SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

News in from Kato-san at vsnet overnight that V1405 Cas might be brightening.  Several observers in Japan reported vis or V=7.4 on Apr. 26. He notes "The nova before this brightening was apparently in "premaximum halt" ".

Time will tell - further observations encouraged!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5

On 28/04/2021 at 09:06, JeremyS said:

News in from Kato-san at vsnet overnight that V1405 Cas might be brightening.  Several observers in Japan reported vis or V=7.4 on Apr. 26. He notes "The nova before this brightening was apparently in "premaximum halt" ".

Time will tell - further observations encouraged!

I managed to have a quick look at the nova just now with my 4 inch refractor, though a convenient cloud gap (there have not been too many tonight :rolleyes2:) and it still seems to be around the same brightness, maybe a touch brighter, certainly no dimmer than the last time I observed it.

Edited by John
  • Like 1

We're certainly getting value for money from this nova!

I was actually going over some of my images of it today, trying to prefect the photometry facility in ASTAP. My last mag value was over 9 but for some reason (me!) that was miles out!

Hopefully I will get another go at this before the N sky is lost to twilight.

• Like 1

Just observing this nova now with the 12 inch dob.

Definitely brighter now. Not far off the brightness of nearby mag 6.7 star SAO 20626. Around mag 7 I'd say. Easily visible in the 50mm finder.

Edited by John
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, John said:

Just observing this nova now with the 12 inch dob.

Definitely brighter now. Not far off the brightness of nearby mag 6.7 star SAO 20626. Around mag 7 I'd say. Easily visible in the 50mm finder.

And not too difficult with 8x30 binoculars, when you know where to look :smiley:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, John said:

And not too difficult with 8x30 binoculars, when you know where to look :smiley:

I was trying to find an ‘Au contraire Blackadder’ clip to post, but realised it wasn’t necessarily suitable for family friendly SGL! 🤣🤣

So far I’ve not found it possible in binoculars from here (8x42s) due to light pollution - it’s in the direction of London from here so not good. I’ll try again now it has brightened a bit though.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, IB20 said:

Wow, this got super visible! I’d say it’s looking brighter than HD220819 which SkySafari has at mag 6.6.

Yes, I thought it was very close to that stars brightness last night (I think HD220819 is the same as SAO 20626).

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, IB20 said:

Wow, this got super visible! I’d say it’s looking brighter than HD220819 which SkySafari has at mag 6.6.

Agree. Just now looked. Definitely the brightest I’ve seen it. Very obvious even in the 9x50 finder. 

Very cloudy here - no chance to see anything astro-wise.

Hope others get a look at it. I wonder how bright it will get ?

@JeremyS said earlier in the thread that the previous brightness plateau was thought to be a "premaximum halt" phase so is this the final surge of brightening ?.

Time and observation will tell :smiley:

Edited by John

9 minutes ago, John said:

Very cloudy here - no chance to see anything astro-wise.

Hope others get a look at it. I wonder how bright it will get ?

@JeremyS said earlier in the thread that the previous brightness plateau was thought to be a "premaximum halt" phase so is this the final surge of brightening ?.

Time and observation will tell :smiley:

Could be, John. I’ve seen a handful of obs this evening that have it at mag 6.0 or brighter.

As you say: keep observing!

Edited by JeremyS
  • Like 1

Saw it tonight. Despite the formal lack of astro darkness, which only ended a few days ago, the sky was as dark as it normally gets here (all 7 main stars of Ursa Minor visible). M52 as clear as I've seen it from here.

The Nova is the brightest I've seen it. Easily as bright as HD220819 (as @IB20 observed)

• Like 1