NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Takahashi TSA 120 arrived

I've been reading this thread with interest. I recently sold my TSA120mm - awesome scope by any measure. I noticed some of the posters here have got the More Blue rings. There really is (IMHO) a lack of stylish/high quality ring alternatives to the Tak cradles and I too, bought these rings for my TOA. However after experimenting with them I found that they were a source of flexure in my set up. I also have experience with Moonlite Rings (get them from Ron at Moonlite, I also think Rupert sells them at Astrograph) on my FSQ106 and have found them to be really really solid and look great. The FSQ106 version fit the TSA 120mm. I eventually bought some for my TOA and used the More Blue rings to mount accessories on the sides. Now its rock solid.

I also had some problems with some More Blue risers that I bought so overall, I think I have had bad luck with this brand. I should add though that I emailed Steve at FLO about it and I seem to be in the minority. 

Anyway, if you are wondering about really good rings for either an FSQ85, 106, TSA120 or TOA 130, Moonlite do very nice ones. Just FYI. See images below. 

IMG_1920.jpg

IMG_1948.jpg

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Highburymark said:

At first this might look like overkill….. I’ve replaced the vixen dovetail with a Losmandy one, and at the same time I’ve added an extra ring. All More Blue from FLO. I wasn’t happy with the dampening, and there was a small but noticeable sag when I placed the scope in the ADM vixen clamp. The new set up feels far stronger. The ADM dual clamp is much heavier and more robust, and adding a third ring and Losmandy dovetail has improved the dampening significantly - it all feels rock solid. So thanks chaps for the advice. 
Treated the new scope to a couple of eyepieces too. No Vixen HR 2.4s to be found anywhere, but I think the Tak TOEs are on a par, so I’ve plumped for the 2.5mm TOE to join my superb 3.3mm for tough doubles. (Btw, for anyone searching for new HRs, they’re not completely sold out - the 1.6mm is still on sale at APM in Germany, and RVO’s website suggests they still have the 2mm in stock). Then I also needed a 5mm as a basic planetary EP for the TSA. Instead of just adding another Delite, I thought the beefier mount gave me the opportunity to try something else, so I’ve ordered a 5mm XW. Never had one before, so looking forward to trying it out. 

6B3E8D16-0857-4571-906F-2381D462EE8F.jpeg

68D5FDF2-071F-456B-A19B-50E49FFF2F57.jpeg

Looks great Mark. Suddenly I don’t miss 25585 so much any more 😉

• Haha 3

Interesting. The More Blue gear is certainly very light Simon - the Losmandy bar is about half the weight of the TS vixen one I’ve been using. There’s such a difference in the Tak range from the flyweight FCs and welterweight TSAs to the TOAs (cruiserweight?). Almost need different ranges of gear to support such contrasting telescopes 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Highburymark said:

At first this might look like overkill….. I’ve replaced the vixen dovetail with a Losmandy one, and at the same time I’ve added an extra ring. All More Blue from FLO. I wasn’t happy with the dampening, and there was a small but noticeable sag when I placed the scope in the ADM vixen clamp. The new set up feels far stronger. The ADM dual clamp is much heavier and more robust, and adding a third ring and Losmandy dovetail has improved the dampening significantly - it all feels rock solid. So thanks chaps for the advice. 
Treated the new scope to a couple of eyepieces too. No Vixen HR 2.4s to be found anywhere, but I think the Tak TOEs are on a par, so I’ve plumped for the 2.5mm TOE to join my superb 3.3mm for tough doubles. (Btw, for anyone searching for new HRs, they’re not completely sold out - the 1.6mm is still on sale at APM in Germany, and RVO’s website suggests they still have the 2mm in stock). Then I also needed a 5mm as a basic planetary EP for the TSA. Instead of just adding another Delite, I thought the beefier mount gave me the opportunity to try something else, so I’ve ordered a 5mm XW. Never had one before, so looking forward to trying it out. 

6B3E8D16-0857-4571-906F-2381D462EE8F.jpeg

68D5FDF2-071F-456B-A19B-50E49FFF2F57.jpeg

Looks great!

I have a question though, I can see the rings etc make this very substantial but what about the mount and tripod, how do they fare with this amount of kit?

The reason i ask is that I have a Gitzo and was considering a similar mount for my Stellamira 80 but thought it would "wobble" too much.....

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JeremyS said:

He active on another plane, though.

No doubt promoting the benefits of equipping your scopes with a full titanium exoskeleton to keep them safe. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Stu said:

No doubt promoting the benefits of equipping your scopes with a full titanium exoskeleton to keep them safe. 😉

That’s if he dares to take them outside at all!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, scotty38 said:

Looks great!

