Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Show us your Tak

Stu

16 hours ago, Sunshine said:

Beautiful scope! I take it you are warming up to the mewlon, are the planetary views impressive? and what's with the palm tree in England? 😂

I have to say the views of Mars and Jupiter are quite stunning with the Mewlon 210.

Ive also just turned it on the Orion Nebula with a Panoptic 35 and the contrast is extraordinary. This is about the widest fov possible with a mag of x69. Of course the Dall-Kirkham was not designed as a wide field scope. Need the TSA 120 for that.

so I am enamoured of the M210. Am I in love with it? Well I’m a refractor man at heart.

Edited by JeremyS
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JeremyS said:

I have to say the views of Mars and Jupiter are quite stunning with the Mewlon 210.

Ive also just turned in on the Orion Nebula with a Panoptic 35 and the contrast is extraordinary. This is about the widest fov possible with a mag of x69. Of course the Dall-Kirkham was not designed as a wide field scope. Need the TSA 120 for that.

so I am enamoured of the M210. Am I in love with it? Well I’m a refractor man at heart.

Stop it Jeremy. I feel like I’ve got unfinished business with the M210!!

Out of interest, does yours show any image shift when focusing?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Stu said:

Stop it Jeremy. I feel like I’ve got unfinished business with the M210!!

Out of interest, does yours show any image shift when focusing?

Well, a short drive through the Somerset and Devon countryside (tho do select one of your fleet that has a roof) and one could be yours by this evening, Stu. No waiting for a year like I had to:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/telescopes-in-stock/takahashi-mewlon-210-f11-5-dall-kirkham-reflector.html

😊

Edited by JeremyS
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Well, a short drive through the Somerset and Devon countryside (tho I do select one of your fleet that has a roof) and one could be yours by this evening, Stu. No waiting for a year like I had to:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/telescopes-in-stock/takahashi-mewlon-210-f11-5-dall-kirkham-reflector.html

😊

I know! It’s been in my basket once already 🤣

• Haha 5

11 hours ago, HollyHound said:

Two Taks tonight (FC-100DZ and Mewlon 180) … great sessions (between keeping warm) 😃

It really is freezing 🥶

1C887AAC-71E6-473E-B486-98FA5AEA9135.jpeg

Gary, Which zooms are you using in the Mewlon ?

Edited by dweller25

31 minutes ago, dweller25 said:

Gary, Which zooms are you using in the Mewlon ?

David... it's a pair of Baader Hyperion zooms, with the "simple" eyecups (I have one of the adjustable ones on my APM Zoom).

They work very well indeed, although a few times last night they dewed up a bit (usually at the start of each mini session). I kept everything covered between sessions, but may einvest in a heater strip for them (and the binoviewer) 🤞

The MaxBright IIs are an absolute dream, both optically and ergonomically... they lock tightly so that adjusting the zoom doesn't rotate or affect the diopter 👍

I also haven't had to use either of my recently acquired GPCs in the Mewlon, as the focus range is enough to cover what's needed... although it is close to one end of the range, so perhaps there is some value in using a GPC to keep the mirror in the "sweet spot" 🤔

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JeremyS said:

Image shift: no 😊

Diffraction spikes: yes 🤐

The diffraction spikes on the Mewlon are noticeable for sure, although I found on Mars and Jupiter that the brain seems to ignore them after a while 😬

The M180 has three vanes, which give six spikes, but I believe each one is fainter as a result... I guess the four spikes in your M210 are a little more noticeable 🤔

No question for me.... cleanest, contrasty views were the DZ.... slightly more details/colour, brighter, but "dirtier" view was the Mewlon... they both have a place. On the moon and DSOs (and when fully cooled), I think the Mewlon will reigh supreme. The refractors are better for quick(er) use and the nicest of views 😁

Edited by HollyHound
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, HollyHound said:

. I guess the four spikes in your M210 are a little more noticeable 🤔

Yes I’m sure you’re right. That and the slightly greater light gathering power, so more light to diffract.

Not trained my brain to ignore them yet. The more I think about ignoring them when I view, the more noticeable they become 🫣

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, HollyHound said:

Mine too, but popped it back it out, as the M180 is really as much as I need... besides, I might be looking to get a larger refractor next year anyway too 🤔😁

You can’t leave us hanging like that Gary 🤣

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JeremyS said:

You can’t leave us hanging like that Gary 🤣

No, don't worry, I'm still in the musing stage... very happy with my setups I have and enjoying "just using them" 😁

However, it's no real secret that I have a hankering for a refractor with a little more aperture, so sometime in 2023, I wouldn't be surprised if I looked at TSA120 or similar 🤔

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HollyHound said:

David... it's a pair of Baader Hyperion zooms, with the "simple" eyecups (I have one of the adjustable ones on my APM Zoom).

