NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Solarscope SF70DS arrived

Why has summer suddenly ended in the UK? Because I’ve just taken delivery of a new solar set up.  My apologies to everyone on the forum.
I’d been looking for an upgrade from my Lunt LS60DS, but had hesitated about the Lunt 80 because of reports about bright haloes in DS mode, and the Coronado 90 is way too large and heavy unfortunately. I’d never even considered Isle of Man-based Solarscope, a company with a reputation for producing the best ha filters (at least on a par with pre-Meade Coronado), because I thought they were well out of my league. But having exchanged a couple of emails with the owner, Helmut, it appeared the very high prices advertised in Germany, Italy, the US and elsewhere didn’t apply here in the UK. I was surprised that a double stack 70mm package was not much more than the Lunt 80 model I was considering. So, after a work bonus (and ahead of a substantial astro gear sell off) I put in an order. They arrived yesterday.
The fit and finish is perfect, as expected. The filters screw into a lovely adapter which in turn screws into the front of my TV85 with the dew shield retracted. It is literally as if they are part of the original scope. There are two blocking filters supplied - one for single stack, and a brighter one for double stack - aperture 20mm, so a nice wide field for binoviewing, and in the future, imaging. The etalons are tilt tuned and 70mm unobstructed. 
I only had ten minutes of observing time yesterday, so too early to report any conclusions. But the main prominence stood out bright and sharp, and the solar surface was covered with fine detail, despite the lack of activity. It was dimmer than my Lunt 60, although I’ve not yet fully tinkered with the tuning, and I couldn’t bring my binoviewer to focus - the new blocking filters add 35mm to the light path. Now have lots of cloudy days to find the right barlow combination. Will post an observing report when the sun returns.....

1B5A85B5-FE47-4B31-B341-3AC620A81A5B.jpeg

AF3B2D1D-544B-4F4D-9575-56BED7266F17.jpeg

10427866-52CE-4770-9446-C0C911BC2B8E.jpeg

2FF77A16-372D-4CFE-A9AF-1D0BDFC1C4B4.jpeg

• Like 11

19 minutes ago, richard ashbee said:

Looks great how long have you been waiting?

About 4-5 weeks Richard. At each stage Helmut emailed me on progress as the filters were built, and when he personally went out to test them. Amazing operation. Part of Manx Precision Optics, which bought Solarscope a couple of years ago, when the chap who’d been building all these amazing filters for many years, Ken Huggett, retired. Still very much personal service. 

• Like 2

That is a fine looking solar scope, so basically you let them know what scope you are fitting the filters on and they custom make them so they screw on?. This makes it a modular telescope correct?. If this is correct, I can assume that having one made for my 115mm refractor would be an arm and a leg I bet.

Edited by Sunshine
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Sunshine said:

That is a fine looking solar scope, so basically you let them know what scope you are fitting the filters on and they custom make them so they screw on?. This makes it a modular telescope correct?. If this is correct, I can assume that having one made for my 115mm refractor would be an arm and a leg I bet.

Yes that’s correct. The advantage of TV scopes is the objective cell is strong and threaded, so they’re often used for Solarscope filters. There’s a dedicated guide to what’s available on the Company Seven website in the States - must say the prices outside of the U.K. are very high indeed.

1 hour ago, JeremyS said:

Fine looking setup @Highburymark. Congrats!

Did you purchase directly from Solarscope? I couldn't see any prices on their website - or is it a case of "if you have to ask the price you can't afford it"? 🙂

Thanks Jeremy. Yes - bought direct. Still, far from cheap, but then look at the price of a Lunt LS80DS, with larger blocking filter and decent focuser. Then the polariser mod which fixes the glare issue. And the dedicated Lunt scopes are about to be replaced by modular models costing more.....
Yet also must consider usage. I probably do twice as much solar observing as night time. Basically every clear day throughout the year when I’m able. 
The best value large solar scope on sale until recently has been the outgoing Solarmax II 90mm - there might even be a few left in Germany at sale prices. Nice scope, and the aperture is very tempting, but it’s a beast.

Lovely!!!  I've had loads of fun and value from my single stack 70mm - but I've probably enjoyed even more being able to show other people!  ( @Stu, @James, hundreds of kids, people at science festivals...)

