Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

more from last night

neil phillips

Outstanding Neil!  You sure you were not on a mountain top in France?  lol.   The full size stands up well.  Clavius is fabulous.   The first two views are pretty special I think.   Super clean and great contrasts and details.

I continue to get skunked by the weather.   Hoping for tomorrow and/or Sunday early AM.

Cheers

Mike

2 hours ago, WestCoastCannuck said:

Outstanding Neil!  You sure you were not on a mountain top in France?  lol.   The full size stands up well.  Clavius is fabulous.   The first two views are pretty special I think.   Super clean and great contrasts and details.

I continue to get skunked by the weather.   Hoping for tomorrow and/or Sunday early AM.

Cheers

Mike

Hi Mike thanks good to see you around. Its been good getting the moon at decent elevation. its helping with detail for sure. Though i havent hit the peak yet i dont think. Good seeing is all thats missing. 

25 minutes ago, Kimboman said:

Great images I looked at them with a magnifying glass shows great details well done

Thats a good idea actually. I do something similair. Blowing the image up on a 4k 32" monitor to look for noise. Can be a fine line to get right sometimes. But noise is something not real on top of something that is. so worth controlling cheers for the comments

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Neil

It's Nick from back in the old days.  Glad to see you are still out there, keeping well, and  getting these amazing photos!.  I know what you are trying to do with making theses shots look as natuaral as possible.  I have attached a version of one of the images with the levels boosted in the dark areas  You have probably already tried this!  Just thought I would see what you think.

..neil.thumb.png.1681a4d91a432cf39b860167d47091d4.png

32 minutes ago, Nick Smith said:

Hi Neil

It's Nick from back in the old days.  Glad to see you are still out there, keeping well, and  getting these amazing photos!.  I know what you are trying to do with making theses shots look as natuaral as possible.  I have attached a version of one of the images with the levels boosted in the dark areas  You have probably already tried this!  Just thought I would see what you think.

..neil.thumb.png.1681a4d91a432cf39b860167d47091d4.png

Hi Nick Good to speak with you. I think i remember morning approaching which made the contrast more washed out. I personally dont mind the effect It looks very natural on the highlights less forced. As you say its naturally closer to the lighting at the time. Your contrast levels blacks lift has certainly brought out more detail. Often i do boost contrast. When capturing in bright sky. For obvious reasons. I think the 4k 32" monitor i am using here is quite contrasty. Thats often the difficult thing talking about levels on different monitors. Having said that i did indeed leave the levels more like they were  captured. Interesting tweak Nick

Edited by neil phillips

1 hour ago, Nick Smith said:

Thanks Neil.  I have been printing a lot of stuff out lately, so it is essential to get the levels/contrast as high as possible.   For the internet, with most monitors, your stuff looks AMAZING!

Makes Sense Nick. And thank you for the positive feedback. Since getting a Antares 1/30th secondary. Which is about as small as i could go CO wise. Cleaning the primary. Resetting the cell. Resetting the focuser. I  have noticed the Old Orion. Performing nicely.  Dont think ive hit the peak just yet. Since returning to lunar and planetary imaging.  Work in progress. ( Best seeing and Focal length optimizing) Still really enjoying trying to get quality after all these years. The pandemic has influenced this. Sure you know what i mean. You inspired me in so many ways actually Nick. Still remember your large mosaics. And the quality level being awesome. Something to aspire too.  Talking about printing was thinking about getting this one done if you have any tips. I am guessing you would boost the levels. Its just i like the reduced glare on highlights

For picture.png 2.png 3 (1).png

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 1