Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Powered USB hub

Startech do seem to have a very good reputation.  I've also been using Orico USB3 hubs and found them to be reliable.  I don't actually know if they do USB2 hubs, but may be worth a look if they do.

James

14 hours ago, Anne S said:

It seems a bit expensive. I'm keeping an eye on their rotator, I could do with that when I assemble my dual rig. It'll be a doddle to align the cameras.

I know right? You can very easily buy one for £30 from amazon. Don't get me wrong I really like pegasus products but this one take the right mickey out of us. 

14 hours ago, james_screech said:

Thank you all for the suggestions. 

The Pegasus one looks a bit pricey for just a hub, and the Lindy one a bit large as it's 7 port. So it will probably be StarTech.

I know mate, it's silly to be spending money on such a product. 

2 hours ago, souls33k3r said:
16 hours ago, james_screech said:

Thank you all for the suggestions. 

The Pegasus one looks a bit pricey for just a hub, and the Lindy one a bit large as it's 7 port. So it will probably be StarTech.

I know mate, it's silly to be spending money on such a product. 

It really depends on what you are after. This is a remote switchable USB 3.1 hub where each individual port can be physically switched as if you are unplugging the cable. In a portable setup this maybe doesn't make so much sense but in a remote setup this is great as you can't just grab the cable and unplug it. It's a bit of a niche product with low volume, which I'm sure also has a big influence on the price. One other thing I can add is that I have received outstanding support from Pegasus, something that it not a given nowadays.

I agree it doesn't make sense if you only need a hub but I don't find the price so offensive when considering all the features, reliability (tbc but the ultimate powerbox is very reliable) and support.

On the basis of this post I’ve invested in a Startech USB hub myself. Excuse my ignorance, but I have a query about wiring it to a 12v power supply. As the attached pic shows, there’s a positive terminal and what appear to be two GND (ground?)  terminals. So where do I put the negative wire?

B64092C4-BF81-41C8-B112-6417C5BD0656.jpeg