Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Show us your Tak

Stu

11 minutes ago, The60mmKid said:

Behold: FOA-60Q in its natural habitat.

IMG_20230721_191827537.thumb.jpg.2b4483e75f59efd7161b9b70f152dd38.jpg

I thank/blame @Franklin for convincing me to convert the Vixen AP into the APZ. It's a mount fit for a larger scope, but FOA-60Q considers itself a really big deal.

IMG_20230721_191541354.thumb.jpg.93540c72ef05e96fbe2937353088a966.jpg

Brilliant 👍🏻

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, The60mmKid said:

I thank/blame @Franklin for convincing me to convert the Vixen AP into the APZ. It's a mount fit for a larger scope, but FOA-60Q considers itself a really big deal.

Looks bang on to me, especially with the heavy bino's on the back end. Nice set up!

• Like 1

On 03/07/2023 at 20:10, MalcolmM said:

The big advantage of the Tak cradle from my point of view is the ease with which you can loosen the clamp a bit and slide the scope so easily to achieve balance...

Agree with this 100% Malcolm. I actually used to use a Tak clamshell originally from an FS102 on my then Vixen ED103s..both scopes had oversized 114mm tubes, so the clamshell fitted properly. 

It made the Vixen feel totally secure..

image.thumb.png.69946d1f89281a183285c442edff7830.png

Above: my Vixen ED103s sporting the FS102 Tak Clamshell, fitted perfectly 👍.

I think there's also another angle to this seeming "Takahashi obstinacy" in persisting with clamshells, and it's to do with their innate attention to excellence..

I believe that in the Takahashi  corporate mindset, they want to build and sell  the most complete and "total" package they can: so, in their minds, their perfect customer buys not just their scope OTA, but also the mount - which means a Tak mount, normally a driven Equatorial.

Now, Taks own mounts are built to accept a Tak clamshell via twin (M10, I think) hex bolts, whereby the bolts pass through the base of the clamshell, directly into the mount itself, and are tightened to ensure total security of the tube, in its clamshell, immovably fixed into the Tak mount (I have this very arrangement with my FS128 and Tak EM2s equatorial).

The worst thing that can happen with the above setup is that if you loosen the clamshell to rotate the ota or move it up or down for balancing, it could allow the tube to slide a bit..but the clamshell would not detach from the mount so your OTA couldn't fall onto the ground.

So, while the Takahashi "attachment" (sorry😁) to their clamshell system may irritate some, I actually applaud it as proof of their continuing dedication to "system excellence"..

IMG_20211029_132829539_BURST001.thumb.jpg.18ce8c8e20c12a917c80ad704204007f.jpg

My good astro friend Steve (@saganite ) holding my FS128 "Trinity" to show it's a big tube..(but only 7.5kg in weight as shown)..

IMG_20221022_154417171_HDR.thumb.jpg.239979876d936bdea493699d090536f8.jpg

Close up view of the heavy duty clamshell which is over 2" wide..making it very easy to loosen and tighten up for easy adjustments.

TakEm2smount3.jpg.5a5b505d0239bbf262b8ae8a8bb6191e.jpg

View of the Tak EM2s head, showing the pair of hex bolt threaded holes at 35mm centres, ready to secure the clamshell (and OTA) to the mount.

IMG_20221116_152025066.thumb.jpg.88b626d5157be335736fd826ff850a5e.jpg

The clamshell in situ looks quite small vs the almost 150mm diameter tube, but in practice holds the tube like a vice, but with only one component to loosen or tighten when making adjustments.

IMG_20200822_122320581.thumb.jpg.5919cc08d2ff35e25383d160a4b1da3e.jpg

..and no problems when holding heavy loads👍

Dave

Edited by F15Rules
Photos added
  • Like 15

46 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

Agree with this 100% Malcolm. I actually used to use a Tak clamshell originally from an FS102 on my then Vixen ED103s..both scopes had oversized 114mm tubes, so the clamshell fitted properly. 

It made the Vixen feel totally secure..

image.thumb.png.69946d1f89281a183285c442edff7830.png

Above: my Vixen ED103s sporting the FS102 Tak Clamshell, fitted perfectly 👍.

I think there's also another angle to this seeming "Takahashi obstinacy" in persisting with clamshells, and it's to do with their innate attention to excellence..

I believe that in the Takahashi  corporate mindset, they want to build and sell  the most complete and "total" package they can: so, in their minds, their perfect customer buys not just their scope OTA, but also the mount - which means a Tak mount, normally a driven Equatorial.

Now, Taks own mounts are built to accept a Tak clamshell via twin (M10, I think) hex bolts, whereby the bolts pass through the base of the clamshell, directly into the mount itself, and are tightened to ensure total security of the tube, in its clamshell, immovably fixed into the Tak mount (I have this very arrangement with my FS128 and Tak EM2s equatorial).

The worst thing that can happen with the above setup is that if you loosen the clamshell to rotate the ota or move it up or down for balancing, it could allow the tube to slide a bit..but the clamshell would not detach from the mount so your it couldn't fall onto the ground.

So, while the Takahashi "attachment" (sorry😁) to their clamshell system may irritate some, I actually applaud it as proof of their continuing dedication to "system excellence"..

IMG_20211029_132829539_BURST001.thumb.jpg.18ce8c8e20c12a917c80ad704204007f.jpg

My good astro friend Steve (@saganite ) holding my FS128 "Trinity" to show it's a big tube..(but only 7.5kg in weight as shown)..

