SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

New house in mid wales

faulksy

Hi folks.

Just moved to my new house in midwales.

Outside now with the Mrs having a brew.

Can't believe how bright the milk way is. Even with lights on its blazing away .

Made up.

Thanks

• Like 33

Welcome to Wales - superb scenery and dark skies, what's not to like?  Well, I guess the main frustration is lack of clear nights, particularly in the winter, but we get a good few in the summer, and in some ways I find this time of year the most productive (which is OK if you're retired and don't have to get up early I guess)

PS you probably know already, but there's an active astronomy society in Newtown

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

If you need a butler I'm great at folding things and cook a mean Pot Noodle©. 👍

Enjoy your new home. 😀

That's great Mrs S is in Morocco next week I could do with a cook .

Do you do the washing aswell. 🤣

Dave

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

36 minutes ago, Dave scutt said:

That's great Mrs S is in Morocco next week I could do with a cook .

Do you do the washing aswell. 🤣

Dave

We have a late teens girl still at home and as I work from home, two washes a day can get done. I even use fabric conditioner!

Culinary skills are not limited to Pot Noodle©. I'm also a dab hand at choosing the perfect takeaway. Dead posh like, "Will Sir be dining on Indian, Chinese or Turkish tonight?". "May I recommend a fine pale ale to complete the ensemble?" 

I'm really surprised noone will take me on as their dark sky butler, given those impeccable credentials. I'll just keep trying. 😉

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

14 hours ago, RobertI said:

Superb, you have a lot to look forward to, and I look forward to the reports! Congratulations. How about a daytime tour of your observing site?

I will do a small video tomorrow 

• Like 4

Wow some lovely comments. 

I will defo try to go to astro meet.

Just looking at ursa minor and the milkyway amazing. Just done a sqm reading 21.32.

Only just going into astro darkness though.

It will be a few weeks before I get my scope out.

Just finished the last trip with the 3.5 ton hire van.

4 trips and 400 miles in 3 days 👍

• Like 5

On 06/08/2022 at 18:04, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

Culinary skills are not limited to Pot Noodle©. I'm also a dab hand at choosing the perfect takeaway. Dead posh like, "Will Sir be dining on Indian, Chinese or Turkish tonight?".

I fear someone has overestimated the variety of takeaway options throughout mid Wales. 

"We do 'ave fish, chips, and I think there might be a Peter's Savoury Pie out the back, but there'll be a wait, you OK with that mun?"  "Oh, and we shut at 8pm"

(Valleys boy, I'm allowed) 

Edited by Gfamily
Adding plural to Valleys - I'm Rhondda, not SoCal!
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

My in-laws live in the Llanfair area, and I always take my scope with me.  The skies are incredible, compared to Wakefield.  It works out quite nicely as the Father in law seems to like having a nosey through the scope too.  Last weekend, the Milky Way was clear and bright, and there were great views to be had of a fair few DSOs.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Alan.  Love mid wales may 21. 61 last night.

This is no lie. We got out of our van last night around 23.30 on our drive and you could see the milk way reflected in the black windows. I was amazed. 

Our astronomy barn shed will be here Wednesday,  so scope will be wheeled in and out fully assembled,  observing reports coming soon 🤣

• Like 8

On 07/08/2022 at 00:16, faulksy said:

I will do a small video tomorrow 

16 hours ago, faulksy said:

observing reports coming soon 🤣

4 hours ago, faulksy said:

Photos of it all coming soon

Yeah, yeah. 😆

You keep promising, I'm beginning to wonder if you've actually moved! 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1