Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Takahashi TSA 120 arrived

5 minutes ago, johnturley said:

I've never seen the point of dual 2in/1.25in barrels, the eyepiece ends up being a lot bigger and heavier than it need be.

John 

I think they are only used with eyepieces that would be bulky and heavy anyway due to the glass element numbers and sizes. I don't think the use of the hybrid barrel itself dictates the eyepiece size and weight.

Personally I would prefer that such eyepieces go for a 2 inch barrel and be done with it. I use 2 inch barrel extensions with my Ethos eyepieces that have the hybrid barrel. I can use 2 inch filters with them then as well :smiley:

• Like 2

7 hours ago, John said:

I've just measured my Ethos 13mm. It would need a 45mm clearance to fully insert the 2 inch and 1.25" barrel sections without contacting anything below. More if you had a 1.25" filter fitted of course.

I think the Baader 2 inch - T2 adapter has a depth of around 30mm so, yes, a T2 spacer would be needed. Baader do those in a number of lengths I believe.

Thanks. I’ve just seen 15mm ring that should work between holder and prism. 

• 9 months later...
On 24/06/2020 at 22:39, John said:

Personally I would prefer that such eyepieces go for a 2 inch barrel and be done with it. I use 2 inch barrel extensions with my Ethos eyepieces that have the hybrid barrel. I can use 2 inch filters with them then as well :smiley:

Same.  I have all Ethos that can be set to 2", set to 2".  The 6, 8 and 13 are simultaneously 2" higher up and 1.25" lower down the barrel.  The 8" sometimes goes in a 60mm Antares finderscope for full-on tail wagging the dog (physically and in price) action. 

Edited by Commanderfish
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi Jeremy, just wondering how you’re getting on with your lovely TSA120?
In particular - how do views compare with 4” Taks? Is cooldown time an issue? The comparison pictures earlier in the thread are really useful to get an idea of size, but do you know if it’s 5.7kg or 6.7kg - typically advertised specs on various websites seem to flit between the two?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Highburymark said:

In particular - how do views compare with 4” Taks? Is cooldown time an issue? The comparison pictures earlier in the thread are really useful to get an idea of size, but do you know if it’s 5.7kg or 6.7kg - typically advertised specs on various websites seem to flit between the two?

Hello Mark,

The TSA 120 is superb- only word for it really. I have not once had any regret about buying it. Views, both wide field low power and high power are stunning. The 4 inch Taks are no slouches, but obviously images with Tessa are a bit brighter (and I can get a bit fainter for variable stars). You can see the difference on globulars and, especially, on Mars.

I haven’t determined Cool-down time as I always allow plenty of time to put the scope out.

I don’t have any scales that measure accurately in this weight range. I’ll try and remember to weigh myself with and without the OTA over the w/e. Carrying her and installing on the mount, she doesn’t feel heavy or awkward.

Oh, and she looks beautiful too, right to her sliding dew shield and her lovely green (to signify triplet) serial and name plate

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I should say that if you want one @Highburymark, I hear the lead times are pretty long. So either you’ve got plenty of time to think about it or, looking at it another way, order now to secure your name on the next shipment from Japan.

You won’t regret it either.

Oh, and did I mention that she looks beautiful? 🤣

8 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

I should say that if you want one @Highburymark, I hear the lead times are pretty long. So either you’ve got plenty of time to think about it or, looking at it another way, order now to secure your name on the next shipment from Japan.

You won’t regret it either.

Oh, and did I mention that she looks beautiful? 🤣

Thanks for replying Jeremy. I would love one. I do think it’s probably the perfect refractor. The best compromise between resolving power and weight. And mounting it wouldn’t be a problem. But it would require me selling my FC-100DC and most of my furniture. So perhaps just as well there’s a long waiting list. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Highburymark said:

Thanks for replying Jeremy. I would love one. I do think it’s probably the perfect refractor. The best compromise between resolving power and weight. And mounting it wouldn’t be a problem. But it would require me selling my FC-100DC and most of my furniture. So perhaps just as well there’s a long waiting list. 

Well I think the FC 100 is a wonderful scope. And so light and compact, especially the DC, you’d probably use it more anyway. 😀

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/06/2021 at 18:21, Highburymark said:

Apologies for the delay @Highburymark. I forgot to weigh the TSA120 until this w/e and then found my scales were broken. New one arrived today.

The TSA with Tak clamp and Losmandy style dovetail and Tak 50 mm finder and Baader 2-inch diagonal together weigh 9.3 kg. Quite a bit more than the bare OTA.

Edited by JeremyS
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, JeremyS said:

Apologies for the delay @Highburymark. I forgot to weigh the TSA120 until this w/e and then found my scales were broken. New one arrived today.

The TSA with Tak clamp and Losmandy style dovetail and Tak 50 mm finer and Baader 2-inch diagonal together weigh 9.3 kg. Quite a bit more than the bare OTA.

Thanks Jeremy - have confirmed the basic OTA is 6.7kg. Guess with lightweight rings, vixen bar and Baader T2 diagonal I could get that total down to 8kg, still lighter than pretty much anything in its class. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, John said:

What else is there in the class of the TSA 120 ?

Admittedly, very little. SW Esprit 120mm is 3.6kg heavier for the basic OTA. APM sadly doesn’t do a direct competitor. Otherwise it’s larger Chinese triplets: The TS triplets are 130mm and like the Esprit, over 10kg. Not including the Vixen 115 as it’s a doublet. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Highburymark said:

Admittedly, very little. SW Esprit 120mm is 3.6kg heavier for the basic OTA. APM sadly doesn’t do a direct competitor. Otherwise it’s larger Chinese triplets: The TS triplets are 130mm and like the Esprit, over 10kg. Not including the Vixen 115 as it’s a doublet. 

You could look at this:

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/776901-new-apm-6“-f6-sd-apo-design-need-your-all-input/

A New APM 6“ f/6 SD Apo

The f/6 speed should mean with your NV device very effective when used with hydrogen filters.

About 10 kg in weight, but given the price very attractive. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fedele said:

TS PHOTOLINE 125

Isn’t that just a doublet? Nice scope though. TS seems to be offering some highly competitive prices. Looks to me like they might be positioning themselves to take over from Skywatcher as the ‘go-to’ choice for affordable Chinese apos. 

44 minutes ago, Deadlake said:

You could look at this:

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/776901-new-apm-6“-f6-sd-apo-design-need-your-all-input/

A New APM 6“ f/6 SD Apo

The f/6 speed should mean with your NV device very effective when used with hydrogen filters.

About 10 kg in weight, but given the price very attractive. 

Very nice, no doubt superb, and definitely attractive for night vision, but I will only ever own one 4/5” refractor (don’t have the space for any more), and it must above all be a great lunar, planetary and solar scope - which for me means F/7 or above.