Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What did you see tonight?

Ags

I've just come in after a visual session to try out some travel kit. I upgraded to an AZ-EQ5 at the end of last year and decided to keep the old SynScan AZ GOTO as a travel mount, and tonight I wanted to check that I could set it up from scratch and had all of the necessary bits to hand. The travel kit consists of either the Skymax 127 (which I used tonight) or the 72mm refractor, both with the 2" diagonal and just two eyepieces, the Baader Zoom and either the Baader Aspheric 36mm (with the Skymax) or the StellaLyra UFF 30mm (with the refractor).

Setup and alignment all went well and it was actually nice to have just the two eyepieces, with one in the diagonal and the other to hand on the tripod tray. I often think that I see more with lower magnification and so it was tonight with even small objects clearer and more obvious with the Aspheric 36mm. This eyepiece has been a real disappointment with all my faster scopes but with the slower Skymax it works well and the lower magnification and wider field of view (1.5°) was very pleasing.

I concentrated on Messier objects, mostly galaxies (it being galaxy season) with some star clusters, and one planetary nebula (M97).

The Beehive (M44) just fitted into the field of view of the 36mm and with it I could take in M81 and M82 together. What really impressed me was being able to observe all three of the Leo Triplet galaxies. M65 and M66 where obvious but for the first time (with averted vision) I could also make out the shape of the Hamburger Galaxy (NGC3628). Markarian’s Chain was harder but similar. M84 and M86 where obvious and I could just make out four of the fainter galaxies. Doing EAA seems to have given me a mental picture of what these objects should look like and that helps me tease out more detail when I observe them visually.

I’m not sure if I saw M101 but I’ve read it can be hard to see. I’m more confident about the Owl Nebula (M97) as I had checked beforehand what the surrounding star pattern should look like. It would have been easier to confirm this planetary nebula if I’d been using the filter wheel and could have switch in and out the UHC filter.

I was very impressed with the Aspheric 36mm when used with the Skymax, and glad that I hadn’t sold it!

• Like 10

Down in Swanage for Easter and sneaked in an hour on Peveril Point with the 10x42 Canon IS bin’s.  Once I got the town lights behind the hill I had a good sky, especially from S round to NW. 

Excellent views in Auriga with the three Messier clusters very apparent amid a sparkling rich field (must check as am sure there must be other NGCs in the view there).  M36 (Pinwheel Cluster) showed form and was resolving to diamond dust in averted vision. 

Picked out M3 & M13 and enjoyed M44 and Melotte 111 (Coma star cluster).  M65 & M66 down as maybes… 
Spent time on the Double Cluster and wandering through Cassiopeia. 

Lying on the ground to look overhead I was able to pick out M81 & M82 and the faintest smudge where M51 is supposed to be. No such luck with long stares at the spots for M109 & M101. 
Cloud swept in leaving just enough time for a last sweep of glittering Auriga. 

Edited by SuburbanMak
  • Like 14

I went out early this evening while it was still daylight. The sky was clear and the Sun was well below my local western horizon. I searched for Jupiter for a while with the naked eye and as soon as I found it I aimed the scope at it. It was my hope I'd be able to catch it before it got too low in my western sky, and also in the hope I could sketch it.  Through the binoviewer at 166X there was a lot of detail but turbulence made it difficult to see easily. Still, I made a sketch and continued to study the detail through the scope. Out of curiosity I decided to compare the SvBony 3-8mm zoom to the view I'd had through the binoviewer, and was pleasantly surprised at the well defined belt detail at the 5mm setting which gave 208X in the FS128. I'm not certain if the atmosphere had steadied somewhat, but the zoom enabled me to more precisely position some detail on my sketch, and showed me some more subtle detail I hadn't seen earlier. I also like the fact that I could fine tune the zoom by choosing powers between the click stops.

