Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Storing a long refractor on its mount

HollyHound

This may seem a silly question, but now that I've decided to use my StellaMira 80mm f/10 on the ScopeTech Zero mount as a grab and go setup, is there any reason why I shouldn't leave it setup mounted in my office, with covers, a diagonal and an eyepiece in place, rather than put it back into it's storage case ?

I don't intend to actually carry it outside like this, so will remove and re-attach once moved, as I'm aware of the dangers of moving a long refractor and the potential for damage in transit. Although I have moved a lighter tripod, AZ5 and C5 in and out like this.

Thanks

Gary

Not a silly question, and no reason at all why you shouldn't do this.

I routinely leave my Tak set up as you describe, with all lens covers in place of course, and mine is also covered with a clean dust sheet..:thumbsup:

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My scopes generally stay set up where they are parked in the conservatory, more convenient rather than storing the OTA separate and having a kitty knock them over. They're 1M OTA's but are on heavier mounts, but if balanced ok and not likely to get knocked I guess it should be fine.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

Not a silly question, and no reason at all why you shouldn't do this.

I routinely leave my Tak set up as you describe, with all lens covers in place of course, and mine is also covered with a clean dust sheet..:thumbsup:

Dave

Dave, if I had a Tak FS128 set up in my office, I’d never get any work done! 🙂

• Haha 5

4 minutes ago, KevS said:

Sounds somewhat familiar.

I sympathise Kev.  Experience has taught me that the 72ED can stay out longer than the 120ED before it's noticed.

I just dont know what I'm going to do if I ever buy the 150ED - a camoflage net perhaps?   🤔

• Haha 4

17 minutes ago, paulastro said:

I often leave one of my refactors set up on a mount in the lounge - until my wife tells me I have to put it away somewhere out of sight 😥.

I think this is familiar territory for many of us Paul.
I found the way to stop complaint about the scope was to make them plural..... oh and then the dob for good measure.
That elicited an evening of discussion about my use of the Dining Room, apparently it's not my astronomy room after all 😉

So I did the best thing and said 'yes dear'

• Haha 5

At some point I expect Mrs Stu to try to wrap one or both of these around my head if they don’t move soon. 🤣🤣

To the OPs question, I frequently leave scopes setup on mounts, ready to carry out, sometimes outside under cover if there is a run of good nights, so indoors is perfectly fine if it has its caps on.

AC37A225-DB1D-4ED8-9814-1B47BFDE1B02.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I managed to leave mine set up for about 6 weeks before Mr Bomberbaz put her foot down and instructed me to take it down. I acquiesced to her demands.

However shortly afterwards she was pushing her luck when she asked me about shifting all the cases of gear from it´s current home behind the sofa to into a cold garage. Oh no no no, that´s not happening.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

My 4" lives on the mount and tripod in the conservatory ready for a quick lift into the garden. My wife actually enjoys having it where it is. It isn't at the moment Gary as you well know, it is mountless .....:icon_sad:

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Stu said:

At some point I expect Mrs Stu to try to wrap one or both of these around my head if they don’t move soon. 🤣🤣

To the OPs question, I frequently leave scopes setup on mounts, ready to carry out, sometimes outside under cover if there is a run of good nights, so indoors is perfectly fine if it has its caps on.

Just as long as she’s not measuring up that box for you, Stu 🙂

• Haha 4

Thanks to all.

I'm glad it's not unusual to leave a long scope mounted and ready to go, as I was testing the new mount in the office today, I thought that it looked like it belonged in the corner rather than packed away in its case.

Actually, years ago when I started to learn to play guitar, I rented an office and was working long hours and some weekends. A friend suggested taking the guitar into the office and making sure it stayed out of its case, so that it would actually get played. I ended up with the acoustic and electric on wall stands, so that every few hours I'd just pick them up, play them and hang them back up again, as a result I learnt faster. Everyone that came into the office commented how good they looked on the walls too 😀

I have solved the problem of multiple telescopes and mounts... I gave up a section of my home office to sewing area, bought my partner a new sewing machine and then the room became a "craft" room... problem solved 🤣 Actually, she did comment positively about "the nice telescope on the wooden stand" earlier, so looks like it's staying 👍

No idea what she's going to say about the Mak 150 I've just bought... arriving next week 😬🤞🤣

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, KevS said:

I would not mind, but since I gave up full time work my office/lab has slowly but inexorably become the sewing room, where I am now persona non grata; I feel a shed coming on. 

I know where you are coming from as was discussing a shed with the other half but it is very limited what Astro gear I would be prepared to put out there, probably only my skytee mount and tripod if I am honest. 

Edited by bomberbaz
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Stu said:

At some point I expect Mrs Stu to try to wrap one or both of these around my head if they don’t move soon. 🤣

Stu,  what's wrong with your having a low slung traditional wood storage cabinet (clearly designed to hold Crockery and China etc), and a very useful length of white drainpipe (in case of sudden outside downpour damage resulting in the need for a fast repair) kept handy in the house?

Sounds very reasonable to me?😇 :icon_scratch:

Dave

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

My refractors have to come off their mounts otherwise our dining room would look like Ed Tings:

cover3Small.jpg

Personally I would be fine with that (except perhaps the Bear ?) but there are two of us living here so I have to compromise, a bit.

Fortunately where I observe is just a few paces away from where the scopes and mounts are so its just a minute or two to get one outside and setup :smiley:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Alan White said:

So I have plenty more room going by Ed Tings collection 😀😃😆

True, but if I were him I’d whittle it down to that lovely Tak FS (102?) on the floor.

• Like 2