Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Is it really necessary to have a expensive/strong mount for a larger Newtonian reflector for visual ?

Hey all! Quick question if i may!? I am currently torn over whether to chance buying a cheaper/less robust mount for my 10inch newt. reflector like a Skywatcher EQ5 mount for visual ? Is the wobbling really that bad if i "under power" the mount size/weight for my large 10 inch reflector ?? I really am not fussy about having ultra stable mounting for said 'scope, but am worried the wobbling may be terrible and ruin views if it's much worse than i anticipated ? Thanks for any advice/help! Wes.

*wanted - SW 250 newt. reflector 250/1200

Skywatcher newt. reflector 114/500 EQ1 mount

Skywatcher newt. reflector 130/900 EQ2 mount

@wesdon1 I don’t think it would be terribly rewarding! Waiting for vibrations to settle down each time you focus would be a pain. There is the vibration in the mount to consider, but also flex in the tube with it only being mounted one side.

Out of interest, why not choose a Dobsonian mount? They are much more stable and the eyepiece stays in the same orientation all the time. Eyepiece positioning on an EQ mounted newt can be very frustrating for visual, needing you to rotate the tube in the rings.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Why use EQ mount at all?

You can have it on dob mount, or put it on SkyTee2?

Newtonian scopes are much easier to use on alt-az type mount due to position of eyepiece.

If you want tracking, for planetary or double star work - look into EQ platform and dob mount combination.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Don't do it Wes! I know the firms say the EQ5 can handle around10kg in their ads and they even sell them as outfits with 8" Newts and 6" fracs on but NO. I have tried, it does not work. Large loads like this will not break or damage the mount but your observing experience will be one of frustration. Take it from a fool like me whose has done these things. Take all the load capacity ratings with a pinch of salt. Halve them and you will allowing your scope to perform to the best of it's ability. For a big scope like yours it's an HEQ5 minimum, EQ6 ideal if you want EQ. Maybe a Dobsonian mount would be the answer. If it were me I would look for an old Fullerscopes MkIV to refurbish, they were built like steam trains.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fellow newb here. I just went from my 100mm refractor to an older 8" Celestron SCT and I found the mechanical part of it to be cumbersome.

There's a lot of satisfaction to be had for slewing to something with your hand and getting it in your frame, easily.

I echo the advice here to go Dob mount unless you know for certain you're going to turn into an AP-pro and can't wait.

The difference between a perfectly tracked view on an EQ mount vs. it pulling out of frame and adjusting with a dob is real but I personally find the latter better when I'm being laid back and looking into a scope as opposed to just leaving the scope standing and taking pictures while I drink coffee and chat with someone next time.

With your scope and people can correct me if I'm wrong but the proper EQ mount for the weight would be like $1700 in the form of an EQ6.

• Thanks 1

HEQ5 minimum I’m afraid. I have an 8 inch on an EQ6 R Pro for visual only after going through all the sizes before reaching the the EQ6 R Pro and I wouldn’t go smaller now (there’s no doubt I have over mounted but better too much than not enough and I wanted to future proof). There’s zero vibration with my current mount but the EQ5 suffered a lot. The dob is a good alternative 

Edited by Jiggy 67
  • Thanks 1

I use an NEQ6 with my 10" Newt. Fine for imaging but when I was visual only I often found the eyepiece difficult to reach and not just height but position also. I had to plan which side of the mount he objects I'd be observing would be on because swapping from east to west required the tube to be rorated in the rings before aligning for GoTo. Or risk messing up alignment by rotating the tube or having an inaccessible eyepiece.

So even bigger mounts still presents problems. If I was buying a new main scope I'd go for a Cassegrain or  variant thereof.

• Thanks 1

I dont have issues in visual use with an 8 inch newtonian and an EQM35-PRO. The only hassle is making sure the eyepiece is in a usable angle. Different parts of the sky have different tube orientations so the tube rings must be adjustable.

Focusing will take some effort, i will slightly move the reduced 1:10 knob and wait for the shakes to settle over 2 or so seconds and adjust again until in ideal focus. I cannot touch the telescope in any way (including with my eye) or it shakes. But honestly its not a problem at all.

I think the mount ratings are very much accurate for visual use.

• Thanks 1

I have a 200p on an eq5 and for visual it’s fine but near the limit I recon. As others say above, you do need to get used to rotating it in the rings as you move it around though. Again for me this is not a problem.

However I’d say the eq5 wouldn’t handle a 10” there’s a big dimensional difference between the two sizes and the 200p is like a sail already if there’s even the slightest of a breeze. It’s not just about the pay load unfortunately.

I also have a 12” dob which I got last year, appature fever finally got the better of me but I couldn’t afford an EQ6 at the time. To my surprise (I was a committed eq user for decades) I have found the dob base just as enjoyable but for different reasons. Convenience to set up being it’s strongest point, but I still dislike nudging at high mag. I’ve no longer any plans to get an EQ6.

So for planets etc I use the eq with motor drive and for DSO and panning around, it’s the dob.

Basically they are both great but just different. Some love one or the other, I’ve grown fond of both for different reasons.

Given I don’t think the eq5 will take a 10” newt to any useable extent I’d make a dob base for it. You can’t get cheaper than that.

Steve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, SMF said:

Wish I hadn’t seen that vlaiv.

I want one now 😩.

Add it to the Xmas list. 

They are great! I have a Watch House EQ platform and it makes all the difference for high power planetary and lunar observing. You can just concentrate on the views and catch the best moments of good seeing, rather than nudging constantly.

CA407DDB-9100-478A-B2F6-083B0D76D662.jpeg

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Stu said:

They are great! I have a Watch House EQ platform and it makes all the difference for high power planetary and lunar observing. You can just concentrate on the views and catch the best moments of good seeing, rather than nudging constantly.

CA407DDB-9100-478A-B2F6-083B0D76D662.jpeg

I'll second that Stu...love mine for viewing the planets, it's deffo a keeper for me :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I’m guessing a 10” Skywatcher will be over 15kg with finder and eyepiece. Perhaps a little much for the SkyTee II? I would certainly upgrade the clamps to better ones if trying this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Louis D said:

Obviously aimed at the Euro market since the majority of the US lies between 25° and 47° north latitude.

I think it is Ukraine based company, so yes, probably aimed at Euro market (at least for now).

• Like 1

If it's going to be worse than my C8 on the stock Nexstar mount I would say don't do it (others will have to tell me if that's true, I'm uber new).

Having to wait for things to settle, sucks.

I was debating similar things for months in my head and I'm glad I wound up with this setup cheaply because I now know to plus up the mount rather than try and bring it to the line of what's "acceptable."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1