Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from Scotland

David_Scotland

Hi,

Relatively new to astrophotography, always had a facination with the night sky and most things spacey :), real Sci-fi geek.

My purchases in this hobby has i think run amok and my knowledge is currently far behind my current hardware.

But i'm learning and getting out in the fresh air and capturing some, and in my opinion, great images so far. Had some frustrating nights and nights i just want to burn my scope/mount to the ground, but i have persevered and each time i process a part of the sky that looks blank and come away with a nebula/cluster/galaxy image, i am pleased as punch and straight away start on my next adventure :D

Going forward would love to get into Mono imaging with RGB filters, but there i go again, rushing to fast. /go slow!!

Anyways, looking forward to speaking with you all in the forums, clear skies!

• Like 1

Fae the east coast in sunny Fife.

20 minutes ago, Skipper Billy said:

A warm welcome from the West Coast of the Highlands !!! Whereabouts do you stay - Scotland is a big country! 😉 

Yours Aye!

Sunny Fife, too far from any good dark skies, but hopefully once this Covid is done can get out and find a clear sky spot locally.

Hi David, and welcome.

I'm in Fife too (Leven) and also new to the hobby having just bought my first scope last week.

Once lockdown is lifted a couple of good viewing sites (bases just on online googling) seem to be around Loch Leven and East Lomond.

I'll be checking them out myself so I'll let you know.

Ah! 

Welcome!

Have visited Edinburgh several times. Have a friend who lived in Dunfermline. But have now moved closer to Rosyth. Was visiting him in September. (will be many more times, I hope!) 

Remember trying to pronounce Inverkeithing, When buying a ticket from Edinburgh station. Ended up pointing on the map at the ticket office. LOL

One cant help love Scotland! 🙂

Hi David, and a warm welcome from Paisley.  

I can remember driving down from the highlands regularly and realising that for a truly dark sky you need to go beyond Rannoch moor as that was where the orange loom of Glasgow could be seen.  

3 hours ago, WatcherF said:

Hi David, and welcome.

I'm in Fife too (Leven) and also new to the hobby having just bought my first scope last week.

Once lockdown is lifted a couple of good viewing sites (bases just on online googling) seem to be around Loch Leven and East Lomond.

I'll be checking them out myself so I'll let you know.

HI David I'm another subject of the Kingdom (NE) - as Watcher said above there are plenty of dark sites around us. Having said that you don't really need to travel that far our skies here are generally good unless I guess if your in the middle of one of the towns or in line of sight of  Mosmoran.  Have fun buddy and welcome to the forum.

Jim

1 minute ago, saac said:

HI David I'm another subject of the Kingdom (NE) - as Watcher said above there are plenty of dark sites around us. Having said that you don't really need to travel that far our skies here are generally good unless I guess if your in the middle of one of the towns or in line of sight of  Mosmoran.  Have fun buddy and welcome to the forum.

Jim

well i basically have mossmorran to the east, with flaring NE to SE, to the south i have the damn pesky lights from the bridges (and glow from Edinburgh) to the west i have my house plus streetlights, so basically i have a narrow corridor roughly NNW to image, off course there is always UP ☝️

Thanks for the friendly welcome messages guys and gals, appreciated :D

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Marvin Jenkins said:

Welcome, Boxer owner. No greater more affectionate, loony, lovable companions in life. I count myself lucky to have had twelve years with a pair of those amazing creatures. Nearly ate my entire house though!

Marv

Sadly i had to put her to sleep 3 years ago due to a brain tumour, i did get 13 completely mad years with her though, luckily she never ate anything in the house, she was too busy sliming everything in the house. Brilliant dogs, i am now the proud owner (companion) of a Rottwieler/German Shephard cross, affectionatly called Kaylar, my 2 previous dogs Kess (west highland terrier), and Seska (the boxer) anyone get the naming convention here?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, David_Scotland said:

well i basically have mossmorran to the east, with flaring NE to SE, to the south i have the damn pesky lights from the bridges (and glow from Edinburgh) to the west i have my house plus streetlights, so basically i have a narrow corridor roughly NNW to image, off course there is always UP ☝️

Thanks for the friendly welcome messages guys and gals, appreciated :D

I feel for you,  Loch Leven then or the Lomonds as Watcher suggested may work.  For my school sessions I use the foothills of the Lomonds and Kings Barns beach. 

Jim