NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Show Us Your StellaLyra Scope

There seem to be some significant extensions to the rear on some of these setup photos.  I would have thought that the usual caveats regarding correction on Cassegrains when far from the design optimum would apply also to this model?      🙂

19 minutes ago, Peter Drew said:

There seem to be some significant extensions to the rear on some of these setup photos.  I would have thought that the usual caveats regarding correction on Cassegrains when far from the design optimum would apply also to this model?      🙂

Primary mirror is fixed with this model at correct distance and generous back focus is just feature of these scopes to allow for variety of attachments (2" diagonal, field flatteners and reducers, oags, filter wheels and so on).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

Primary mirror is fixed with this model at correct distance and generous back focus is just feature of these scopes to allow for variety of attachments (2" diagonal, field flatteners and reducers, oags, filter wheels and so on).

Beat me to it. 😁

Must type faster. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

First light, sort of, with the CC6.

Wall to wall cloud last night but cleared up a bit earlier this morning. The only thing visable was Mars but thin cloud and unsteady seeing didn’t make for good views. Still better than nothing. For a couple of seconds at a time seeing would steady but then gone again. Just long enugh to start seeing some detail but frustratingly not long enough to see anything properly.

Still promising for the odd second here and there. 

• Thanks 1

I am hopeful to purchase this scope and use on my AZ5 which has the heavier metal tripod. The current position of the finderscope bracket would place the RDF at a frustrating position. I assume there are screw holes on the other side of the OTA to enable the bracket to be moved. Can someone confirm this?

Also grabbed a quick first light with the 8 yesterday morning. Conditions were pretty awful though with poor seeing and lots of moisture. Mars was low to the west by this point so not a fair test really but did manage to see some surface detail in the few moments of clarity. A good practice run though and confirmed things like the focuser can cope with the weight of binoviewers etc, so not a waste of time. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 14/10/2020 at 16:24, Peter Drew said:

There should be 230mm from the back of the OTA to the sensor

Baader Diamond Steeltrack arrived for the CC6. 🙂

My CC8 has the older Steeltrack that fits without any focuser extensions. The new Diamond  Steeltrack has a slightly larger diameter drawtube that doesn’t fit into the rear opening on the CC8 so will require a 35mm extension. The scope only comes with 25mm and 50mm ones though. Telescope Express sells a 15mm extenstion that with the stock 25mm extenstion would give the 35mm.

The 6” has a smaller opening so the older Steeltrack won’t fit without the 50mm extension.

365F0C3D-09D3-463D-B4BE-640544DE81EA.jpeg

108F3FEE-DBA7-49BA-B301-7D2A0F17E734.jpeg

6B308D78-56D2-4D24-B13B-4B7D3CEE0824.jpeg

84A31891-A64E-48B0-93C9-56942F016698.jpeg

76AEB5FB-1CE6-466D-8902-4CCF329007A4.jpeg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, johninderby said:

Philately, Numismatics or even train spotting. 🤔😁

Reminds me there is something worse than train spotting. I am reliably informed that there are creatures known as Bus Spotters out there. 🙀🙀🙀

Bus spotters always come in threes

• Haha 3

It’s been handled. 😁

ADM radius blocks and a WDS Ltd tube handle. Bought a handle with 400mm bolt centers and shortened it by 55mm as the bolt centers between the radius blocks is 345mm. WDS do the nandle with 350mm bolt centers but I bought the handle before the radius blocks arrived and didn’t want to end up with a handle that was just a bit short. The radius blocks have M5 threaded bolt holes in the center which I drilled and tapped out to M6. The WDS handle comes with M8 bolts but I wanted to use smaller M6 bolts so used some M8 to M6 shoulder washers under the bolt heads.

It’s now much easier to carry the scope as it can be done one handed and fitting it to the mount is also easier using one hand to hold thescope and the other to tighten the saddle clamp knob. 🙂

7808CF8C-6CFC-4F9B-BABC-FDDD12EA6126.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, johninderby said:

It’s been handled. 😁

ADM radius blocks and a WDS Ltd tube handle. Bought a handle with 400mm bolt centers and shortened it by 55mm as the bolt centers between the radius blocks is 345mm. WDS do the nandle with 350mm bolt centers but I bought the handle before the radius blocks arrived and didn’t want to end up with a handle that was just a bit short. The radius blocks have M5 threaded bolt holes in the center which I drilled and tapped out to M6. The WDS handle comes with M8 bolts but I wanted to use smaller M6 bolts so used some M8 to M6 shoulder washers under the bolt heads.

It’s now much easier to carry the scope as it can be done one handed and fitting it to the mount is also easier using one hand to hold thescope and the other to tighten the saddle clamp knob. 🙂

7808CF8C-6CFC-4F9B-BABC-FDDD12EA6126.jpeg

Phew, glad to hear it John. Was getting a bit worried about lack of handle

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1