SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

19 hours ago, SiriusDoggy said:

I'm sure it's in there somewhere...From December.

Yes I think you have it ! Nice one.

absmall.jpg.7e6ab73f61f0198d6b58d0c65683c17c.jpg

A blink of it with Stellarium (I have all its 8 cats and you have recorded loads more stars !) The bright one upper right corner is HIP115566

3.gif.7066767c7824c9205d64fbef4bc1e7aa.gif

Edited by Corncrake
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Managed to get another shot at it, between the showers and cloud. I'm enjoying this 'grab and go' setup.

To my eyes, it's fainter than it was 2 nights ago - but it appears a very similar brightness as HD220770 (which is 7.8)

• Like 2

9 hours ago, SiriusDoggy said:

Here's my blink. My original image blinked with the image from Sky & Telescope showing the position of the nova. I'm hoping to capture it later tonight.

i-hKkxqCK-X3.gif

That is actually a great little finder which I will use on monday all being well. I have the coords and will use my eqm35 to get me too it, cheers.

I managed to image the nova last night so here's a blink with all of my original data from 05/12/2020 and last night, 28/03/2021.

Nova V1405 in Cassiopeia. My previous image, taken 12/05/2020 was 5400 seconds of Ha data - 30x 180second exposures.
It was taken during a new moon from a dark location. I knew last night's image would not be a perfect match since it was taken from a Bortle 6 location with a nearly full moon, but it did allow me the opportunity to match the framing and exposure time enough that it makes the nova really stand out in this blink.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by SiriusDoggy
  • Like 11

3 minutes ago, SiriusDoggy said:

I managed to image the nova last night so here's a blink with all of my original data from 05/12/2020 and last night, 28/03/2021.

Nova V1405 in Cassiopeia. My previous image, taken 12/05/2020 was 5400 seconds of Ha data - 30x 180second exposures.
It was taken during a new moon from a dark location. I knew last night's image would not be a perfect match since it was taken from a Bortle 6 location with a nearly full moon, but it did allow me the opportunity to match the framing and exposure time enough that it makes the nova really stand out in this blink.

spacer.png

spacer.png

That’s ace. Really nice work, especially given the tricky imaging conditions. Thanks for sharing :) 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, John said:

Should be able to have a peek at this again later. Nice clear evening here :smiley:

Same here John, looks like it should be a good night. The Jetstream is elsewhere too so seeing might be reasonable, we will see!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Same here John, looks like it should be a good night. The Jetstream is elsewhere too so seeing might be reasonable, we will see!

I've just split Sirius reasonably easily with my ED120 at 225x = the seeing is GOOD :smiley:

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Time for the Tak FC 100, John?

Not tonight Jeremy. Monday night is ED120 night :smiley:

Just had a look at the Nova V1405 Cas with the ED120. I think it has dimmed very slightly. It's still brighter than the nearby mag 9.0 star but not quite to the extent it was when I last observed it. The latest AAVSO visual report says mag 8.0 which seems reasonable.

• Like 3

Had a crack at using the old 15x70 mounted on a monopod. Looking at these finders I’d say I saw it. The other nearby star is still about a magnitude fainter... invisible with the sky brightness and moonlight. Not everyday you get to see a Nova.

Peter

• Like 4

Caught it in the Tak and the 12” dob tonight. Looking pretty similar to my eye, perhaps a smidge dimmer than before. I tried defocusing until it disappeared, which it seemed to do just before HD220770.

• Like 5

Last night was a game of 2 halves. I set up and got clouded out while calibrating guiding. 

I hung on and was rewarded with clear but Moon washed skies in the early hours. I got 10 x 120 sec with my mighty Mak127. I ran the resulting image through ASTAP which usually gives sensible magnitudes but I think the eggy stars from this scope/camera combo threw it off the scent! :)  No calibration/flats. I'm too lazy.

So my technical appraisal is that Nova Cas 2021 is still nice and bright.

1249245983_NovaCasASTAP.thumb.jpg.387c6ffc11f32bb183d118fcb82adef9.jpg

Edited by Paul M
  • Like 6

I put the 250PDS back on the mount late afternoon and got it all wired up ready, dew heaters running because it looked like the air was humid. Promising sky until dusk. Then high thin cloud over most of the sky but thickening all the time. So broke it all down and brought it in. No chance yet again :(

Managed to get another shot at it last night, between the showers and cloud. I'm enjoying this 'grab and go' setup.

To my eyes, it was fainter than it was at the weekend.

Tonight, though: high hazy cloud, poor seeing and a cloud bank to the north. Zero chance.

Last night I packed up a small scope and mount and walked about a kilometre to a spot where I could have a go at this nova.

I had checked the forecasts but by the time I got there it was solid cloud so I turned around and went home.

At least I got some exercise carrying my gear!

• Sad 5

Managed another look tonight. First clear sky for more than a week and it certainly was dimmer than my last view. Estimated it at 8.3 but seeing was not that good even though the transparency was very good.

• Like 2

Had a look in the 8" dob and thought it looked no brighter than HD220770 (mag 7.8).

After a session, I had a final look in my bins, and even though I could make out M52, I could hardly see the nova. Definitely dimmer than last weekend.

• Like 1