They work very well indeed, although a few times last night they dewed up a bit (usually at the start of each mini session). I kept everything covered between sessions, but may einvest in a heater strip for them (and the binoviewer) 🤞

The MaxBright IIs are an absolute dream, both optically and ergonomically... they lock tightly so that adjusting the zoom doesn't rotate or affect the diopter 👍

I also haven't had to use either of my recently acquired GPCs in the Mewlon, as the focus range is enough to cover what's needed... although it is close to one end of the range, so perhaps there is some value in using a GPC to keep the mirror in the "sweet spot" 🤔

I'm glad you are enjoying them ; the eyepiece holders and diopter adjusters are excellent aren't they. Beautifully engineered the German way.

Was it me who sold you the Max 2's ?? I lose track.....

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Space Hopper said:

I'm glad you are enjoying them ; the eyepiece holders and diopter adjusters are excellent aren't they. Beautifully engineered the German way.

Was it me who sold you the Max 2's ?? I lose track.....

They are really lovely 👍

Due to timing and a good deal... I ended up with two pairs, one from @bosun21 (which @Stu now has) and a pair from FLO... everyone's happy 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, JeremyS said:

Not trained my brain to ignore them yet. The more I think about ignoring them when I view, the more noticeable they become 🫣

Just think of them as handles, Jeremy...so, with 4 vanes and the Mewlons' unique finder/handle, you have 5 handles in one scope. What more could you ask for??👍😎

Dave

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, HollyHound said:

I also haven't had to use either of my recently acquired GPCs in the Mewlon, as the focus range is enough to cover what's needed...

How do you connect the Maxbrights to the Mewlon @HollyHound? I use Baader 2" clicklock + 2" to 1.25 " clicklock adapter to Baader prism. I have to use the 1.25 GPC to come to focus! I have not been able to use natively, though I have read somewhere that the GPC corrects for CA (though maybe not necessary at f12?

Malcolm 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MalcolmM said:

How do you connect the Maxbrights to the Mewlon @HollyHound? I use Baader 2" clicklock + 2" to 1.25 " clicklock adapter to Baader prism. I have to use the 1.25 GPC to come to focus! I have not been able to use natively, though I have read somewhere that the GPC corrects for CA (though maybe not necessary at f12?

Malcolm 

Hi Malcolm,

Here’s the back of my Mewlon 180, in 2” diagonal (Baader BBHS mirror) configuration.

I use the same visual back end with the MaxBright IIs, but (as per second photo), they’re attached to a Baader T2 prism (which has a slightly shorter optical length).

I swap them using the three standard locking bolts on the visual back, but I do also have another visual back which has T2, so might invest in T2 changer system at some point (already have some parts for this).

With the setup I have now, it comes into focus with perhaps three or four turns max left in the focus range, so it’s close, and could well be I get lucky with the Hyperion’s 🤔

I’m also not sure that the GPC correction is required for a Mewlon at f/12. However, I will experiment with a GPC (I have 1.7 and 2.6), because it might keep the mirror closer to its “normal” focus… if there is any advantage to this. I may need these when I try the MaxBrights on my refractors, but I’m liking the Mewlon as my “bino” system 🤣

7C5970F1-2673-4D21-9F35-6EC524B9326B.jpeg

27D6DD36-F40A-4A68-BB5C-CAA7E5C25082.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Observing under some fairly challenging conditions last night. Sub zero temperatures, a terrace that was more like an ice rink, a little bit of Christmas light pollution and multiple central heating flumes making the seeing pretty dodgy at times.

2651EBF9-6D98-4A0B-AA8C-73A1A470CBC2.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, HollyHound said:

Hi Malcolm,

Here’s the back of my Mewlon 180, in 2” diagonal (Baader BBHS mirror) configuration.

I use the same visual back end with the MaxBright IIs, but (as per second photo), they’re attached to a Baader T2 prism (which has a slightly shorter optical length).

I swap them using the three standard locking bolts on the visual back, but I do also have another visual back which has T2, so might invest in T2 changer system at some point (already have some parts for this).

With the setup I have now, it comes into focus with perhaps three or four turns max left in the focus range, so it’s close, and could well be I get lucky with the Hyperion’s 🤔

I’m also not sure that the GPC correction is required for a Mewlon at f/12. However, I will experiment with a GPC (I have 1.7 and 2.6), because it might keep the mirror closer to its “normal” focus… if there is any advantage to this. I may need these when I try the MaxBrights on my refractors, but I’m liking the Mewlon as my “bino” system 🤣

7C5970F1-2673-4D21-9F35-6EC524B9326B.jpeg

27D6DD36-F40A-4A68-BB5C-CAA7E5C25082.jpeg

Thanks @HollyHound, that looks like you've attached a Baader part direct to the Mewlon which would explain the difference I think. I'll examine closer later, currently looking at Mars with the 100 and XW5 with music blasting :), doesn't get much better :)

Malcolm 

• Like 1