Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sky @Night , Skye.

cotterless45

Decent pic latest issue. Shows Neist Point , most westerly point on Skye. Overlooking Moonen Bay , the Minch and the Outer Isles ( south Uist and the lighthouse beam have been taken out !)

This year is my 50 th year going up there . We fish below the lighthouse and enjoy pristine skies . As many will know , a remarkable place with nine dark sites,

careful now , Nick,IMG_0298.thumb.PNG.8d02d17dff45d6eac9826b5af88e5f24.PNG

• Like 7

1 hour ago, cotterless45 said:

Decent pic latest issue. Shows Neist Point , most westerly point on Skye. Overlooking Moonen Bay , the Minch and the Outer Isles ( south Uist and the lighthouse beam have been taken out !)

This year is my 50 th year going up there . We fish below the lighthouse and enjoy pristine skies . As many will know , a remarkable place with nine dark sites,

careful now , Nick,IMG_0298.thumb.PNG.8d02d17dff45d6eac9826b5af88e5f24.PNG

brilliant nick. what a place it is

• Like 1

Had a lot of family holidays via Skye onwards to the Isle of Raasay in the 70's. Quite a culture shock as kids coming from Blackpool, the first year we went, the Island had only got hooked up onto the national grid a few months earlier. Me and my brother were only interested in the fishing, which was excellent.

• Like 1

Been a few years since I was last on Skye.  Was watching a programme on the iPlayer this morning which to be honest put me off visiting anytime except out of season ,maybe October is best. Visit Scotland has just been too successful at what they do, what with that and the influence of  the movies (Outlander etc).  The last time I was there we walked along the Quiraing and pretty much were the only souls there; I hate to think what it is like in the summer now. 

Jim 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Spile said:

I can recommend the Stein Inn for its real ales, location and just about everything else! We stayed in the cottage at the top of the hill.

Love the Stein Inn  - good beer and a decent meal too.  Stayed a couple of cottages down, near the jetty a few times, a couple of years back. Took a 125mm scope and had one really good night, but rained out the rest of the week both times we stayed up there - still, washed the midges away!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, saac said:

Been a few years since I was last on Skye.  Was watching a programme on the iPlayer this morning which to be honest put me off visiting anytime except out of season ,maybe October is best. Visit Scotland has just been too successful at what they do, what with that and the influence of  the movies (Outlander etc).  The last time I was there we walked along the Quiraing and pretty much were the only souls there; I hate to think what it is like in the summer now. 

Jim 

Solid traffic I hear, the bridge to the island probably hasn’t helped. I’ve read plenty that makes me want to visit, but it’s need to be when there weren’t so many visitors (or midges... thanks for noting their presence)!

Peter

• Like 1

Got the issue although I've never been to Skye but had booked a cottage on the Isle of Arran last summer which didn't happen for obvious reasons. I was looking forward to the Bortle 1 skies, hopefully another opportunity will present itself soon. Stein Inn has been noted for future reference also. Last time I took my scope up to Scotland it was persistently cloudy. 

• Like 1

I love flying up there in my paramotor - had a close one with US airforce last time right enough.. but still - awesome scenery. It's where I named my puppy after 🙂

Last time I was up (2019) I had amazing weather - motorhome parked next to sea in a wee place all to myself, swimming in the sea in the evening, and flying over the Cullins during the day. cannae beat it. Wasn't into astronomy then so probably missed out on some great night skies.

Saying that, yer a lucky lucky man to get those conditions, rain, cloud and wind are more likely.

one of my movies if interested:

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 26/04/2021 at 19:22, powerlord said:

I love flying up there in my paramotor - had a close one with US airforce last time right enough.. but still - awesome scenery. It's where I named my puppy after 🙂

Last time I was up (2019) I had amazing weather - motorhome parked next to sea in a wee place all to myself, swimming in the sea in the evening, and flying over the Cullins during the day. cannae beat it. Wasn't into astronomy then so probably missed out on some great night skies.

Saying that, yer a lucky lucky man to get those conditions, rain, cloud and wind are more likely.

one of my movies if interested:

Stunning , what a wonderful thing. 

Jim

Beautiful pic. I was lucky enough to get 5 crystal clear, moonless nights near Portnaluchaig last autumn. Stunning beach location and B2...

It's a trip I will never forget. Also trekked for 7 hours up the fairly busy Ben Nevis summit trail. One of my best holiday. Seriously, that part of the UK is just jaw dropping. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MKHACHFE said:

Beautiful pic. I was lucky enough to get 5 crystal clear, moonless nights near Portnaluchaig last autumn. Stunning beach location and B2...

It's a trip I will never forget. Also trekked for 7 hours up the fairly busy Ben Nevis summit trail. One of my best holiday. Seriously, that part of the UK is just jaw dropping. 

it's a video - one of my favourite flights. agreed - North West is one of the most amazing scenery on earth imho. I'm kinda glad it's not more popular - it's the isolation as much as the scenery that makes it for me. Then Ben and around there is another favourite of mine to fly - probably getting off topic now.

• Like 2

As a Skye man born and bred (actually my main family history is on Rassay, my uncle even built one of the roads up there)  I can vouch for how dark the skies are. I remember as a kid playing football in the street with the milky way in all its glory above us and not even being a eyelid at how spectacular it was . Alas, I moved away before I got into astronomy and whenever I return home I end up losing the argument with the wife that the suitcase of clothes is more important to take up than the 12" DOB!!!

• 2 weeks later...