Narrowband

SGL challenge 4 - Noctilucent Clouds

For those in the northern hemisphere we are about to come into noctilucent cloud season.  For those of you who aren't familiar with these beautiful but elusive clouds you can learn more here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noctilucent_cloud

Start date 1st May 2021

End date 31st July 2021

As previously the winner and runners up will receive an SGL challenge mug showing their image along with a virtual medal-of-honour for their SGL signature.

Please post entries directly into this thread

To keep the thread manageable for the judges please do not post comments about entries, emoji reactions are welcome of course.

--

RULES

All data must be captured and processed by you (no collaborative entries). 
Data must be captured during the challenge start & end dates. 
Multiple entries are allowed but please make a fresh post within the thread.
Multiple submissions of the same image, processed differently, will not be accepted.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/05/2021 at 10:07, MartinB said:

For those in the northern hemisphere we are about to come into noctilucent cloud season. 

We're already there. I saw very thin clouds two nights ago. Unfortunately too thin to photograph.

• 4 weeks later...

The rudimentary sky camera may have got lucky. Noctilucent clouds, Jupiter, Saturn and possibly a fireball. The clouds didn't behave like normal passing clouds but sort of rippled and glowed.

07th June between 02:03 - 02:51 | gorilla pod with a ASI462 and the 150° lens sat on a window sill inside connected to a W10 7" tablet running ALLSKEye (then batch cropped and video)

• Like 6

Haven't had a chance to capture any this year due to clouds of the bad variety, here are some Noctilucent Clouds over Sunderland back in June 2019 :)

Edit..... Just noticed that the rules state that the image must have been captured during the challenge dates so please disregard this image :) 

IMG_20190622_092554_766.jpg

Edited by Stuf1978
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Noctilucent Clouds from Swaledale, North Yorkshire.  23.15 on June 21st 2020.

Field barn (previously Punchard Toll House) under an extensive display.  Canon 6D MkII 1s and iso400.  Sigma 24mm at f3.5.  Photoshop.

Cheers, Paul

IMG_3187 04 burn 01.jpg

Edited by clarkpm4242
  • Like 13

Happen to glance out of the window last night and saw a nice albeit low display, 

Tried to capture some images with the Canon, but its been so long that I couldn't really remember how to take manual pictures, and secondly couldn't find the tripod!!! 

This images was taken with my S10+ handheld, everything on auto. Amazing what these phones can do these days. 

20210623_231901.jpg

Edited by Ant
  • Like 8

Stunning display last night (23 June) hopefully seen by lots of people.  I managed to capture a timelapse from here in the Cambridgeshire Fens, over the course of about 75 minutes.  I used a Canon 6D mk1 with a Samyang 14mm lens - amazing that it exceeded the very wide angle frame at the start!

I have no idea if video is allowed in these competitions, but here we go for my first ever entry!! 😊

• Like 14

Last nights brief, but very bold Noctilucent cloud display over Biggleswade This was captured by balancing my tripod in the bedroom window, to try and keep the phone cables out of the view My earliest NLC view, very high in the sky as well, around 50 degrees!

306151234_2021_06_2322.31Noctilucentclouds.thumb.jpg.ab0743b156cdf372a99d5e218cda8336.jpg

• Like 10

Noctilucent clouds framed with Cassiopeia - 25/6/2021 20:27:44 UTC - Canon G7X II at 8.8mm (35mm equivalent of 24.6mm) focal length, ISO6400, 1/10 sec at f1.8

Vines-1920.jpg

Edited by Avocette
Couldn't spell Cassiopeia!
  • Like 4

The last couple of weeks has been very frustrating with atmospheric cloud, but I've had the time to assemble this 30-pane pano of the event on 23 June, taken from my favourite local spot in the Cambridgeshire Fens.  

15x2 pane pano.  Canon EOS1000D with 50mm f/1.8.  Each pane 1.6s at ISO400. 

790532281_20210623NLCoverSwavseyLake(50mmPano).thumb.jpg.62940f3f01344667b5b55572111a9bae.jpg

• Like 6

A stream of clouds flows above the village of Reeth.  Best viewed full screen, may take a moment to load.

Canon 6D MkII at 3.2s and iso 400.  Sigma 24mm at f3.5.  5s intervals played at 30fps.  LR, PS and VSDC.  Cheers, Paul.

Edited by clarkpm4242
  • Like 10

Not had that many nights with Noctilucent clouds this year, but I noticed some this evening/morning.

I thought I would try out my new Samyang 135mm F2 on the Canon EOS 2000D, ISO200 at 1s exposure (it's still quite light up here ;) ).

noc-13072021-0123.jpg.6c32b61bc06d572d22afaaa7e2d5b7c5.jpg

• Like 7

I really need to find a new location for taking my Noctilucent Cloud photos as mine are becoming a bit "samey", but I do like the Leeds cityscape and travelling further away when they are potentially showing is not always an option as they are so fleeting.

So as usual, I spotted these just as I was about to go to bed last night. Quickly grabbed all the bits needed, fleece, head torch, camera, lens, tripod and self-timer. Fleece and head torch being just as important even though it is middle of summer and still fairly warm, it is windy from where I usually image and as such you'd be lucky to last an hour without a fleece. Oh and the head torch is to avoid cow pats.

Taken at ~23:14 on 14th of July 2021.

The display was quite impressive, though I have seen better a few years ago.

A panorama of 11 portrait images taken with a Canon 5D Mark III and a Canon 70-200mm f/4 L IS lens. ISO800, 1", f/5. Stitched using Hugin.

Noctilucent Clouds Over Leeds - 13/07/2121 @ 23:14

Full resolution is below:

Noctilucent Clouds Over Leeds - 13/07/2121 @ 23:14

Short time-lapse:

Edited by StuartJPP
  • Like 9

Hi folks, my first time seeing and capturing a noctilucent cloud display, what a spectacular sight! Unfortunately I didn't have my tripod with me but I managed something halfway decent by balancing the DSLR on some rocks.

Image captured from Ballygally, County Antrim, looking out over the Irish Sea towards the Kintyre Peninsula in Scotland 00:10:15 13/07/2021. 

Canon 1100d with stock 18-55 mm lens at 27mm, f 4.0, 1.6s, ISO 1600. 

noctilucent_clouds_ballygally_13thJuly2021_2.jpg

• Like 13