Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Rowan AZ100 Mount Owners Thread

johninderby

I thought about fitting the Omegon push to system to my Bresser dob. You would need to make a mounting plate to mount the alt encoder because of the open alt bearing but would be a simple job. Some minor adaptation for the az bearing as well but all in all not a big or difficult job.

https://www.astroshop.eu/goto-kits/omegon-push-go-standalone-encoder-system/p,55768

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, johninderby said:

I thought about fitting the Omegon push to system to my Bresser dob. You would need to make a mounting plate to mount the alt encoder because of the open alt bearing but would be a simple job. Some minor adaptation for the az bearing as well but all in all not a big or difficult job.

https://www.astroshop.eu/goto-kits/omegon-push-go-standalone-encoder-system/p,55768

Yes, I considered something similar, but was concerned my (minimal) DIY skills might not be up to it. Shame, as the Bresser dob mount is just so smooth and easy to use.

As I am getting either the Nexus DSC or Nexus II anyway for the AZ100 (mine has encoders), then I figure if I do get on with the “push to” concept, I can still use that unit on the dob base (with this kind of encoder setup), if I decide to go down that route.

I am curious to try the 10” OTA on the AZ100 though first 🤞

Could some kind soul with an AZ100 give me an idea of what the mount head plus a dual fit DT clamp on one side plus the Rowan DT bar and bracket might weigh in total ?

I did actually have this combination when I was trying out the beta examples but I didn't weigh the whole setup that I was using, rather stupidly.

Edited by John

13 minutes ago, John said:

Could some kind soul with an AZ100 give me an idea of what the mount head plus a dual fit DT clamp on one side plus the Rowan DT bar and bracket might weigh in total ?

I did actually have this combination when I was trying out the beta examples but I didn't weigh the whole setup that I was using, rather stupidly.

Including the nexus, tray and cables, mine is 11.6 kg - with cw bar but no counterweight.  Also includes the base adapter to fit an EQ5 tripod.

Edited by Oldfort
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Oldfort said:

Including the nexus, tray and cables, mine is 11.6 kg - with cw bar but no counterweight.  Also includes the base adapter to fit an EQ5 tripod.

Thanks very much !

I guess the EQ5 adapter, Nexus tray and cables don't add much - .5 kg perhaps ?

So around 11 kg for the mount head, clamp and C/W bar - does that sound right ?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, John said:

Thanks very much !

I guess the EQ5 adapter, Nexus tray and cables don't add much - .5 kg perhaps ?

So around 11 kg for the mount head, clamp and C/W bar - does that sound right ?

Sounds about right - maybe a little bit less.

• Thanks 1

As my EQ5 adaptor is off at the moment.... 556 g with fixings and 32mm extra height. Nexus dsc with tray, balljoint and cables is  564g. The Pan & Tilt handle with bracket is 318 g . (On my coffee scales.}

The bare mount as sold, with encoders and slowmos, is 8.2 kg on a spring balance. Eg no clamps, counterbalance or other options. Any one able to weigh other parts? 

Edited by Stephenstargazer
addition and correction
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, John said:

You thinking of getting John ?

3 hours ago, Dantooine said:

You thinking of getting John ?

Not really, just comparing the weight of the AZ100 against that of my T-Rex.

With the AZ100 I found that I needed 2 of those lovely shiny counterweights for my 130mm F/9.2 refractor so that is an additional 7.6kg so it looks like it would be a 17-18kg mount and then the tripod on top of that.

Having played with the AZ100 I'm not surprised by these weights but it is useful to have confirmation because I didn't get a chance to weigh the mount plus the extra bits when I had one available.

Many thanks to @Oldfort and @Stephenstargazer for the information :icon_salut:

Edited by John
  • Like 2

Hello all.  Had the mount now about 6 weeks.  All I can say is that it's superb.  I've got over the cost of the purchase as it grows on me everytime I use it !!   Thinking now about possible options re upgrading and this thread is giving me ideas galore. Love to read peoples thoughts plus the added photos with OTA's galore.  

Was out last night for a short session.  Checking on the alignment of the mount with 2 scopes attached was part of the agenda.  Think I'm good to go.  

I only went basic tbh so far.  Mount, slo.mo, 2 saddles and altitude adjustor plate.   Thinking next logical step is adding encoders and either the DSC or Nexus II.  I know i'll have to return the mount for the encoders.  Shouldnt be too painful I hope. 

Just watched ye old YouTube for a review of the Nexus DSC which looks excellent especially the link up with Skysafari.  Sure I read a post on this thread that someone had great success so far with the DSC.  Cant seem to find it again now.

Can't seem to see anything of note about the Nexus  II.  Rowans website just shows a black box -  is the Nexus II  all run via wifi on a phone or tablet I'm thinking.  Any plus or minuses  over the DSC. 

I've read about a motor upgrade kit that is due soon. I'm hoping this will add a tracking option once a target is found. Sure it will.   Will it maybe facilitate a GoTo system in the long run. 

What do you all think will be the ultimate system available now ( and in the near future ) so that the Rowan will make my other mounts into a set of dust collectors.  Wondering what other owners have their eyes set on getting plus the planning of the odd "bank job " to get a supply of dosh   LOL 

(Hope this post doesnt count as a thread hijack - apologies if so.)  Really looking forward to the replies. 

Stay safe everyone,     John 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It’s the ability to configure the mount to suit yourself thst is a great feature and can be upgraded later on if you want.

The motor system will add full GOTO or push to and then track and will have WiFi and GPS. . Encoders will be needed of course. There will be a handset or use a planetarium app etc. Looks like you will still be able to use the slo mo knobs as well.  Looks very promising indeed. 🙂👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻.

