Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Another Dob at FLO!

After looking at 8' Dobs on the site I just discover Stellalyra!  Obviously new?  or certainly new to me.

I now know I can't afford  a Goto or Push to Dob, well  truth is I can but can't 'Justify' the purchase, so am going stop being lazy, learn the sky and buy a regular Dob and save a packet of dough! 

Now with the  the Stellalyra there's three in the mix, along with Skywatcher Skyliner 200P and the Bressier Messier.  While researching it appears the Skywatcher are in a very poor third place compared to the other two?  That's overall quality, ALL parts considered. The new Stellalyra has great reviews on FLO, but for me, The Bressier Messier 8' just seems to scream class! 

Any thoughts Fellas? 

In my view they are all equal in what you would see, the 8” Dobson is the Swiss army knife of Dobson.

The mirrors should all be comparable, the differences are in the mounts and focuses in reality and that’s a personal choice to be made, but do remember dobs are very much a diy project in the making and all can be tweaked at a later stage.

• Like 1

Optically they will be the same. What I would suggest is look at the features of each and see which appeals the most.

For me the StellaLyra has a dual speed focuser, cooling fan and 8x50 RACI finder and that would seal it! The other two aren't even close!

• Like 4

The Bresser with the dual speed upgrade and RACI finder upgrade isn’t much different in price to the StellaLyra plus have the better bearings. better mirror cell etc. and a much better focuser. Unfortunately Bresser is sold out till adter Xmass.

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 2

wow - three options of the best value for money/performance/weight telescope you can get.

Of the three I would choose the Bresser because…….

1. It has big altitude bearings.

2. It has a rack and pinion focuser.

3. It’s white 😂

You will need to add a rear fan but they are less than £10

The optics in all three scopes will be similar.

Good luck with your choice 👍

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, steve wiz said:

I'll wait until the new year, it has it be the Bresser for me!

Hmmm. Despite having a 6 year love affair with my 200p, that's probably a good decision. I had a play with a mate's Bresser 250 last year and it's much better built than the SW. Just remember you'll probably want to budget for a RACI finder as well. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Pity that the Bresser dobs are out of stock everywhere. If you wanted a dob right away would go with the StellaLyra 

FLO should offer a deluxe version of the Bresser with the dual speed option installed and the RACI as well.

I liked the fact they was easily changeable from visual to imaging

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IB20 said:

https://ensoptical.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=12214 Was e-window shopping and just saw this if you wanted push-to

That ad is misleading, it is NOT Orion Optics. Orion Optics are a completely different (UK based) company with much higher prices and specifications. The Orion you see there is the US 'Orion' which is similar in quality to Skywatcher. 

• Like 2

I was faced with the decision on which one i should buy several months ago. On reviewing them all very closely the Stella Lyra won easily. I was delighted with the finish and solid build of the scope. The roller bearings make the azimuth movement butter smooth with a tension screw to adjust to your liking. The adjustable pivot points are a nice touch also. But the clincher was the dual speed focuser and the upright 9x50 finder , not to forget the fan for primary mirror cooling. I am so glad that I paid a few pounds more for the Stella Lyra Dobsonian 8”

• Like 2

3 hours ago, johninderby said:

Bresser’s lovely R&P focuser and not a mere crayford as on the StellaLyra. 

5AC62BBB-BB4E-4246-8844-D68524044AB3.jpeg

BEAD1436-30E2-4E89-ACD4-1C9439024134.jpeg

And with the extender fitted.

10FFA899-F129-4731-A04F-82CEDF519C2B.jpeg

R&P simply stands for rack and pinion and even little plastic focusers on cheap telescopes are in fact R&P focusers. Just saying 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, johninderby said:

Bresser’s lovely R&P focuser and not the low end GSO  crayford on the StellaLyra. 

We have been here before... 😁

You continue to infer the Crayford design is inherently inferior but that is not true. 

Generally speaking, Crayford focusers have a smoother focus action so are preferred by visual astronomers. R&P focusers have, generally speaking, higher load bearing capacity so are preferred by astrophotographers. 

Dobsonian telescopes are designed primarily for visual astronomy. This is why we have chosen CNC machined dual-speed Crayford focusers for StellaLyra Dobsonians and they work beautifully with both 1.25" and 2" eyepieces. 

We like R&P focusers too and offer both StellaLyra and Bresser Messier Dobsonian telescopes 😇 

HTH,

Steve 

• Like 6

The only gripe I've got with a smooth rack "Crayford" focuser is with the one on my AstroTech 72ED.  It slips horribly near zenith with any load over two pounds (~1kg).  If I tighten down the tension as much as I dare, it won't slip, but it also can't raise the load without me putting my thumb under the diagonal to coax it upward.  By comparison, the 2.5" R&P focuser on my TS Optics 90mm APO has none of these issues.

I know that the MoonLite and Feather Touch focusers don't have these lift issues despite not having a geared rack, so it's just a matter of having a well executed, quality design.

I do have an original style R&P focuser on my 1990s era 15" Dob that wobbles horribly, so just having a geared rack does not guarantee a quality motion.

2 minutes ago, Louis D said:

The only gripe I've got with a smooth rack "Crayford" focuser is with the one on my AstroTech 72ED.  It slips horribly near zenith with any load over two pounds (~1kg).  If I tighten down the tension as much as I dare, it won't slip, but it also can't raise the load without me putting my thumb under the diagonal to coax it upward.  By comparison, the 2.5" R&P focuser on my TS Optics 90mm APO has none of these issues.

I know that the MoonLite and Feather Touch focusers don't have these lift issues despite not having a geared rack, so it's just a matter of having a well executed, quality design.

I do have an original style R&P focuser on my 1990s era 15" Dob that wobbles horribly, so just having a geared rack does not guarantee a quality motion.

The only load I put on my Dobsonian focuser is the eyepiece as it’s a strictly visual affair. If I was selecting a telescope for astrophotography then I would go for the R&P design. It’s the old saying “ Horses for courses “.