After going back into the house for a horlicks, I made a cleaned up version of the eyepiece sketch, then went out again to have a brief look around the sky using my set of Ultraflat eyepieces. I started with the Pleiades over in the west using the 30mm, then swung the scope round to look at M51. Then I dropped down to catch a glimpse of M13 which looked gorgeous through the 10mm Ultraflat, after which I swung around to pick up the clusters in Auriga. I caught a sweet little triple star and a lone blood red star in Gemini but have no idea what their names or designation might be. Then finally i finished the session by aimlessly sweeping along the Perseus chain and into Cassiopeia.  The sky was misting over a little and so felt it was time to call it a night.

• Like 14

I got out for just the 2nd time with the new gtix , with the st120 on one side and previously  @SuburbanMak's mak127 on the other.   You may have read my vent/frustration after last night's 1st go at Mercury and pons-brooks.   Tonight Different location,  my brother's place in Essex bortle 4 ish.  I had higher hopes but new a clear view west wouldn't be easy.  Well I found a decent spot to set up,  but didn't find the comet.  Determined not to get frustrated though I considered it just 'practice ' and with my 3yo, my brother,  nephew and mum there I largely just viewed Jupiter.   Seeing was a bit wiggly but could get decent enough views to see the banding at 185x in the 120.  I should have tried a higher mag on the mak but it's tough trying to remember all the things to try while talking/explaining to that many...

Checked out a few other new bits/eps... all seemed to work although nearly didn't have the in focus travel for a barlowed Morpheus...  mount generally OK although last thing I tried was whirlpool galaxy which my nephew has found easily with my 300mm dob which I've 'given him'  .... something was awry and the mount aimed somewhere in Leo....pah.... at the point the dew was descending rapidly (although the earlier clouds had shifted) so I called it....I'll call tonight a success and after last night it definitely was..... although no sightings of the comet or a dso...it felt like a(small) step forward though. 

• Like 14

It was a partly cloudy and misty night here in Perth. Just enough gaps in the clouds for me to observe with my 10x50mm binoculars. 

The highlight was watching the waning gibbous moon slowly rise above the horizon with red Antares 1° away! Absolutely fantastic sight in the bino's . I was surprised that I could make out Antares that low down. 

• Like 11

Ended up the wife had had her family visiting from accross Europe so I didn't get out till about 2245.  Tough choice tonight, I could either take the Dob out for some guaranteed visual goodness or try mounting the Technosky 102 on the GEM 28 and figuring out that for visual.  In the end I decided to try the refractor.

Initially things did not go well.  The mount wanted me to callibrate the ipolar which I've never had to do.  In the end I couldn't figure it out and just used some default options from a cloudy night thread.  I then tried to pair it over wifi to skysafari and that was an even bigger disaster.  Just no joy at all.  I decided to throw caution to the wind and try a 1 star alignment on the handset.  Vega was up and not far off north so decided it would do.  To my surprise it wasn't a million miles away with the 32mm plossl after the slew.  Dropped in the 12mm BST, Aligned and threw it to M92

To my great surprise, it was right in the middle of the FOV!  A delightful sight.  I love the difference you get in targets between small and big scopes.  The 102 is obviously not going to present the same view as a 10", but it was really something watching the glob fade into view with more detail coming in all the time.  I've never really noticed before but there is a sweet spot for averted vision.  If you don't get it right the target looks a bit brighter but if you nail it it fairly pops!

I tried for M61 but I couldn't make anything out.  I remembered that with the AZGTI you were better off finding a bright star nearby to sync to first so I pointed it at Arcturus, and sync'd on that.  Before I went for a new target I dropped in the 8mm BST and decided I would try a star test.  I think with my Newts I've never seen a diffraction pattern quite like it.  perfect circles on both sides of focus.  Tried for M3  and got a fleeting glimpse of it before it got clouded out, literally seconds.  I plumped for Cor Caroli next.  I can't say why, but it's one of my favourite doubles.

