Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

StarGaZine Virtual Astronomy

Steve

Well that was disappointing.  I could see the pictures and see Steve and others but despite testing my audio sound, I got a few seconds audio when it started and then it cut off and never heard any more.

Several people tried to help including Davey T who rang me trying to help, he could hear my speakers working on test, but zilch.

Will have to watch it on a recorded link.

Carole 

Edited by carastro
  • Sad 4

I never have a problem with my speakers, can hear all the You tube stuff, and if any-one Skypes me can hear them, but I do have a problem with microphone since I bought this desktop, as they can't hear me, and I have tried 2 different webcams.  I am not sure if it could be connected.  I looked in the settings and the audio output was selected and working and I bet I will hear the recording when it is posted up.

Carole 

Edited by carastro

Zoom has its own settings for webcams, microphones and speakers Carole so maybe your Zoom settings were off.

I really enjoyed and you will too (though as a seasoned imager I expect you won't learn much!)

Edited by x6gas

My webcam stopped working two weeks ago after the recent W10 update, very annoying but not enough t warrant rolling back as  hope a forthcoming update will have it working again (it's not a privacy restriction as checked that).

There was the ability to locally mute the presentation which was the thing I suggested to look at.

Zoom has its own settings for webcams a, microphone and speakers Carole so maybe your Zoom settings were off.

I did the speaker test on Zoom and it was making a sound OK.

I couldn't see any more settings to adjust or set.

I think I will try my laptop next time and can plug in my ear phones for better sound.

Carole  

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, x6gas said:

Zoom has its own settings for webcams, microphones and speakers Carole so maybe your Zoom settings were off.

Never having used it before from my (Linux) desktop, this caught me out, too.  The default settings were, somewhat bizarrely, not set to what the default behaviour for everything else is and I had to set it to default (and then say I also wanted to listen to the audio) before I could hear anything.

James

• Like 1

Just now, JamesF said:

Never having used it before from my (Linux) desktop, this caught me out, too.  The default settings were, somewhat bizarrely, not set to what the default behaviour for everything else is and I had to set it to default (and then say I also wanted to listen to the audio) before I could hear anything.

James

Yeeeep, that's it James.

I think it's not a problem if you only have one webcam, audio device etc but it can cause problems if your computer thinks you have more than one (including, I think, hardware that reports a "no hardware" option).  That said, Carole can get an RPi running astro software so she's not easily curve-balled!

9 minutes ago, carastro said:

I never have a problem with my speakers, can hear all the You tube stuff, and if any-one Skypes me can hear them, but I do have a problem with microphone since I bought this desktop, as they can't hear me, and I have tried 2 different webcams.  I am not sure if it could be connected.  I looked in the settings and the audio output was selected and working and I bet I will hear the recording when it is posted up.

Carole 

I hope you have better luck next time. I really enjoyed it, as @x6gas says I don't think there would be much you did not already know. As much as anything it was just good in the current lockdown to listen and chat with others live. Looking forward to next week so much better than trying to find anything good to watch on TV 🙂 

Steve

• Like 2

Topics for future talks: stretching images

This was the thing that got me most confused when I started (trying to stretch images in DSS) but how I stretch my stacks is the thing that most influences my final images; it's an obvious thing to say but small changes in my stretch have a big impact on the final image including colour balance etc.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

I hope you have better luck next time. I really enjoyed it, as @x6gas says I don't think there would be much you did not already know. As much as anything it was just good in the current lockdown to listen and chat with others live. Looking forward to next week so much better than trying to find anything good to watch on TV 🙂

Also very positive to see some "new" names too, even if we exclude the number of people apparently using their wife's account to connect :D

James

• Haha 5