Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Phobos and Deimos at last!

lukebl

Hi all,

These aren't pretty images. In fact, they're pretty awful! But at least they show both of Mars's moons Phobos and Deimos, which I've always wanted to capture.

I noticed that tonight they were simultaneously at greatest elongation at around 7:30 GMT, so that I could potentially capture them at the same time. Phobos is so close to Mars, and orbits so fast, that it's usually engulfed by the glare from the planet.

I captured these with my planetary imaging camera ZWO ASI290 Mono Mini and my 8" f/8 Ritchey-Chretien, plus 3x Televue Barlow, using Firecapture, 600 frames, 150ms exposures stacked in Registax and highly stretched. I was surprised that it was possible to capture such tiny faint objects (Phobos at mag 12.0 and Deimos at mag 13.0)  with a basic planetary cam and shortish exposures, especially with Mars so overexposed.

Like I said, not very pretty, but I feel I've achieved something, especially in high winds and bad seeing.

Basic image:

50561321942_c6c04cb994_c.jpg

Labelled:

50561385597_06a2321dfd_c.jpg

Including quick image of normally exposed Mars for proper scale:

50561257136_03ff535dc1_c.jpg

Screen grab from Sky Safari at the same time:

50560452228_42f14f52d5_c.jpg

Edited by lukebl
  • Like 36

Excellent!

I enjoy burning out planets to pick out their moons. It better suits my imaging skills :) I hope to have a go at Mars before it's too late this apparition.

I tried for the 5 primary moons of Uranus recently but failed to bag Miranda. But it's mag 16 and never far from Uranus. Will try again if the rain ever stops here.

Many thanks for the positive feedback folks

5 hours ago, Paul M said:

....I enjoy burning out planets to pick out their moons. It better suits my imaging skills :) I hope to have a go at Mars before it's too late this apparition.....

Tonight's a good opportunity. They're both at greatest elongation (this time on the same side of the planet) at around 22:00 GMT.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lukebl said:

Tonight's a good opportunity. They're both at greatest elongation (this time on the same side of the planet) at around 22:00 GMT.

Would have, could have, should have. Unfortunately I'v just been asked to save the Universe by my employer so I've got a night shift to do :(  and I'm on my 18 day shift break (holidays).

I'll be based at an underground facility right on the sea front on Central Promenade in Blackpool, in the thick of the Illuminations  (such as they are  this year) so can't even take a scope for a sneaky look later! 

They pay good overtime though...

Nice images. Nice to have caught phobos, every time I get the chance to observe it always seems to be poorly placed. Deimos is surprisingly easy with a imaging device when its at its greatest elongation and its current distance to earth. Rather cool to sit and see it in more or less real time when you consider its tiny size of around 10 miles or so.

Edited by skyhog
spelling!