Didn't get as much done as I would have liked, and hopefully I'll get some more cloud free nights before I'm back to work, but it was still a good night.  The GEM28 is a great mount.  It was nice having something capable of supporting the 102 at higher powers (it's now significant'y heavier with the handle and 2" diagonal).  After having persistant issues with the coffee grinder powered azgti it was a revelation.  Incredibly quiet even slewing at max speed and more accurate on the pointing to boot.  Quite happy with the evening all in all and felling much better (but very cold) for having gotten out!

• Like 17

Just a few favourite double stars tonight with the 100mm Tak. Short session just to say that "I've been out" 🙂

If I don't do a bit of observing now and then, questions start getting asked about the "need" to have 6 telescopes knocking around the dining room 😬

Showed my better half Porrima (Gamma Virgonis) earlier, when she enquired what I was looking at. Seemed to impress 😁

• Like 19

March 30th pm, headed to Penistone Hill country Park again for 12P Pons-Brooks with 10x50s and the Seestar S50.  Arrived by around 7.30, and by 7.55 started the exposure of the comet.  I was surprised the S50 found it so easily with few stars and the sky still fairly light in the NW. Comet altitude 14 degrees.

Visually the comets tail was perhaps 2 to 2 1/2 degrees in binoculars at best by the time I left about 9.30pm. Transparency was not great. 

After observing the comet I took an image of The Monkey's Head Nebula, an object I hadn't observed previously - I think I've been missing out.  I was very surprised how quickly the nebulosity appeared as the image was starting to stack, only about a mi ute and a half. 

To a non - imager it surprises me how quickly some of the showpiece nebulae are captured by the S50 and the detail a 50mm refractor can produce.

20240331_111409.thumb.jpg.2adfdd6eb95ef17ffb799656a31edeb0.jpg

20240331_002538.thumb.jpg.2c1be6a3caafc2befd25c9a7e9863ea1.jpg

• Like 9

First long night session of the year for me and fantastic to be outside again… it has been poor! Southampton, Bortle 7, Sky-Watcher 200p Dob. Very mild for the time of year with no need to wrap up.

Started off with M81/82 - always geat, transparency OK, but some thin high level cloud about. Then onto M51 where, for the first time, I could actually see something! After that a globular fest:- M3, M13, M92 & M53 (M3 & M13 surprisingly good) before the moon washed things out and I called it a night. For me a lot of targets. I often just stick to 2 or 3. I’ll try and do a report later. 

Just added some smartphone snaps of M3 & M13 here…

Edited by PeterStudz
  • Like 12

I had a pretty good session last night. Several doubles in Sextans and a bunch of galaxies in Leo, Virgo and Coma Berenices. M44 also really stood out. 

I'll write a full report soon.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 8

On 30/03/2024 at 23:29, mikeDnight said:

I went out early this evening while it was still daylight. The sky was clear and the Sun was well below my local western horizon. I searched for Jupiter for a while with the naked eye and as soon as I found it I aimed the scope at it. It was my hope I'd be able to catch it before it got too low in my western sky, and also in the hope I could sketch it.  Through the binoviewer at 166X there was a lot of detail but turbulence made it difficult to see easily. Still, I made a sketch and continued to study the detail through the scope. Out of curiosity I decided to compare the SvBony 3-8mm zoom to the view I'd had through the binoviewer, and was pleasantly surprised at the well defined belt detail at the 5mm setting which gave 208X in the FS128. I'm not certain if the atmosphere had steadied somewhat, but the zoom enabled me to more precisely position some detail on my sketch, and showed me some more subtle detail I hadn't seen earlier. I also like the fact that I could fine tune the zoom by choosing powers between the click stops.

After going back into the house for a horlicks, I made a cleaned up version of the eyepiece sketch, then went out again to have a brief look around the sky using my set of Ultraflat eyepieces. I started with the Pleiades over in the west using the 30mm, then swung the scope round to look at M51. Then I dropped down to catch a glimpse of M13 which looked gorgeous through the 10mm Ultraflat, after which I swung around to pick up the clusters in Auriga. I caught a sweet little triple star and a lone blood red star in Gemini but have no idea what their names or designation might be. Then finally i finished the session by aimlessly sweeping along the Perseus chain and into Cassiopeia.  The sky was misting over a little and so felt it was time to call it a night.