Can’t wait to get my hands on the motor system. 😁

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, johninderby said:

It’s the ability to configure the mount to suit yourself thst is a great feature and can be upgraded later on if you want.

The motor system will add full GOTO or push to and then track and will have WiFi and GPS. . Encoders will be needed of course. There will be a handset or use a planetarium app etc. Looks like you will still be able to use the slo mo knobs as well.  Looks very promising indeed. 🙂👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻.

Can’t wait to get my hands on the motor system. 😁

Exactly, it's very modular and well designed. I had a quick go with mine last night with the StellaLyra CC6 onboard (balanced with the ST80 on the other side) and it was a delightful experience... so smooth, both manually and slow motion 👍

I'm still undecided about the Nexus (DSC or II), but I think once I start using it fully in anger, having "push to" will be useful... I do already have the encoders fitted, so also ready for this motor system, which will give tracking... that will be very useful indeed 😀

@johninderby I saw you just sold your Uni 28 and mentioned getting a Planet... have you found any issues with your new refractor on the AZ100 and Uni 18, relating to wobble etc, or just want to "future proof" with a bigger tripod 🤔

Wanted something a lttle taller than the UNI-18 as well as you put it “future proofing”. Didn’t make sense to replace the UNI-18 with a UNI-28. FLO should be shipping out my new Planet tripod on Mon or Tues. 🙂

Notice that the latest version of the Planet is now rated at 130kg when fitted with the dual leg clamps.🙀

Edited by johninderby
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Wanted something a lttle taller than the UNI-18 as well as you put it “future proofing”. FLO should be shipping out my new Planet tripod on Mon or Tues. 🙂

Notice that the latest version of the Planet is now rated at 130kg when fitted with the dual leg clamps.🙀

130 kgs... that's an amazing payload😮

That should be able to take anything the AZ100 can handle (and more). I'm more than happy with the payload of the Uni 28, although if I do go down this route of trying the Bresser 10" OTA on it, I might have to re-consider, but I'm sure it will be fine, besides I have the Tri Pier for anything super heavy (it's rated for 100kg!).

Look forward to the photos when it arrives... nice one 👍

Edited by HollyHound

Yup 130kg will just about do I guess. 😁😁😁

The ultra-flat design of the new tripod head with 105 mm leg joints guarantees maximum torsional stiffness.
Load capacity 120 kg, with double cable clamps 130 kg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

Funnily enough, on Friday I ordered a Uni 28 for the AZ100 to save a couple of kg’s compared to the planet. The Planet + AZ100 is ok to carry a short distance, but will see if Uni28 + AZ100 is any more manageable.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Funnily enough, on Friday I ordered a Uni 28 for the AZ100 to save a couple of kg’s compared to the planet. The Planet + AZ100 is ok to carry a short distance, but will see if Uni28 + AZ100 is any more manageable.

Will be interesting to see your comparison at to the manageability of one against the other. I certainly had no major issue carrying the (unloaded) AZ100 on the Uni 28 about 30 feet from my office to the back patio (no steps in the way).

Although I can easily manage the Report with Mak 127, binoviewer and two Hyperion Zooms outside in one go by the same route, I certainly wouldn't want anything onboard the AZ100 whilst carrying it. Happy enough to carry and load the scopes on afterwards. The same was true for the SkyTee II and indeed the AZ Mount Pro too though.

• Like 2

@Telescope40 good report on AZ 100. Many options if you add encoders. If you intend to use SkySafari then you only need a Nexus, but if you have DSC then you have option to use that alone or plus SS. Personally prefer not to depend on phone or tablet. ( In some situations WiFi can become unstable due to other nearby routers on same channel. ). You can use DSC and SS will still track your position though. 

@johninderby mentioned using both motors and slow-motion but I thought that was not possible due to way motors connect by belts?? However can definitely push to and use motors as slipping clutches work without disrupting the encoders. Good thinking Rowan - makes for high-speed go to! Motors will goto with DSC or Safari and you can push to that area of sky instead of waiting I believe. 

I have said motors are not for me but??  However very pleased I went with DSC, it was one reason for choosing this mount 👍

Edited by Stephenstargazer
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, HollyHound said:

Will be interesting to see your comparison at to the manageability of one against the other. I certainly had no major issue carrying the (unloaded) AZ100 on the Uni 28 about 30 feet from my office to the back patio (no steps in the way).

Although I can easily manage the Report with Mak 127, binoviewer and two Hyperion Zooms outside in one go by the same route, I certainly wouldn't want anything onboard the AZ100 whilst carrying it. Happy enough to carry and load the scopes on afterwards. The same was true for the SkyTee II and indeed the AZ Mount Pro too though.

Yes, I'm happy to make two carries to setup mount / tripod then the scope and similarly when bringing it in. When setup though I do like to be able to move the whole rig a few paces here and there during a session just to make the most of my clear patches of sky here. I would prefer not to have to dismount the scope to do this. Currently I can move all my scopes / mounts around the garden a short, level, distance in one piece. I've owned a couple of setups where that was not possible and this became the main reason that I moved those on.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HollyHound said:

I can lift the AZ100 on the Planet from my garage about 15 m to the patio. there is a gate to go though, which takes a bit of care. However, I just worry a bit about strain on lower back (mainly due to awkward movement rather that weight) hence why I want to try the marginally lighter Uni 28. I thought about the Uni 18 to save another kg, but the 28 is better height/stability with fracs.

I’ve read (I think on CN, without too much froth) that the Planet results in better (more accurate) gotos due to the greater stability. But I don’t need to worry about that.The AZ100 is my fully manual setup for quick looks, so I don’t need the bulk of the Planet.

The Planet is still the loadbearer of choice for my AZEQ6. 

Anyway, so much for theory: let’s see what happens. 😊

Edited by JeremyS
  • Thanks 1