I have a question though, I can see the rings etc make this very substantial but what about the mount and tripod, how do they fare with this amount of kit?

The reason i ask is that I have a Gitzo and was considering a similar mount for my Stellamira 80 but thought it would "wobble" too much.....

They cope very well. The Gitzo is a 4 series supposedly able to carry 25kg. The Skytee 2 is fairly hefty and capable of handling 10kg on the end clamp.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SimonIRE said:

I've been reading this thread with interest. I recently sold my TSA120mm - awesome scope by any measure. I noticed some of the posters here have got the More Blue rings. There really is (IMHO) a lack of stylish/high quality ring alternatives to the Tak cradles and I too, bought these rings for my TOA. However after experimenting with them I found that they were a source of flexure in my set up. I also have experience with Moonlite Rings (get them from Ron at Moonlite, I also think Rupert sells them at Astrograph) on my FSQ106 and have found them to be really really solid and look great. The FSQ106 version fit the TSA 120mm. I eventually bought some for my TOA and used the More Blue rings to mount accessories on the sides. Now its rock solid.

I also had some problems with some More Blue risers that I bought so overall, I think I have had bad luck with this brand. I should add though that I emailed Steve at FLO about it and I seem to be in the minority. 

Anyway, if you are wondering about really good rings for either an FSQ85, 106, TSA120 or TOA 130, Moonlite do very nice ones. Just FYI. See images below. 

IMG_1920.jpg

IMG_1948.jpg

Must say I didn’t know about Moonlite rings. There are also Parallax rings which seem to be better for heavier Taks. Surprised to read recently that Moonlite are stopping production of manual focusers so wonder if the rings will continue to be manufactured. Agree with you about the lack of stylish alternative rings on the market. More Blue seemed to fill that gap, but maybe more for the lighter ranges and visual rather than imaging with the TOA - superb set up by the way

Just now, Highburymark said:

There are also Parallax rings which seem to be better for heavier Taks.

I have Parallax rings on my FC100DC and they are very solid, but I’m tempted to try the More Blue ones to reduce the weight a bit. Sure they will be fine for visual with such a light scope. They look great too.

Moonlite recently made this announcement that explains things……..sort of. 🤔

“All manual focusers are being phased out; only automated focusers will be produced. All our new focuser products in development are automated for 2021. However, changes are being made early due to severe supply chain issues with raw material and components not being available. We only have the resources to manufacture our automated versions currently. We have started to update the web page with our new models as they are completed. All of the old manual versions are being removed from the web site as it is updated.” - Ron Newman

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stu said:

I have Parallax rings on my FC100DC and they are very solid, but I’m tempted to try the More Blue ones to reduce the weight a bit. Sure they will be fine for visual with such a light scope. They look great too.

Definitely they’d be fine for the DC Stu. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, johninderby said:

Moonlite recently made this announcement that explains things……..more or less.

“All manual focusers are being phased out; only automated focusers will be produced. All our new focuser products in development are automated for 2021. However, changes are being made early due to severe supply chain issues with raw material and components not being available. We only have the resources to manufacture our automated versions currently. We have started to update the web page with our new models as they are completed. All of the old manual versions are being removed from the web site as it is updated.” - Ron Newman

Real shame this John. Loved the Moonlite I’ve used, almost as good as Feather Touch focusers for most purposes. But Chinese focusers getting better and better, then there’s also the Baaders.

1 hour ago, Highburymark said:

Real shame this John. Loved the Moonlite I’ve used, almost as good as Feather Touch focusers for most purposes. But Chinese focusers getting better and better, then there’s also the Baaders.

I own three dual speed and one single speed motorised, all of which I've been fortunate enough to pick up used for a reasonable price and really love using them.  They are as luxurious as I can afford and so have made a resolution not to sell them after seeing the announcement earlier this year.

1 hour ago, johninderby said:

Lot of really annoyed people out there that were planning on buying a regular Moonlite . 🤬🤬🤬

I can imagine. I'm hoping that Ron will continue to offer the mounting flanges for the manual focusers but am concerned that might not happen.

Oh well, at least that is a reason for me not to chop & change scopes.

• Like 1

The Tak clamshell for the TSA120 works for me and supports high mag on the driven AZEQ6. I leave the clamshell on the mount, closed, then flop it open to mount the scope very easily.No fooling around getting the scope into the mount saddle as an assembly 👍

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Deadlake said:

How much weight does the FT add? Which side did you fit?

For its size, it’s pretty light. Starlight says it’s 3.6lbs (1.6kg), but that’s with the adapter and end cap. 
Which side did I fit…? Did you mean which visual back, or finder base?