NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Saturn & Jupiter

morimarty

I'd guess these are still pretty low in the sky for you ?     Excellent detail.

Pardon my  ignorance,   does  "Rrgb"  mean you used  the red capture as a luminosity channel ??      How does that help ??

My planetary imaging is a bit basic to say the least and I am hoping to go up a level or two during the Summer holiday nights.

Cheers, Sean.

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments and likes everyone they are much appreciated. @Craney Hi Sean the red channel as a little bit more intricate detail than the G&B channels so adding it as a luminance can bring out a bit more detail. but it can be a fine balancing act as it can dilute the colours. @si@niteHi Simon Yep very strange the higher the planets climbed the worse the seeing got. We live and learn😀

• Thanks 1

Lovely work Martyn. Your IR RGB Saturns are working well. Just got a filter  wheel to do just that too. What IR filter are you using ? its doing a great job. Do you process the rings and planet separately ?  Some nice fine detail on jupiter too. Great captures nice processing

• Like 1

Peter Jeremy & Neil thanks for the positive comments. Neil I use a baader IR 685 filter but I am finding the difference is very subtle indeed. The Asi 290mm is really close to the IR band and most of the time my red channel is better than the IR. Even on the moon. Regarding saturn I sometimes process the rings seperately depending on the data quality I capture.

• Like 1

On 14/07/2021 at 20:23, maw lod qan said:

All of the images are amazing. 

Those of Saturn are unbelievable! Not bothering to check, what is it now? 

A billion and a half miles?

The distance is currently 9AU so 830 million miles. And Saturn is just barely reaching 20 degrees elevation in the UK, which makes this image even more impressive!

• Like 1