Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Another Dob at FLO!

1 hour ago, bosun21 said:

The only load I put on my Dobsonian focuser is the eyepiece as it’s a strictly visual affair. If I was selecting a telescope for astrophotography then I would go for the R&P design. It’s the old saying “ Horses for courses “. 

Are you implying I was loading my AT72ED with photographic gear?  I'm not sure, but it sort of sounds that way.  I'm just loading it with a 2" Dielectric diagonal and 17mm ES-92 or 1.25" diagonal and binoviewer with two eyepieces to exceed 2 pounds in a hurry.

It's all but impossible to make a focuser slip on a Dob because it never comes close to being in a vertical orientation, so that's a non-issue even for astrophotography with one on an equatorial platform.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Louis D said:

Are you implying I was loading my AT72ED with photographic gear?  I'm not sure, but it sort of sounds that way.  I'm just loading it with a 2" Dielectric diagonal and 17mm ES-92 or 1.25" diagonal and binoviewer with two eyepieces to exceed 2 pounds in a hurry.

It's all but impossible to make a focuser slip on a Dob because it never comes close to being in a vertical orientation, so that's a non-issue even for astrophotography with one on an equatorial platform.

No i wasn’t talking about your telescope. I was simply referring to FLO’s post where he stated that R&P is more suited to astrophotography whereas the Crayford is liked by visual astronomers.I’m sorry if you thought it was referring to you 

On 13/11/2021 at 09:49, johninderby said:

Astroshop in Germany is saying the Bresser dobs should be back in stock in 3 to 5 weeks. 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

So hopefully FLO might be getting stock as well. 🙏🏼

Unfortunately Bresser's EU distributor in Germany (Astroshop & FLO source Bresser scopes from the same distributor) say the Messier Dobsonian series will be unavailable for some time. 

This morning they say: 

Bresser Messier Planetary 6" Dobsonian:  April 2022

Bresser Messier 8" Dobsonian:  Feb 2022

Bresser Messier 10" Dobsonian:  Feb 2022

HTH, 

Steve 

• Thanks 2

On 13/11/2021 at 21:52, FLO said:

We have been here before... 😁

You continue to infer the Crayford design is inherently inferior but that is not true. 

Generally speaking, Crayford focusers have a smoother focus action so are preferred by visual astronomers. R&P focusers have, generally speaking, higher load bearing capacity so are preferred by astrophotographers. 

Dobsonian telescopes are designed primarily for visual astronomy. This is why we have chosen CNC machined dual-speed Crayford focusers for StellaLyra Dobsonians and they work beautifully with both 1.25" and 2" eyepieces. 

We like R&P focusers too and offer both StellaLyra and Bresser Messier Dobsonian telescopes 😇 

HTH,

Steve 

Not only that, but, on a Dob, the focuser only ever operates horizontally so it's not required to hold weight against gravity.  In this context a Crayford's smoothness has things going for it. I've grouched about the design often enough but, fair's fair, it's a serious option on a Dob.

Olly

11 hours ago, FLO said:

Unfortunately Bresser's EU distributor in Germany (Astroshop & FLO source Bresser scopes from the same distributor) say the Messier Dobsonian series will be unavailable for some time. 

This morning they say: 

Bresser Messier Planetary 6" Dobsonian:  April 2022

Bresser Messier 8" Dobsonian:  Feb 2022

Bresser Messier 10" Dobsonian:  Feb 2022

HTH, 

Steve 

Appears to also be out of stock across the US (as the Explore FirstLight) as well. ☹️