Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Tom OD

25 Pane mosaic Cassiopeia

Hi SGL,

I ve been away for quite a while, but its good to be back, and have a picture to post.

This is Cassiopeia, a 25 pane 530mm mosaic. I started this in 2016 when I captured the Lum panels,

it took building my own remote observatory at Ollys in France before I could capture the RGB, Ha and O3 data.

This comes to about 350hrs of LHaRGB data about 240 of those taken in the last year remotely.

No noise reduction has been used, and only sharpening on a few certain objects. I re-took about 5 panels in RGB due to stitching and gradient issues.

There are a lot of objects in here that I have not seen before. mostly Sharpless objects, but the main defin404651365_CassiopeiaSGLWeb.thumb.jpg.1d74f91be1d6b6013c7db4397b3a1bf1.jpging nebula here is the "Breaking Wave" that Olly coined when we went deep in Ha in this area before.

I was pleased to find the "Face On mars" as I like to call it SH2-173 in the mix, along with numerous other objects.

I m attaching a small image, and then a bigger attenuated version which I hope you can zoom in to.

My friend is setting up the Zoomify option on the website but it may take a few days, so I ve decided to post these in the meantime.

I hope you like it, and of course huge thanks to Olly Penrice, Steve Richards for helping with the remote set up, and all the others on the group

who helped me trouble shoot the observatory issues.

Tom.

Cass_LHaRGB_Astro16 Annotated Web.jpg

• Like 48
  • Thanks 1

Great image, that is a hell of a big project, well done.

Wow! Love it Tom. Another huge piece of work that one could just get lost in......looking forward to being able to browse around this in high resolution 🤩

13 minutes ago, MarkAR said:

Great image, that is a hell of a big project, well done.

Thanks Mark. Its 15x10 degrees of sky, so huge.

7 minutes ago, Kinch said:

Wow! Love it Tom. Another huge piece of work that one could just get lost in......looking forward to being able to browse around this in high resolution 🤩

Cheers Brendan,

Yes as soon as the zoomify version is up in the site I'll post the link. This needs to be seen as big as possible. The more you zoom in the more the resolution unveils the real deep sky stuff.

Tom

• Like 1

Spectacular. I don't know what else to say without drooling! One of the best I've seen.

• Like 1

Fabulous piece of work. Cassiopeia will never look the same again. And that, I think, is the whole point of deep sky imaging; when we look up we see the Big W but when we look at your image we see what's really up there.

The craftsmanship of this image is exquisite. Perfect. In this kind of project you're in a class of your own, Tom.

Olly

Wow, utterly incredible.  I take my hat off to you for your committment in building this masterpiece.  It'l like looking at a Titian or a Caneletto painting; you see more and more the more you look at it.

That is absolutely amazing.

Both your commitment and the end result are astounding. Speechless.

• Like 1

I can only agree with all the others - incredible amount of work and amazing result!

Perfect reference also for finding interesting objects to image, so thanks a lot Tom for bringing this to the AP community!

What scope(s) and camera(s) did you use?

• Like 1

Unbelievable Tom, the patience, skill and utter determination to compile this spectacular image is astonishing. Every time I see that distorted "W" in the sky, it will remind me of your wonderful image.

Steve

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Fabulous piece of work. Cassiopeia will never look the same again. And that, I think, is the whole point of deep sky imaging; when we look up we see the Big W but when we look at your image we see what's really up there.

The craftsmanship of this image is exquisite. Perfect. In this kind of project you're in a class of your own, Tom.

Olly

Cheers Olly. I m very flattered. 
I had originally planned to do Cepheus, but changed my mind on night one as I was setting up. Guess Cepheus is next 😂
Every pane had something lurking in the data which is great. Blending was as always very tricky. I m surprised about the near absence of smoothing and sharpening needed. 

2 hours ago, kirkster501 said:

Wow, utterly incredible.  I take my hat off to you for your committment in building this masterpiece.  It'l like looking at a Titian or a Caneletto painting; you see more and more the more you look at it.

Ha ha thanks Kirkster. 
I saw a Caneletto exhibit in Dublin last year. He was a master at exaggerating building sizes and he even changed the positions of the building in his Venice painting. He must be the original Photoshop king :) 

Looks amazing Tom! Such a wealth of details, could look for hours at this. Hats off for your persistence and patience to produce such a huge image! 

On to Cygnus now! 😉

Pieter 

Just awesome, and here’s me thinking a 6 panel mosaic of M31 is two panels too far.

11 hours ago, pietervdv said:

Looks amazing Tom! Such a wealth of details, could look for hours at this. Hats off for your persistence and patience to produce such a huge image! 

On to Cygnus now! 😉

Pieter 

Hmm Cygnus. Well it’s on the To do list :) 

2 hours ago, Tom OD said:

Hmm Cygnus. Well it’s on the To do list :) 

You can't do Cygnus on its own. Too many structures head off into Cepheus...

👹lly

Just saw this post on my iPhone and the image already looks outstanding, Tom! Will have a good look at it on my computer. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

You can't do Cygnus on its own. Too many structures head off into Cepheus...

👹lly

Calm down, calm down :)

• Haha 1