Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Sky at Night program

reddoss

What a great episode of the S@N, so many subjects covered by a truly fascinating and brilliant man. The way he managed to put every topic he mentioned was put into context/perspective to the wider view of science showed an  impressive command of communication skills.  One of the best  episodes  have ever seen.

I particularly liked that when ever Lord Rees and Chris started talking about a particular complex subject (eg Gravitational Waves etc), this was followed by and explanation by Maggie for those not familiar with the subject.

Well done to the BBC. 

Edited by reddoss
  • Like 5

That has to be the best S@N I have ever seen since they started it.

10 hours ago, reddoss said:

The way he managed to put every topic he mentioned was put into context/perspective to the wider view of science showed an  impressive command of communication skills.

This sums it up exactly, it all flowed so easily. 

What a great man. 

• Like 5

What a true gentleman. A while ago he was kind enough to dig out a copy of a monograph on Will Hay he had and send me a copy. We have a shared interest the actor and astronomer Will Hay apparently. 🙂

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 6

Damn! How did I miss that? Will have to catch up on iPlayer.

Ah, yes I was watching the NASA Spaceflight livestream of the FAA environmental assessment of the Boca Chica starbase.

• Like 1

A very absorbing 1 hr TV programme, just a very knowledgeable, wise and engaging gentleman talking expertly on a wide range of cosmological and philosophical topics. I never thought I would see a programme like this on today’s TV ever again.

• Like 4

Prompted by this thread I made sure that I watched the programme and I’m glad that I did.

What a man! A wonderful intellect but also a great communicator.

I remember the Big Bang vs steady state debates and as a teenager I backed Fred Hoyle and his steady state - the Big Bang sounded just too improbable! Ah well - not the last time I would be wrong. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, tomato said:

A very absorbing 1 hr TV programme, just a very knowledgeable, wise and engaging gentleman talking expertly on a wide range of cosmological and philosophical topics. I never thought I would see a programme like this on today’s TV ever again.

What I can't understand is why he wasn't standing on a mountaintop? 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 14/06/2022 at 09:54, johninderby said:

What a true gentleman. A while ago he was kind enough to dig out a copy of a monograph on Will Hay he had and send me a copy. We have a shared interest the actor and astronomer Will Hay apparently. 🙂

Very few people know that Will Hey was a very keen amateur astronomer. 

• Like 1

On 15/06/2022 at 10:20, wookie1965 said:

Very few people know that Will Hey was a very keen amateur astronomer. 

Very few people under 50 will know who Will Hay is... 😉 Only us oldies who caught the Saturday morning matinees starring the likes of Laurel & Hardy, Harold Lloyd, Flash Gordon and Will Hay will have a clue. 😆

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just caught up on iPlayer.  I throughly enjoyed the interview with Lord Rees. What a lively mind he still has and his work has ranged over such a wide number of fields.

Just a note in person. Right at the very end  of the interview I think I heard Chris Lintott thank ‘Malcolm’ instead of Martin. Slip of the tongue or is my hearing going?