IMG_20221022_154417171_HDR.thumb.jpg.239979876d936bdea493699d090536f8.jpg

Close up view of the heavy duty clamshell which is over 2" wide..making it very easy to loosen and tighten up for easy adjustments.

TakEm2smount3.jpg.5a5b505d0239bbf262b8ae8a8bb6191e.jpg

View of the Tak EM2s head, showing the pair of hex bolt threaded holes at 35mm centres, ready to secure the clamshell (and OTA) to the mount.

IMG_20221116_152025066.thumb.jpg.88b626d5157be335736fd826ff850a5e.jpg

The clamshell in situ looks quite small vs the almost 150mm diameter tube, but in practice holds the tube like a vice, but with only one component to loosen or tighten when making adjustments.

IMG_20200822_122320581.thumb.jpg.5919cc08d2ff35e25383d160a4b1da3e.jpg

..and no problems when holding heavy loads👍

Dave

What a beauty that FS128! I have one waiting certain circumstances before I will get my hands on it but it has my name on it, cant wait!

• Like 7

1 hour ago, F15Rules said:

The worst thing that can happen with the above setup is that if you loosen the clamshell to rotate the ota or move it up or down for balancing, it could allow the tube to slide a bit..but the clamshell would not detach from the mount so your it couldn't fall onto the ground.

So, while the Takahashi "attachment" (sorry😁) to their clamshell system may irritate some, I actually applaud it as proof of their continuing dedication to "system excellence"......

I agree. I was impressed that Takahashi made a special, longer clamshell just for the limited edition FC100-DL refractor. At F/9 vs the regular FC100 focal ratio of F/7.4 the company judged that a longer clamshell would provide better support for the longer telescope tube. This must have involved some expense and trouble in creating the revised sand casting moulds just for this model. 

Edited by John
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Another big fan of the clamshell here for all the reasons stated eloquently by @F15Rules  

When attached directly to the mount; they’re really secure in the first instance and really easy to adjust OTA balance subsequently with zero or at least very little risk of mishaps in the dark. I appreciate the clamshells (and other mechanical parts) even more after watching a video of the sand casting process in the tak factory. 

• Like 7

@F15Rules , that Vixen looks fab but the 128 is utterly sublime :)

That's a great picture of Trinity with Steve. I had no idea they were quite that big. You just don't appreciate the size of them in photographs of them on their mounts in isolation. Very envious :)

Malcolm 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, MalcolmM said:

@F15Rules , that Vixen looks fab but the 128 is utterly sublime :)

That's a great picture of Trinity with Steve. I had no idea they were quite that big. You just don't appreciate the size of them in photographs of them on their mounts in isolation. Very envious :)

Malcolm 

They're not Malcolm, I am only 4' and 8 stone...:smiley:

• Haha 7

55 minutes ago, Saganite said:

They're not Malcolm, I am only 4' and 8 stone...:smiley:

If I ever do get one and my partner complains, I'm going to show her the pic, quote you and direct her wrath firmly in your direction :)

Malcolm 

• Haha 5

+5 for Tak clamshells. Properly designed by Takahashi based on experience of what users actually need. It just works as do most thinks Tak. Including the orientation of their finders 😊……

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Sorry to hijack the thread guy's,

Would the Tak TSA-120 Triplet be ok on a cem25p? (Load max 13.3kg)

This would be for visual only, no AP at all.

Forgot to say the mount head is fixed on a permanent pier outside.

Thanks,

Mark 🙂

Edited by callisto
Change wording

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/07/2023 at 15:44, callisto said:

Would the Tak TSA-120 Triplet be ok on a cem25p? (Load max 13.3kg)

The Tak spec is 5.7kg for the TSA120 so with rings and all the other kit on I'd think you'd be at around 8kg which is a fair bit under the payload of the mount you mention. Should carry it well. My SD115S weighs 7kg max when fully loaded and is rock solid on the SXD2 (15kg spec) but also is very useable on the good old GP2.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, josefk said:

oooof! Who's the big daddy there? TOA-150?

Yes. Looking forward to imaging with the beast and will try it out visually when I swap out the setup from reducer for straight flattener. How’s Stamford, I went to Casterton College.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Franklin said:

The Tak spec is 5.7kg for the TSA120 so with rings and all the other kit on I'd think you'd be at around 8kg which is a fair bit under the payload of the mount you mention. Should carry it well. My SD115S weighs 7kg max when fully loaded and is rock solid on the SXD2 (15kg spec) but also is very useable on the good old GP2.

Cheers for that 👍 

Was wanting to double check before I make the decision, like I said it's purely for visual observing 🙂 

Mark.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Xsubmariner said:

Yes. Looking forward to imaging with the beast and will try it out visually when I swap out the setup from reducer for straight flattener. How’s Stamford, I went to Casterton College.

Stamford remains extremely lovely - i'm not a Stamfordian but i've been here >30-years and love it still. My son also went to Casterton so i know it.

I have the TOA-130 for visual only and "it paid for itself" with one jaw dropping observation of Saturn as far as i'm concerned (everything else is upside) so your 150mm will be an absolute killer with an EP.  Your entire set-up looks absolutely fantastic. i'm not jealous of all the imaging kit but i could easily be of everything else 🙂

Cheers

Joe

• Like 2