Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Lovely power cut

MarcuSmythe

This morning at 0500 the power was cut on my street. I was awake obviously so went out to see and the difference was astounding. So much more was visible with the naked eye.

We had new LED 3000k lamps fitted (The day after I bought my telescope ironically) and I have requested them shut off/install shades at certain times but the council is slow to respond....very slow to respond. I have my own cunning plan which involves an old roach pole and a very thick sheet of canvas!

• Like 7

You won't be loving it when it is unscheduled and part of daily life, just ask any South African.

Don't worry, you'll be able to process the images when the power eventually returns, if it's on long enough to actually finish processing them before it's off again that is.

While it's off you can sort out the freezer of spoiled food and charge up your power banks.

50 minutes ago, StuartJPP said:

You won't be loving it when it is unscheduled and part of daily life, just ask any South African.

Don't worry, you'll be able to process the images when the power eventually returns, if it's on long enough to actually finish processing them before it's off again that is.

While it's off you can sort out the freezer of spoiled food and charge up your power banks.

But looking on the bright side……. 😉🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Makes me feel lucky that I survived the power cuts and 3 day weeks of the 1970s.  Right in the middle of 'Are you Being Served' too!  'I'm free!' 

Pretty sure that if you leave your freezer closed, it's gonna stay sub-Antarctic in there for 24+ hours and, hospitals should have generators (unless some MP has sold them), so we'll be alright.  

• Haha 1

I remember a long time ago when my two daughters were about 3 or 4 and they experienced their first power cut at home at night.

”We like power cuts” they said as I explained what was happening and lit some candles.

About two and a half minutes later they asked :

Can we can watch TV? No we’ve got no electricity.

Can we listen to our music? No we’ve got no electricity.

Can we play with the video game? No we’ve got no electricity.

Can we play with the keyboard? No we’ve got no electricity.

”We don’t like stupid power cuts any more!” 

😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

5 minutes ago, Ian McCallum said:

Isn't that due to copper thefts?🤔

Not exactly. The power cuts were scheduled when I lived there and the thieves took advantage of the cables not being live in the areas affected. Much safer to cut power cables when the power is off.

Nigel

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Ian McCallum said:
4 hours ago, StuartJPP said:

Isn't that due to copper thefts?🤔

Sounds like South Essex (where I come from) 😬

Edited by Andy ES
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, TheThing said:

Makes me feel lucky that I survived the power cuts and 3 day weeks of the 1970s.  Right in the middle of 'Are you Being Served' too!  'I'm free!' 

Pretty sure that if you leave your freezer closed, it's gonna stay sub-Antarctic in there for 24+ hours and, hospitals should have generators (unless some MP has sold them), so we'll be alright.  

Yes, definitely! I got a new fridge-freezer a few days ago and had to put the old one outside for a few hours, disconnected from the supply with all my frozen stuff in it whilst we waited for the new one to settle it's refrigerant before we could turn it on. After 8 hours standing in the Sun, all the still frozen stuff was transferred to the new freezer.

What I cannot understand is the people that check their freezer every few minutes during a power cut, thus causing the stuff to thaw faster.

I recall the 70s power cuts and am now digging out my backup generator from work to have it serviced whilst the new generator house (shed) is being erected at home.

• Like 2

Maybe if things get bad enough I'll end up powering my rig with an exercise bike and lose some weight this winter haha.

Nice that you got to see the sky with less pollution though! I wish we had "lights off" hours in my city... My grandad has told me of when the gas lights were relit after the war as a key memory, that period between VE day and the lights coming on must have been great for amateur astronomers- if they still had their kit.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nigella Bryant said:

I was thinking of getting a power tank or something that would run my eq8, camera's, etc for just those occasions this winter, lol. Seriously, suggestions would be welcome just in case. 

One of the "smart" power stations is a good purchase instead of the typical cheaper battery banks.

Jackery makes many models, I have an ecoflow river 300 which is similar from another brand (this one not for sale in UK i think). Not sure which brands are available local to the UK but amazon will surely have some for sale.

I have actually run my fridge with it during a power outage when some kind of oopsie on a construction site nearby cut power for several hours. Will probably have to do that again in the coming winter as power outages are expected if and when it gets colder than -15.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, TheThing said:

Surely if it gets below -15, you can just pop your frozen goods out in the back garden?!?

Sure, but some things like liquids and certain foods shouldnt be frozen. Its not a disaster in cities where heating is often remote and will flow through radiators even if the apartment building is cut from power to prioritize healtcare and infrastructure. Mild inconvenience at best. Cooking wont be happening though. I could theoretically run a microwave with my river 300 as it can supply 1200w AC for short periods.

My generator has now gone into the garage to be serviced, so hopefully by the time the generator house is erected it will be ready. Just need to get some cables and a manual transfer switch installed. Maybe some chains and a big padlock would be a good idea, too! 😉

21 minutes ago, Mandy D said:

My generator has now gone into the garage to be serviced, so hopefully by the time the generator house is erected it will be ready. Just need to get some cables and a manual transfer switch installed. Maybe some chains and a big padlock would be a good idea, too! 😉

or an electrified fence 😉 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

I have a few mobile phone power banks, well a lot actually to power LED stick thingies and keep my phone working and a camping gas stove so all set 😀

Alan

ack I forgot to order some gas cans for the portable single ring cullman or whatever it is in the shed. Guess it'll be a case of wrap in foil, pop it under the bonnet and go for a drive to heat something up for dinner for me then 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ONIKKINEN said:

Sure, but some things like liquids and certain foods shouldnt be frozen. Its not a disaster in cities where heating is often remote and will flow through radiators even if the apartment building is cut from power to prioritize healtcare and infrastructure. Mild inconvenience at best. Cooking wont be happening though. I could theoretically run a microwave with my river 300 as it can supply 1200w AC for short periods.

I remember a video posted by a Danish man living in Russia where he proved you can keep liquids from freezing, when far below freezing air temperature, by burying it in snow. Seems odd, but it works, as snow will insulate very well too. It is the freezing air which will freeze the water in a bottle. As for cooking there are very many alternatives, most shown on You Tube, to an electric/gas cooker or microwave. Especially with all the resources there is in Finland. Even if you want to cook indoors, ( with ventilation of course, ) alcohol stoves will work well, even a simple oven powered by alcohol, shown on You Tube, again, by an American. He cooked a Chicken/cakes/bread in a modified cardboard box!
Here, check this fella out if interested in how to improvise, the link is to a play list, so scroll to the relevant ones: 

He has many videos on the subject, but there are many others, similar on the internet... Evolution:

Camping gas stoves are cheap, but gas cannister prices are going through the roof, but can still be a reasonable price if you shop around.

Personally, I am looking forward to the power cuts, not because of some anti social tendency, ( honest... ) but I am so looking forward to seeing the milky way from this light pollution hole I live in. Sorry to seem smug, but I am well set. ( Just a few more preps. ) :smiley:

• Like 2