SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

2 minutes ago, Stardaze said:

That's a really good rendition, thank you. There may be an opportunity tonight after 10pm, so I might have to have a late walk and try to find a better vantage point. The rest of the week currently, doesn't look that favourable so the clock is ticking.

Thank you. I’ve been able to pick it up in my 10x50 bins so going for a walk with bins or a small scope is a good plan!

48 minutes ago, Littleguy80 said:

Thank you. I’ve been able to pick it up in my 10x50 bins so going for a walk with bins or a small scope is a good plan!

I wasn't far away with my 10x50's last night, but so low in the sky, with small snippets in the cloud and a tree to contend with, it wasn't obvious. Typically the sky is more pollutes looking north too. If the clouds play ball, I'll take the bins for a walk. 

How long have others typically lasted? 

Edited by Stardaze

Here is my cleaned up version. 

Scope WO ZS103

Camera ZWO ASI183MM Pro with Ha filter only -  7 x 360 second subs.

Processed in PixInsight and PS

M52 can be seen on the right hand side and some faint Ha from the Bubble Nebula can be seen creeping in at the bottom.

Nova_Cas_2021.thumb.PNG.60f4c80f8aed3f5c11ded47a56ce839d.PNG

Edited by TerryMcK
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, TerryMcK said:

Here is my cleaned up version. 

Scope WO ZS103

Camera ZWO ASI183MM in Ha only -  7 x 360 second subs.

Processed in PixInsight and PS

Nova_Cas_2021.thumb.PNG.60f4c80f8aed3f5c11ded47a56ce839d.PNG

Got the edge of the Bubble Nebula, too.

• Like 1

Just viewed it in the 12”. Conditions pretty poor here, no sign of M52 at low power. I would say same brightness as before, although variations in the thickness of the high haze could be deceiving. I star hopped from Caph using the 40mm eyepiece and good old SkySafari to get me there as not much was showing in the finder.

• Like 3

Had to drive around to chase a break in the clouds, but I finally succeeded in observing the nova again just now for the first time since Friday. To me, the nova looked about the same brightness as during my earlier observation. Not the brightest star in the field, but unmistakable in my binoculars.

• Like 2

Here’s a 500 Sec image I took last night with my Tak FS 60 and SXVF-H9 CCD. I was using a V filter as I was doing photometry (it was mag V = 8.0). M52 at top and you can just make out the Bubble Nebula on the right hand side (nit helped by the light attenuation from the filter)

0C5765BC-F040-4E35-A405-732FE282BFA8.png.b3b8e3e93e347d38958d23c0314f9cb5.png

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

My quick attempt just before the clouds rolled in this evening. Using my portable rig on the lawn which wasn't PA'd very well at all, hence the slight distortion in the stars.

N_CASS_2021.png.d699e2473adf96bb5b72d8c076eb020c.png

• Like 5

2 hours ago, 7170 said:

I've just measured it at mag 7.8 (just using ASTAP - so will have to do better later), what are others measuring it as now out of interest?

I'll go with mag 7.8 as well. It seems to have been stable at that for the past 3 nights.

• Thanks 1

A lot of folk were moaning about Clear Outside being inaccurate yesterday as they had clear skies and it was showing red. I went outside and although I could see stars, the moon was surrounded by haze so I didn't even bother setting up. So for me Clear Outside was spot on.

50 minutes ago, Spile said:

A lot of folk were moaning about Clear Outside being inaccurate yesterday as they had clear skies and it was showing red. I went outside and although I could see stars, the moon was surrounded by haze so I didn't even bother setting up. So for me Clear Outside was spot on.

The Moon was actually looking fantastic last night, best observing I’ve had for quite a while, plus I observed the nova again. Skies were not very transparent but the seeing was pretty good.

• Like 1

Clear outside has been a bit more miss, than hit for me this last week.

The southern view has been better here than the north again tonight, so still struggling. It’s just too low on the horizon for me it seems. Quite a frustrating band of low cloud last night spoilt the view. So close, I could see M52 at one point. 

Annoyingly it was hidden behind a tree by the time I tried for this in the scope. I set up without considering how low it would be. I tried with 8x42 binos but I could only see the rhombus of stars and HD220819 at mag 6.6 and HD220057 at 6.9. It is in the direction of London from here, where the sky is at its worst for me unfortunately, so it looks like it’s a scope only target from here.

• Like 1

Don't think I'm going to be able to see it from home, it disappears behind rooftops as soon as its dark then creeps along the horizon, maybe be able to see it before sunrise if it's high enough meanwhile been looking for Comet Leonard hiding in Ursa Major with some fuzzy galaxies that look like comets 😂

Dave

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Davey-T said:

with some fuzzy galaxies that look like comets 😂

Maybe you could catalogue them so you don't confuse them with comets anymore 🤔. Hmm, I wonder why no one else has thought of that before. Brilliant idea. 😋

• Haha 3

Think I managed to clock this in the 15x bins tonight thanks to all the maps posted in here. Located 4 Cas which is handily placed and hopped to HD228019.

Closely to the right there’s a definite point of light. I’d say it was somewhere between mag 7.2 HD220167 and mag 7.8 HD220770, closer to the mag 7.8 end of the range.

Really pushing the limits of my eyesight with the moon’s brightness! Incredibly cool though.

• Like 2

Saw it again tonight. Lovely clear skies after an earlier shower.

First in the 10x50 bins. Faint but clearer than yesterday.

In the ST80 it certainly looked the same as before. If the nova's magnitude has changed, it's subtle and beyond my ability to determine. M52 was just visible, too. That's the first time I've seen it. 

Edited by Pixies
  • Like 3