Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

IKI Observatory Setup Video & Update

FLO

Firstly, we apologise for the delay in getting this up and running. We decided to wait for the launch of the new Starlight Press Midi filter wheel so we could have 7 filter positions rather than 5 before fully going 'live' so as not to need to create new flats etc.. In addition Grant who is running this project moved house and was then sick for a number of weeks but, we are almost there now :) 

Our friends Colin and Dave at Pixel Skies have made this excellent video showing the kit being installed and commissioned in the observatory. It is a good example of the level of service all Pixel Skies customers receive when they send their kit to them in Spain. 

We are currently collecting our first proper set of data on the Leo Triplet as a test run and hope to have some data made available in the next few weeks - weather dependent. 

More updates to follow very soon :) 

• Like 20

Very nice video. Music a nice touch but a bit too loud at times, I barely could hear the lad talking. Ears not so good now 😃

Question about the flip flap device! How much does it influence the balance when flipped up out of the way and it looks a bit off centre, does it affect the light into the CCD sensor?

It will be nice to see the images coming from the setup. Cracking mount, I have one also so know its capabilities 😃

Derek

• 3 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, MakeItSo said:

Great video.

May I ask; what is the model of the ZWO All Sky camera you have mounted on the front and also the bracket you've used to mount it. 

Many thanks, 

Simon

Oops...he clearly states it in the video!

HOWEVER, I'd be very interested in knowing what that neat little bracket holding it, is. 

The camera is an older ASI120MM but we are going to be upgrading it to an ASI120MM-S as the one we sent over is a very old one and has been a little flakey...

The bracket, is a Rob @ FLO special - Rob looks after our workshop and is brilliant at designing little gadgets and brackets like this. This one was 3D printed and has a sprung mechanism to clamp on to the dovetail - we may well release this at some stage as a product - assuming there is demand :)

I was wondering if you might be getting any data in the near future, especially with the new Moon looming.  Going stir crazy stuck at home during the current CV situation in Bortle 8 with limited FOV, so could do with some data to process.

Thanks

Carole 

• 4 weeks later...

A very interesting build of the equipment over there. Certainly lots of room in the Observatory. Is it built at ground level, but on a mountain perhaps ?

I haven't been following this venture, but it has got my interest now.  I'm looking forward to first light and beyond. I am sure it will  be a big success, and well done to the guys who are putting all this together. I can volunteer to keep the Obs. Clean and tidy if ever that position becomes available.  Anyway, much

Kudos to All involved in this project, we are totally spoiled on SGL.👍.                                                                              Ron.

Edited by barkis

6 minutes ago, barkis said:

A very interesting build of the equipment over there. Certainly lots of room in the Observatory. Is it built at ground level, but on a mountain perhaps ?

I have my telescope there. It's at 850m in a remote region with, I would say, rolling hills but not a mountain.

Regards Andrew 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The video doesn't show the fitting of the field flattener and I can't see it in the image train. How is it fitted please?

The reason I ask is that I've just bought the Stellamira and flattener and I'm wondering if it can fit internally inside the focuser and whether that's what's happened here.

Regards

StevieO