club at Ryton-On-Dunsmore (just outside Leamington Spa), Coventry.  

Kelling Heath Star Party: September 30th - October 7th at the Kelling Heath Holiday Park, Weybourne, Holt, Norfolk. 

New Scientist Live: October 7-8th at the ExCeL London

We will likely also attend an event at Greenwich with the BAA & SPA and another that is part of the Elan Valley Astronomy Festival, but dates and venue have yet to be confirmed. 

The International Astronomy Show is best for anyone wanting lectures and vendors. 

The largest is undoubtedly New Scientist Live (it's huge!). 

Herstmonceux and the South West Astronomy Fair are good for anyone wanting a relaxed, family-friendly day out in a nice location. 

We'll post details of each event separately in the Sponsor section. 

HTH, 

Steve 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3