I bought mine from Ken at IAS when they had a special show discount, so effectively got a 70mm filter for the price of a 60mm from a retailer.  When the views deteriorated I sent it back to Helmut - turned out just a blocking filter problem (the bf protection filter issue which seems common to all solar systems over time) and had great service from Helmut and his team.

I'm interested to see your double stack shots (although it could prove expensive!!!!)

Enjoy!

Helen

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Helen said:

Lovely!!!  I've had loads of fun and value from my single stack 70mm - but I've probably enjoyed even more being able to show other people!  ( @Stu, @James, hundreds of kids, people at science festivals...)

I bought mine from Ken at IAS when they had a special show discount, so effectively got a 70mm filter for the price of a 60mm from a retailer.  When the views deteriorated I sent it back to Helmut - turned out just a blocking filter problem (the bf protection filter issue which seems common to all solar systems over time) and had great service from Helmut and his team.

I'm interested to see your double stack shots (although it could prove expensive!!!!)

Enjoy!

Helen

Thanks Helen. Interesting about the blocking filter. Also nice to know there’s ready support in this country, as had to send my Lunt 50 back to Germany when that required attention.

12 hours ago, JeremyS said:

Fine looking setup @Highburymark. Congrats!

Did you purchase directly from Solarscope? I couldn't see any prices on their website - or is it a case of "if you have to ask the price you can't afford it"? 🙂

I've a pretty good idea what these cost Jeremy and you languishing in your stately home 

I'm sure could 😎

Having the choice of 2 ... 20mm BFs Mark is just incredible & unsurpassed !

Brian

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Highburymark said:

What’s unsurpassed is the SF100DS - the largest unobstructed solar filters on the market!  Or the 0.3A Solar Spectrum and Daystar Quantum PE filters. Lots of options to go well beyond this. 

I agree that the SF100s are bigger but not better , it's obviously down to what you can 

afford / handle / seeing ect.

As for the highest end solid etalon offerings ... imho there's a difference between 

viewing with them and the greatest of finesse air spaced etalons and I would always 

choose the latter  .... however for imaging the former would have advantages.

Brian 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Solar B said:

I agree that the SF100s are bigger but not better , it's obviously down to what you can 

afford / handle / seeing ect.

As for the highest end solid etalon offerings ... imho there's a difference between 

viewing with them and the greatest of finesse air spaced etalons and I would always 

choose the latter  .... however for imaging the former would have advantages.

Brian 

Agree Brian. I’ve only experienced a Quark among the heated solid filters - stunning proms under right conditions - but the required magnification is more often than not too much for my seeing. You used to have one of the Solarscope 50s didn’t you?

Don't forget that the solid etalons require to operate at F30 , now I'm not saying 

they're not good (they are) but that's some mag and yes it was a lowly SV50 

I had but what a great grab n go.

Brian 

37 minutes ago, Solar B said:

Don't forget that the solid etalons require to operate at F30 , now I'm not saying 

they're not good (they are) but that's some mag and yes it was a lowly SV50 

I had but what a great grab n go.

Brian 

Chap in the States seemed to rate his SV50 as highly as his 70. Clearly variation from scope to scope among all brands. 

.... the Rolls Royce of solar scopes, good to see them still operating, so Ken has finally retired?

if you want bragging rights you could get one of Lunts new scopes with a narrower band option.... https://luntsolarsystems.com/shop/solar-products/hydrogen-alpha/300mm-telescopes/lunt-ls300t-solar-telescope-h-alpha-pressure-tuned/

Enjoy the views (and get imaging soon!)

Peter

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, PeterW said:

.... the Rolls Royce of solar scopes, good to see them still operating, so Ken has finally retired?

if you want bragging rights you could get one of Lunts new scopes with a narrower band option.... https://luntsolarsystems.com/shop/solar-products/hydrogen-alpha/300mm-telescopes/lunt-ls300t-solar-telescope-h-alpha-pressure-tuned/

Enjoy the views (and get imaging soon!)

Peter

Think that might only be the single stack version you’ve highlighted there Peter. The DS is another $20,000!! 
Goodness knows what it costs in Europe.

8 minutes ago, Highburymark said:

Cheers Garry - always admired your LS80 DS75 set up. Looking at your signature - plenty of incredible scopes but no solar at the moment?

No mark decided now the sun was settling down I would re invest funds in night time viewing I may in future add another solar The LS 80 set up was nice I may try later for a 100 mm or possibly the 152 who knows or just a solar scope to fit one of my scopes