NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter 5 Spots On The Face & Jovian Moon Eclipse

Aussie Dave

Before the event on the 15th of August 2021 to show what's what for the animated gif. The moon Io left the sesnsors ROI when the time came to start the run of videos. Seeing was poor to average from the Mandurah Peel Region, Western Australia. Images are correctly orientated for this location.

1717059445_23_23_37_l6_ap16010p908strs200pB-SplineJupiterFinal.png.6140568ef42979fa2d5f7845ed33702a.png

My animated gif of the 5 spot (2 moon, 3 moon shadow) on the face of Jupiter with Jovian moon eclipse. I just managed to get the 5 spots at the start, then towards the end of the gif you can see the lighter coloured moon which is Europa from bottom right of Jupiter move up to the larger darker grey'ish coloured Moon which is Ganymede and pass under it, then come out the other side as a darker colour which would be in the shadow of Ganymede. While this is happening these two particular moon shadows join together.

102275008_Jupiter5SpotTransitplusJovianMoonEclipse.gif.2aef4f2b2faed63385f913dcb78e0c61.gif

This gif was from 30 x 2 minute videos with roughly a minute in between to re-focus.

Captured in SharpCap, aligned and stacked in AutoStakkert, wavelets and RGB Balance applied in RegiStax and resized, with further colour correction in PaintDotNet. Animated gif made on eazygif.com website but I had to manually make/copy a reverse sequence of frames to make the forverce animation with 3 each of the first and last frames in the sequence for the slight pause at the start and the end.

ZWO ASI224MC
Saxon 8" Maksutov Cassegrain
Sky-Watcher AZ-EQ6 Pro
Edited by Aussie Dave
typo
  • Like 28

• Aussie Dave changed the title to Jupiter 5 Spots On The Face & Jovian Moon Eclipse

Thanks everyone :) I only wished it was better seeing but was glad to capture it and see it on live view on the laptop.

19 hours ago, Paul M said:

Wow! So much happening! I don't remember seeing an eclipsed satellite transit the disk before. 

Very nicely captured! 

@Paul M no neither have I, it's not a very common event, also getting 5 spots is not that common.

Also a heads up and thanks to a fellow amateur astronomer David Grey, this Sunday on the 22nd from about 10pm here we will be treated to another Jovian moon eclipse but it won't be over the face of Jupiter. Europa will pass in to the shadow of Ganymede, then pass under the Moon Ganymede for an almost total eclipse with just a very slight edge visible but only the bigger telescopes with long focal lengths and Barlows and Powermates will be able to see/resolve that edge if at all. Ganymede will practically totally eclipse Europa. Europa will look like it's slowly disappearing just before it reaches Ganymede, then re-appear on the other side of Ganymede.

Edited by Aussie Dave
typo
  • Like 1