Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Oh the humiliation of it all.....

Stu

Whilst observing the sun in Ha today, it dawned on me just how ludicrous I must look, tucked away in my observing hood.

For the benefit of the forum, and to cheer you up, this is how I looked! The lengths we go to to get the best views. I must say it does make a real different to the contrast and visibility of fine detail in the proms so is well worth the funny comments from Mrs Stu.

All other similar contributions welcomed to share my pain 😉

70E40B50-3720-444F-906E-E6876C125DCD.jpeg

8DAA8651-E95E-4A24-BC49-7D21D039CEE0.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Haha 7

If you coated your hood with ali foil it would reflect the heat.

Serious suggestion? Or joining in the humour?😃
OK I will get my coat.

It is a really good idea. An alternative to the victorian photographers hood.

David.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, andrew s said:

Love the peg. Regards Andrew 

It actually makes quite a big difference, blocking the Light reflected from below.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Bought one of those posh Russian ones, works well. hides my face which some say is a good thing 😂

Dave

Solar-hood.png.afc2f1d2e8a0d8d51dc9d44ddd288e45.png

Mine is a fancy Russian one too! Very good!

Fancy Russian what though- is it designed for this purpose? Is it insulated for the Siberian winters?!? Must be baking in there if it is! Where did you get these half stitched pillow cases? 😉

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Bought one of those posh Russian ones, works well. hides my face which some say is a good thing 😂

Dave

Solar-hood.png.afc2f1d2e8a0d8d51dc9d44ddd288e45.png

I also have one of the "posh" white ones from Russia. It is excellent actually, although i must look pretty odd wearing it 🙂 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Second Time Around said:

I've got one of the "posh Russian ones" in black.  I hope to do some solar observing before long.  I had the idea of putting a foil cover over the top (as in the frost protectors for windscreens). 

Anyone tried this?  If so, did it work?

I use my black one and it seems perfectly fine, although your idea may well work. I see a post in DIY Astronomy coming up 👍👍

12 minutes ago, Second Time Around said:

I've got one of the "posh Russian ones" in black.  I hope to do some solar observing before long.  I had the idea of putting a foil cover over the top (as in the frost protectors for windscreens). 

Anyone tried this?  If so, did it work?

So that you cook through more evenly without going too crispy on the outside? 🤪

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Stu said:

Whilst observing the sun in Ha today, it dawned on me just how ludicrous I must look, tucked away in my observing hood.

For the benefit of the forum, and to cheer you up, this is how I looked! The lengths we go to to get the best views. I must say it does make a real different to the contrast and visibility of fine detail in the proms so is well worth the funny comments from Mrs Stu.

All other similar contributions welcomed to share my pain 😉

A definite improvement, Stu.

Also to the views of the sun.

🙂

• Haha 1

Apparently my wife posted a picture of me on Facebook sporting a nice black tea towel on my head.....

I also sit out the front of our east-facing house most sunny mornings at the moment, much to the bemusement of the neighbours. Worth it though. 

I like the look of the hoods. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Craney said:

Were these photos taken on May the fourth....??

Unidentified Jawa elder | Star Wars Canon Wiki | Fandom

Look what happens if you do too much bino H-alpha on the Sun.....

I was just going to comment that Stu looks like a character from star wars then I see this post. Very appropriate 😁

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, markse68 said:

Fancy Russian what though- is it designed for this purpose? Is it insulated for the Siberian winters?!? Must be baking in there if it is! Where did you get these half stitched pillow cases? 😉

Here you go Mark. They could easily be made at school sewing classes I’m sure, but ordering them from Russia is far more fun and exotic 😉

https://r-sky.org/en/products/observing-hood

• Thanks 1

the observing vest looks handy too, better than slipping the EPs in my pants/jacket pocket when I swap them over. A vest used only for observing would at least limit extraneous debris that might gather in a general purpose jacket and be better for the EPs... hmmm

1 minute ago, PeterW said:

@Stu I thought I remembered the Russian One also came in white... there be your answer!

Peter

Do you think I would look less silly in white Peter? 🤔

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Stu said:

Do you think I would look less silly in white Peter? 🤔

Black is probably safer.... just think if someone washed the white one with some red socks.....

Peter

• Haha 3