Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Show us your Tak

Stu

9 hours ago, HollyHound said:

Hi Malcolm,

Here’s the back of my Mewlon 180, in 2” diagonal (Baader BBHS mirror) configuration.

I use the same visual back end with the MaxBright IIs, but (as per second photo), they’re attached to a Baader T2 prism (which has a slightly shorter optical length).

I swap them using the three standard locking bolts on the visual back, but I do also have another visual back which has T2, so might invest in T2 changer system at some point (already have some parts for this).

With the setup I have now, it comes into focus with perhaps three or four turns max left in the focus range, so it’s close, and could well be I get lucky with the Hyperion’s 🤔

I’m also not sure that the GPC correction is required for a Mewlon at f/12. However, I will experiment with a GPC (I have 1.7 and 2.6), because it might keep the mirror closer to its “normal” focus… if there is any advantage to this. I may need these when I try the MaxBrights on my refractors, but I’m liking the Mewlon as my “bino” system 🤣

7C5970F1-2673-4D21-9F35-6EC524B9326B.jpeg

27D6DD36-F40A-4A68-BB5C-CAA7E5C25082.jpeg

Here's what I have. You've a shorter light path to the prism. I can see the part number from your photo. That's another thing to buy! I'd like the option to use them natively. Thanks again!

Had Mars at x280 this evening with the Mewlon. Very steady seeing and some nice detail on Mars. Very sharp, even at that magnification, which I've never been able to use before.

Malcolm

IMG_20221217_223910494.thumb.jpg.96e04ce488e49e31ad7d3c44eb6fc98d.jpgIMG_20221217_221646551.thumb.jpg.eaec77d48e7d4016a90a685b72789605.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

At age 70, I acquired this preowned F100DC as my first and only telescope.  Now I near 76, and I am beginning to suspect that it is aging at a considerably slower rate than I am.  It is lightweight, works well. and I enjoy it, even on cloudy days.

image.jpeg

IMG_0388.JPG

IMG_0383.JPG

IMG_0381.jpg

• Like 19

9 minutes ago, dantro said:

At age 70, I acquired this preowned F100DC as my first and only telescope.  Now I near 76, and I am beginning to suspect that it is aging at a considerably slower rate than I am.  It is lightweight, works well. and I enjoy it, even on cloudy days.

image.jpeg

IMG_0388.JPG

IMG_0383.JPG

IMG_0381.jpg

Fantastic setup, sure you do, and will continue to, get a lot of pleasure from using it 👍

• Like 2

On 16/12/2022 at 03:47, JeremyS said:

Don’t forget to pick up the box of chocolates for Mrs Stu on the way!

Does that work? a box of chocolates! I'll hand her that from behind a riot shield next time I make a pricey scope purchase, Italian wife's can be next level violent when angered.

Edited by Sunshine
  • Haha 5

25 minutes ago, dantro said:

image.jpeg

IMG_0388.JPG

IMG_0383.JPG

IMG_0381.jpg

That’s a beautiful setup… congratulations, that’s a superb scope for pretty much anything 😀

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, dantro said:

image.jpeg

IMG_0388.JPG

IMG_0383.JPG

IMG_0381.jpg

Just beautiful! you simply cannot get a more rewarding grab and go, and you are right to enjoy it on cloudy days, it looks wonderful on that mount.

• Like 3

It was fun looking through this thread for what I missed in the last few months, many beautiful Tak's on display. It makes me feel like I am due for another image of the same scope....again...and again.....and again. Until I get another you will all have to look at Sarah, once more. 🤣

IMG_3999.JPG

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

It was fun looking through this thread for what I missed in the last few months, many beautiful Tak's on display. It makes me feel like I am due for another image of the same scope....again...and again.....and again. Until I get another you will all have to look at Sarah, once more. 🤣

IMG_3999.JPG

I never tire at looking at a fine Tak. The TSA 102 exudes quality 👍🏻

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/01/2023 at 22:44, Sunshine said:

IMG_3999.JPG

When does “Molly” turn up ? 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 18/01/2023 at 22:01, Sunshine said:

Just beautiful! you simply cannot get a more rewarding grab and go, and you are right to enjoy it on cloudy days, it looks wonderful on that mount.

I agree. 2.8kg makes it the lightest 4” apo on the market. Just to give an idea of what 20mm more aperture means in size, here’s the DC next to a TSA-120 - itself a light triplet at 6.7kg - but two and a half times heavier than the DC.

6C49DB1D-E08A-446D-82B5-674541C37DA8.jpeg

5EC2AC49-4993-4390-8788-0C5FB72C69BC.jpeg

• Like 13

57 minutes ago, Highburymark said:

I agree. 2.8kg makes it the lightest 4” apo on the market. Just to give an idea of what 20mm more aperture means in size, here’s the DC next to a TSA-120 - itself a light triplet at 6.7kg - but two and a half times heavier than the DC.

6C49DB1D-E08A-446D-82B5-674541C37DA8.jpeg

5EC2AC49-4993-4390-8788-0C5FB72C69BC.jpeg

What a great difference in size between those two, you could have fooled me and said the smaller one was an 80mm.

• Like 3

Set the TOA-130 up under thin high cloud last with the expectation of it thinning and clearing completely for a few hours... only to pack up an hour later under thicker mid and low cloud and in a thin low lying mist! For goodness sake! 🙄

IMG_3608.thumb.jpeg.5da54a81755eb2c03e68d9c922187e13.jpeg

• Like 11

On 06/02/2023 at 10:30, JeremyS said:

Wonderful. 👍🏻

There don’t seem to be many FS 152’s in this country.

How long have you owned it?

I’ve had it for 9 years … I believe there were 5/6 sold in the UK, Moonraker carried out a re spray and baffle repair for me and I had to replace the focuser as the original Tak had some slop in it due to wear.

• Like 4

On 06/02/2023 at 13:22, MalcolmM said:

Very very nice! The FS60 as a finder really gives an indication of the size. It looks enormous!

Malcolm 

Its a big old lump, bit of a squeeze in the sky shed pod …a pleasure to use though.

• Like 3

On 06/02/2023 at 13:22, MalcolmM said:

Very very nice! The FS60 as a finder really gives an indication of the size. It looks enormous!

Malcolm 

As I already own an FS-60 I was going to say the same thing!

Just wondering @lardy do you need a finder for your finder 🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 2