Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello !

sputniksteve

Hi there everyone. I'm quite excited to be joining the forums here. 

So, I'm wanting to get back into the hobby after a few years away from it. Very much a novice. 

I used to own a 12" Lightbridge. I loved that 'scope! But when the children came along, it ended up taking up space in the garage and not being used. Then, in 2014 I .... sold it. This was a Very Silly Thing to do and I blame the post cardiac arrest brain damage for doing it. 

I've also got a 6' mirror set that I intend, some day, to turn into a dobsonian. 

But for now, I'm looking at something small an portable, but powerful enough for good views and maybe some basic astrophotography. Thinking of the 127 Maks - SW or Celestron - or maybe a C6 in some guise or other if I can persuade the boss that it's money well spent! 

Anyhoo. Hi. 🙂

1 hour ago, sputniksteve said:

But for now, I'm looking at something small an portable, but powerful enough for good views and maybe some basic astrophotography. Thinking of the 127 Maks - SW or Celestron - or maybe a C6 in some guise or other if I can persuade the boss that it's money well spent! 

YeeHaw and Howdy from Texas! 🤠

The 127 Maks make good travel scopes because they don't take up much space and hold collimation extremely well.  If you check the classifieds, you can probably find one used for a fraction of the new price in excellent condition.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Greymouser said:

Hello and welcome to a great forum. Don't rule out a C5 either, similar price to the C6 but even lighter and usable as a spotting scope on a photographic tripod. :smiley:

HI Greymouser - yes I've got this on my list too! It looks like this is only available as an Astro Fi or as SLT. So I guess then we're in to the age old debate of Mak v SCT. 🤔