Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Takahashi TSA 120 arrived

29 minutes ago, Piero said:

And congratulations on the BBHS mirror diagonal. It's a very good one!

Thanks Piero. I wasn't sure whether to go with the mirror or the prism version. I'd read conflicting comments, which led me to conclude the difference is marginal.

Now I've got to get used to the Baader multiple rinds/adapters etc, just having become vaguely familiar with Takahashi's  🙂

Just fabulous looking scope Jeremy.. Congratulations!! 😎😁

Your ES 34mm grenade will deliver wonderful summer milky way vistas through Tessa.

All you need now is....a handle??😁😁(that's the last time, honest!)

Dave

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

Just fabulous looking scope Jeremy.. Congratulations!! 😎😁

Your ES 34mm grenade will deliver wonderful summer milky way vistas through Tessa.

All you need now is....a handle??😁😁(that's the last time, honest!)

Dave

Thanks Dave. Yes she's a thing of beauty. And the ES 34 will be great.

Funny you should mention handles. I ordered one from John's supplier last night. It seems they could handle my order and  it has been despatched.  

I don't suppose the courier will be able to handle it to me, though, in the current circumstances.

🙂

Edited by JeremyS
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, JeremyS said:

Turns out the OTA fits in a storage/carry bag I already had:

IMG_0220.jpg.d2967d3a35a86c2ce7b4614d32db6061.jpg

Having said that, it was used to store the Berlebach Planet tripod, so I'll have to get another bag.

I would have thought you would have had them mounted on the walls of your baronial hall.

Regards Andrew 

• Haha 1

While you've still got a bank account, what about essentials like, the Tak accessory ring for your 120. And a Tak finder bracket or a super cool Tak carry handle. It's only money! £££££££££

1093715410_2020-04-0112_30_10.png.110b4b5ad9f4437cf7b4817c478495ea.png1831002402_2020-04-0112_30_36.png.1c533fa8e07a58a9d7f08f6eaef15e92.png1966997172_2020-04-0112_29_48.png.2c06a135e44b4742127c8d892bf1510f.png There's no need to thank me! :grin:

23 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

There's no need to thank me!

Thanks Mike 🙂

22 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

what about essentials like, the Tak accessory ring for your 120. And a Tak finder bracket or a super cool Tak carry handle.

Now, I'd seen that Tak accessory ring, but never seen the handle before. Where can you get one of those?

19 hours ago, andrew s said:

So how many Taks do you have now? Group photo?

Regards Andrew 

Something like this, Andrew?

IMG_0228.jpg.dd3052b41a6300ce74d2eb02e033e575.jpg

L to R: FS 60 C, FC 76 DCU, FS 102, TSA 120.

Oh, all Taks. Did I mention that?

One missing: another FS60 permanently mounted on another scope.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JeremyS said:

Perfect, but have you opened negotiations for the 130 or 150 yet?

Seriously, I will be keeping an eye out in the local charity shops when they reopen just in case. 🤫

Regards Andrew 

1 minute ago, andrew s said:

Perfect, but have you opened negotiations for the 130 or 150 yet?

👩 Shhhhh...

1 minute ago, andrew s said:

Seriously, I will be keeping an eye out in the local charity shops when they reopen just in case. 🤫

🤣

1 hour ago, JeremyS said:

Thanks Mike 🙂

Now, I'd seen that Tak accessory ring, but never seen the handle before. Where can you get one of those?

I'd first try Trutek Astro and have a word with Nick Hudson. 

Edited by mikeDnight

7 hours ago, JeremyS said:

A lovely collection to be sure!👍

I know I'm biased, but I do just think the FS colour scheme and livery is the pick of the bunch😊

Dave

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

A lovely collection to be sure!👍

I know I'm biased, but I do just think the FS colour scheme and livery is the pick of the bunch😊

Dave

Surely you are not you asking me to choose which member of the family is the most beautiful?

🙂

OK, if pushed think I’d have to agree with you, Dave. That deep blue behind the dew cap really looks good.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The thing that strikes me Jeremy, seeing your lovely Family Tak portrait is how slim the TSA tube is next to the FS102.

I know the FS range had oversize tubes (although very lightweight), same as most Vixens (I used an FS102 clamshell with my ED103s tube, which was also very light).

I  see that the TSA120 tube weighs only 6.7kg, very light for a 5" class triplet. By comparison, my FS128 weighs 7.5kg, even though it's physically almost as big as an Evostar 150mm F8 achromat which weighs between 10kg and 12.5kg depending on which website you look at (the difference is probably the finder, diagonal etc).

Here's a photo (source C N website) showing a TSA120 and FS128 dual mounted, for size comparison 😊.

Enjoy your new toy Jeremy, and look forward to a first light reports

Dave

post-24796-0-40153300-1428650696.jpg

Edited by F15Rules
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

The thing that strikes me Jeremy, seeing your lovely Family Tak portrait is how slim the TSA tube is next to the FS102.

I know the FS range had oversize tubes (although very lightweight), same as most Vixens (I used an FS102 clamshell with my ED103s tube, which was also very light).

I  see that the TSA120 tube weighs only 6.7kg, very light for a 5" class triplet. By comparison, my FS128 weighs 7.5kg, even though it's physically almost as big as an Evostar 150mm F8 achromat which weighs between 10kg and 12.5kg depending on which website you look at (the difference is probably the finder, diagonal etc).

Here's a photo (source C N website) showing a TSA120 and FS128 dual mounted, for size comparison 😊.

Enjoy your new toy Jeremy, and look forward to a first light reports

Dave

post-24796-0-40153300-1428650696.jpg

You’re right that the TSA 120 is relatively svelte compared to The FS102, Dave. I’d been a bit concerned that the TSA would be more of a handful when putting it on the mount, but it’s fine. 
The FS 102 has a 115mm tube and the TSA 120 has a 125mm tube.

• Like 1

...and the FS128 has a 145mm diameter tube with that large (and heavy!) "manhole cover" dewcap..she rides really well on my Tak EM2 mount ( earlier version of the EM10 & EM11) on a robust home built (not by me but another SGLer) hardwood  fixed height tripod.

Dave

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

...and the FS128 has a 145mm diameter tube with that large (and heavy!) "manhole cover" dewcap..she rides really well on my Tak EM2 mount ( earlier version of the EM10 & EM11) on a robust home built (not by me but another SGLer) hardwood  fixed height tripod.

Dave

I’ve dispensed with the manhole cover on my FS 102. I still have it stored away of course, but I have replaced it in general use with a much lighter tube cap. 
the manhole cover is an impressive piece of engineering, but it had a tendency to fall out when carrying the OTA and it upset the balance when putting the OTA on the mount.

But these are first world problems 🙂

4 hours ago, JeremyS said:

I’ve dispensed with the manhole cover on my FS 102. I still have it stored away of course, but I have replaced it in general use with a much lighter tube cap. 
the manhole cover is an impressive piece of engineering, but it had a tendency to fall out when carrying the OTA and it upset the balance when putting the OTA on the mount.

But these are first world problems 🙂

Nothing wrong with first-world problems, in my view!

• Haha 1