Mike have you found the Svbony needs a lot more in focus than a normal say 6mm eyepiece. I tried it in my set up for solar (Tal) but would not focus never thought much of it as lower focal length eyepieces wont focus , I thought it was just the solar wedge but had the vixen out and it would not focus in that. Have to try the Tal with the 2" diagonal in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wookie1965 said:

Mike have you found the Svbony needs a lot more in focus than a normal say 6mm eyepiece. I tried it in my set up for solar (Tal) but would not focus never thought much of it as lower focal length eyepieces wont focus , I thought it was just the solar wedge but had the vixen out and it would not focus in that. Have to try the Tal with the 2" diagonal in.

I haven't noticed a problem with in focusing the 3-8 zoom Paul, but I haven't used a wedge for a long time. I bought a Lunt 1.25" Herschel wedge a few years ago and found I couldn't get enough inward focus using my FC100DC focuser with some eyepieces. I haven't tried one on my DZ, but I think the Wedge takes up more light path than a standard diagonal. 

10 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

I haven't noticed a problem with in focusing the 3-8 zoom Paul, but I haven't used a wedge for a long time. I bought a Lunt 1.25" Herschel wedge a few years ago and found I couldn't get enough inward focus using my FC100DC focuser with some eyepieces. I haven't tried one on my DZ, but I think the Wedge takes up more light path than a standard diagonal. 

Yes I have the 1.25" Lunt wedge and noticed I cannot focus with some eyepieces including the 3-8 zoom I thought it would be different in a normal 1.23" diagonal but it would not focus in the vixen at all yet a 4.5mm TMB.

2 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

With the DC you can remove the green spacer to get more in focus. My FC100 fitted with an FT needs an 80mm extension tube (I use the Tak that came with it), so there's never going to be a problem with in focus, even with a 2" wedge - I can just swap the 80mm for a smaller one if needed.
I use my 120mm achro with the Baader Coolwedge though, and the Svbony definitely won't focus with that combination. My other eyepieces leave 8-10mm of in focus and I'm guessing the Svbony would need at least another 5mm.

• Like 3

Out for what seems like the first time in weeks … the Williams Optics ZS81 sitting on the nexstar mount .. clouds coming and going but the Beehive looking resplendent. Plaides were nice too … colour correction on the scope is great ( first light for this beauty) . Tracking is better and better thanks to the mounts “sync” control . A good evening 

Edited by Stu1smartcookie
  • Like 5

I've been doing a few measurements of where eyepieces reach focus. Of mine, the Svbony 3-8 zoom is the one that needs the most inwards focuser travel and the TV Panoptic's (and other TV par-focal group "b" eyepieces) need the most outwards travel. With the scope that I have been testing with (a long focal length refractor) the range of focuser travel I needed to accommodate the needs of both extremes was ~16mm when the scope was focused on Polaris.

• Like 3

An unexpected lovely clear night. I took out my OO/Helmerichs 8” newt on Skytee2. I only really wanted to see 12P Pons/Brooks, which I did and which was splendid as First Light for my Morpheus 12.5 (thanks @bosun21) at 80x.

Jupiter was a boiling mess with a side order of CA (low and directly over Baltimore village).

Sigma Orionis was striking, the sometimes-faint C star quite clear. Trapezium was too low really, E fleetingly evident.

I wanted to see Mu Cephei, Herschel’s Garnet star and very red it was (also naked eye but not bright enough to see colour).

M1 was barely detected, odd as I’d expected it to leap out in 8” of aperture. On checking the secondary, dew was the culprit so I called it a night. Very nice to get out with a newt though.

Just about qualifies for a full report I think after a dearth, to follow tomorrow.

