NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Dark skies at last….

Stu

42 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Looks amazing Stu. I can tell you will be very happy there. Have you already started speaking slowly and leaning on farm gates whilst chewing a piece of straw?

Oh, and I see a nice spot for @ScouseSpaceCadet’s rustic hovel 👍🏻

I hope so Jeremy.

I must say, the people do seem very friendly down here, not necessarily something you can always say up near ‘the big smoke’

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Stu said:

I must say, the people do seem very friendly down here, not necessarily something you can always say up near ‘the big smoke’

You'll still be "those newcomers" for the next twenty years though :D

James

• Haha 2

Wow. Not jealous at all Stu. Want to make absolutely clear that in no way are my congratulations tinged with an overwhelming sense of envy. As you set off on your journey through the Sharpless Catalogue, spare a thought for us poor souls who are doing the Lunar 100 for the third time.

Seriously - looks incredible.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, JamesF said:

You'll still be "those newcomers" for the next twenty years though :D

Try Cumbria. Outsider for 3 generations!

Seriously though, I am currently on holiday in Pembrokeshire and for the first time in years I can see Andromeda with the naked eye. Anyone with 'proper' dark skies makes me jealous.

• Like 1

Sommerset is a beautiful part of the world. There is quite a difference observing on Waltons Green to a rural setting, however Waltons Green does have the Prince of Wales pub on it for when the cloud comes in 😃.

As far as SQM measurements, most of the data sources are I believe based on 2015 measurements and I believe that light pollution has increased a little. Same time I find SQM highly directional.

Really hope the move works out and remote working is here to stay as this opens the door to not having to choose between work and our interests..

Ps. Looking forward to your reports on new kit. 

3 hours ago, Deadlake said:

Sommerset is a beautiful part of the world. There is quite a difference observing on Waltons Green to a rural setting, however Waltons Green does have the Prince of Wales pub on it for when the cloud comes in 😃.

The person I bought my refractor from gave up observing on that Walton green precisely because of that pub. Because he had to drive there, the proximity of the beer and its total unavailability broke him 🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Congratulations Stu so happy for you and your family I will look forward to some good reports from you. 

When I win the lottery I will be in the market for a nice house/ bungalow facing farmers fields or something similar so I can see a lot more than from here. (dreams) 

Once again Stu congratulations I am sure you and your family will make some really great memories at your new home. 

Best wishes 

Paul 

Edited by wookie1965
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Captain Magenta said:

The person I bought my refractor from gave up observing on that Walton green precisely because of that pub. Because he had to drive there, the proximity of the beer and its total unavailability broke him 🤣🤣

That establishment does look very inviting last time I visited. 

Hi Stu

Congrats on the move, this is the area I have been looking at as well. I can't move for another couple of years.  It is fantastic down there. If you get a chance take some binos up Golden Cap, and when at the coast you have to do some fossiling 😊

Cheers

Ian

• Thanks 1

Congratulations Stu, great move for you and your family. I have just returned from a week near Kelling Heath, 1st time in several decades i have seen the Milky way glowing above me. A beautiful sight that i think is probably going to be lost ever for the vast majority of the worlds population 😞

seeing the constellations swamped by stars was terrific, enjoy those skies Stu 🙂

• Thanks 1