NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Absolute Beginner & Excited!

varius21

Hi everyone,

I am ecstatic to be here as I am looking forward to learning about stars and galaxies and how to get a tiny glimpse with my new scope.

Last night, after a lot of research I purchased Skywatcher Skyline 8" Dobsonian. Tomorrow it will arrive!
At first I was looking at 6" but then decided to stretch my budget for the 8" as I've read that there is a huge difference in between them. If 8" was the primary target I'd go for the 10" in the end, and so on because that's just the way I am. I always go for the version better of whatever I am interested in so I don't end up having any regrets soon. I never regret doing/buying something, I only regret not buying the better one, so I am careful! :D

I am from Greece but I live in the light polluted Derbyshire of the UK.

I have not purchased any extra eyepieces or filters and I will seek advice from you on other threads as this is a welcome one :D

Anyway, I hope to learn a lot from you and have great conversations! :)

Vasilis

• Like 3

Welcome. Your choice of scope is a good choice. 👍

My advice is to use it and the eyepiece(s) that come with it before rushing to buy anything else. Read and learn about the sky and gain experience with the equipment you have. If you search on this forum you will find plenty of advice and, in particular, the ‘pinned’ post about ‘What you can expect to see’. There is a vast difference between photos in glossy magazines and what you will actually see.

Most important is to have fun on the learning curve. 🙂

• Like 2

Welcome! I would say you made a great choice of scope, you’ve obviously done your research here on SGL. My advice to you would be that you don’t get too caught up in worrying about the next bigger scope. Enjoy what you have, it will provide years of fun, it won’t be your last but it is a great scope which will carry you for a long time.

have fun and clear skies!

• Like 2

Hi Vasilis, a very warm welcome from me too, that's agreat telescope you have there, one of the best, you will not be dissappointed.  There's always plenty of time to buy extra items, but instead get used to using the scope and the eyepieces that come with it.  Good luck and clear skies!

• Like 2

Thank you all very much :) I'm definitely not buying another one for a long time and I have a feeling I will love stargazing with this one as I have realistic expectations. I also have a feeling that I will be spending a lot of money in the future for eyepieces and filters ahaha :D we'll see.

Mike, if you hadn't mentioned this tool I wouldn't have known I needed it. Thank you! :) 

• Like 2

Just now, varius21 said:

Thank you all very much :) I'm definitely not buying another one for a long time and I have a feeling I will love stargazing with this one as I have realistic expectations. I also have a feeling that I will be spending a lot of money in the future for eyepieces and filters ahaha :D we'll see.

Mike, if you hadn't mentioned this tool I wouldn't have known I needed it. Thank you! :) 

hi varius, thats what we are here for. ask away matey

• Like 1

Welcome aboard SGL Vasilis, good to have you with us. Love the enthusiasm!

Nice choice of scope, you'll see a lot with that. It's a good balance between a lot of light-gathering ability, but still portable. Go much bigger and they can be a little unwieldy, which sometimes means the difference between setting up and using it on a cold night, or sitting in front of a warm tv. 🙂

If you get clear skies you'll have a happy Christmas!

• Like 1

Welcome Vasilis !

Greece / Derbyshire , hardly any difference at all there 😀

I think you are wise not jumping in to buy eyepieces etc before you have actually got used to your telescope, a great choice to go for a dob as big as possible, , hope the sky clears for you !

Heather

• Like 2