Cheers, Magnus 

• Like 16

An utterly frustrating and baffling night for me. What promised to be 3-4 hours imaging of clear sky turned into a night of fighting against various things. First for some reason my Bahtinov mask seemed to only produce a blobby mess of colours with no indication of focus no matter how bright or dim the star I aimed the scope at. Focus looked “ok” without it via captured images but for some reason it was impossible to get focus even close with it on. 
Finally relied on eyesight (risky I know at my age) and started PA using Indigo A1…and it utterly failed giving me errors of 1000s of degrees and slewing to utterly baffling orientations. Tried Kstars on mac. For some reason the INDI server kept stopping and starting and the profile i was using was deciding to drop equipment randomly. Tried Kstars via Astroberry for the pa. Used the online solver as for some reason when I use the downloaded indices it just hangs and eventually fails. It solved images fine but when doing the PA routine the updated error kept failing to update.I ended up aligning a bit, noting the error then starting the whole alignment process again hoping I could get closer. Finally after about 2.5 hours after setting up I was ready to go. Find m101 and use Kstars to slew to target in the solver to resolve the syncing and it just danced around the centre of the screen for another 30 mins sometimes getting close then suddenly losing it and having to try to home in again. Finally just settled for “near enough” and started imaging.

Clouds rolled in on image 3 of the sequence..Bah!!! It’s patchy cloud so I might just let it run and see if I can salvage some images.

• Sad 3

What a fabulous night. Caught the GRS on Jupiter while it was still relatively high, followed by Mercury as thin crescent. Comet Pons-Brooks was just superb showing off its tail beautifully. Later on, cruised through Virgo picking up over 25 galaxies including Markarian’s Chain with the 10” dob. Moving onto M51 which showed wonderful spiral structure. Finished up with M81 and M82 which the dark lane in M82 easily visible. The dob has been under utilised  lately but showed its class tonight. 2 planets, a comet and over 30 galaxies. Very happy!

• Like 23

After a futile hour trying to split Tegmine i had a further fun couple of hours chasing a few Herschel discovered galaxies in Leo, Leo Minor and Sextans. I was trying out a new to me Meade 14mm UWA and i found it to be exactly what i wanted - comfy, immersive, crisp to the edge with a nice FOV and most importantly a nice 1.8mm exit pupil at x70 for galaxy hunting with my 130mm scope.

The dimmest Galaxy i detected was the face on spiral NGC 2859 (with a surface brightness of Mag. 14 (MPSAS ~22), this was a real threshold detection, 50% direct/50% averted vision. The most interesting was the elliptical NGC 2974 with a striking silvery elongation clear in the EP even as i brought my eye up to it. Others included NGC 2903, NGC 3227, NGC 3190, NGC 3193, & NGC 2964.

As i collect my notes this morning and check both Uranometria Deep Sky Field Guide and Interstallarum Deep Sky Guide (plus some Herschel notes) it is clear i have missed out on loads of observable detail and i knew at the time i was missing nearby slightly dimmer companions with nearly all of these galaxies (i was on the look out for groups) so all will need revisiting at some point to properly do them justice. To be honest transparency wasn't very good last night and so i was aware even in the moment it was going to be limited to detection and brief notes on shape/orientation in this session.

Still good to be out in a fairly opportunistic weather window. 

Edited by josefk
  • Like 12

It’s great to be back with the PST. Three lovely large plages visible alongside a bright flaring region. A few large proms, one ejecting an enormous amount of material into space.

IMG_7129.jpeg

• Like 12

The skies were a bit "mucky" in East Anglia yesterday evening (Monday 1st April). 

Just to see what happened I tried to pick up comet 12P with my phone, It wasn't great but it shows in the photos. 

IMG_20240402_204046_(1727_x_2300_pixel).thumb.jpg.b0832a365acc887b9aa7ff156cfc79e4.jpg

IMG_20240402_203723_(1652_x_2200_pixel).thumb.jpg.168df645152b6eacb429818179b6d43a.jpg

IMG_20240402_203704_(1071_x_1343_pixel).thumb.jpg.33e93fcf538e26ae29eb44e44d8208e6.jpg

Edited by scotty1
  • Like 10