Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Rowan AZ100 Mount Owners Thread

johninderby

14 hours ago, Razvan said:

To add my experience: on a Planet tripod, my TSA-120 refractor does not need a counterweight, the setup is rock solid. Rowan's support confirmed that the counterweight is not needed by the mount itself; it's only to prevent the tripod from toppling over, so they were recommending them if using the lighter Uni tripod.

Other than that, the mount is superb and works very well with Nexus DSC (which I've used both standalone and connected to SkySafari on a tablet). I have the encoders as well and will get the motors when they come, but I'm very happy as it is as well, apart from charging the Nexus, I don't need any power source so it's great for multi-day outings.

Razvan

It also depends on how you adjust the clutches. With minimal tightening, I found my TSA 120 (on AZ100 + Planet) is not properly balanced. Which means the azimuthal movement via the manual slow motion is not balanced in each direction. You can of course overcome by tightening the clutches a bit.

I first noticed this after I’d set the AZ100 up with an FC100 DZ. I adjusted the clutches so azimuth very smooth in both directions. No counterweight. Replacing the OTA with the TSA at the same clutch setting required a counterweight 

• Thanks 1

If found that I needed 2 of the Rowan 3.8 kg counterweights when I had my 130mm F/9.2 triplet refractor on the AZ100. The scope weighed 9.5kg and the tripod was the Uni 28. There was no danger of the scope toppling over without the counterweights but I did find that they were needed to get the smoothest action from the altitude slow motion. Fore and aft scope balance was important as well in this respect.

Edited by John
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, John said:

If found that I needed 2 of the Rowan 3.8 kg counterweights when I had my 130mm F/9.2 triplet refractor on the AZ100. The scope weighed 9.5kg and the tripod was the Uni 28. There was no danger of the scope toppling over without the counterweights but I did find that they were needed to get the smoothest action from the altitude slow motion. Fore and aft scope balance was important as well in this respect.

Hello John,

As mentioned before, there have been several subtle changes to the design since you tested our development mounts, so your experience of the development mounts probably doesn't reflect the production AZ100.

In fact we have a number of customers that have reasonably large OTAs mounted on the AZ100 and operate without counterweights.

Our recommendation is to use counterweights to ensure stability of the tripod when required, not to provide smooth movement.

Counterweights also help reduce the pointing error due to the tripod head flexing which can become apparent when using a DSC and high magnification.

ATB

Derek,

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, Dek Rowan Astro said:

Hello John,

As mentioned before, there have been several subtle changes to the design since you tested our development mounts, so your experience of the development mounts probably doesn't reflect the production AZ100.

In fact we have a number of customers that have reasonably large OTAs mounted on the AZ100 and operate without counterweights.

Our recommendation is to use counterweights to ensure stability of the tripod when required, not to provide smooth movement.

Counterweights also help reduce the pointing error due to the tripod head flexing which can become apparent when using a DSC and high magnification.

ATB

Derek,

Good to hear that Derek :smiley:

• Like 1

I've been reading through the CN thread on the AZ100 and especially to the question posed to and answered by Derek. I am now convinced that I need this mount in my life. After a brief chat with mission control she has agreed. Just a few things to come together before hitting the buy button probably early June. Intending to go for fitted encoders then await the tracking motors. From what I've read on CN this will then give me a manual push to and when on target tracking on that sky area. All without the need to have nexus2 or the nexus DSC. Then once developed add the hand controller for full goto. Question for Derek, are my assumptions correct and also will it solar track?

Finally to current users uni or planet?

Thanks

Steve

• Like 2

The Berlebach Planet tripod arrived today so my AZ100 is ready for whatever the future brings. 👍🏻

The Planet certainly feels a lot more solid than the UNI even though the UNI was pretty solid anyway.

72E52E1F-0A18-47C4-AA4E-0AE747FEDBAC.jpeg

AAD9B17F-B7DD-43DA-B351-F1B889E7CA64.jpeg

9B582039-3FFE-40EC-A72D-9AF838292B3F.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

17 hours ago, Steve Clay said:

Finally to current users uni or planet?

There is almost a bible on the pros and cons in pages above here. Not only what you put on the mount but how you may want to use it in future. A Planet and fully optioned AZ100 is hefty kit but in the 'ready for whatever the future brings' class as @johninderby puts it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, johninderby said:

The Berlebach Planet tripod arrived today so my AZ100 is ready for whatever the future brings. 👍🏻

The Planet certainly feels a lot more solid than the UNI even though the UNI was pretty solid anyway.

72E52E1F-0A18-47C4-AA4E-0AE747FEDBAC.jpeg

AAD9B17F-B7DD-43DA-B351-F1B889E7CA64.jpeg

9B582039-3FFE-40EC-A72D-9AF838292B3F.jpeg

I note your Planet looks slightly darker than mine. I noticed my Uni that arrived today is also a bit darker. Looks like Berlebach has been using wood with more prominent grain recently. Something else to enjoy about a natural product 😊👍🏻

Are you using a counterweight with the Technosky, John?

• Like 1

The Tecnosky doesn’t need a counterweight. Apparently according to Rowan the mount itself doesn’t need a counterweight. Only needed if the tripod is unbalanced and might fall over without a counterweight. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Steve Clay said:

John, did the planet come with tray and spreader?

Yes it does come with the tray and spreader. Now has a redesigned top that boosts the max payload quite a bit. With the dual leg clamps now rated at 130kg. 🙀🙀🙀🙂

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Steve Clay said:

<snip> From what I've read on CN this will then give me a manual push to and when on target tracking on that sky area. All without the need to have nexus2 or the nexus DSC. Then once developed add the hand controller for full goto. Question for Derek, are my assumptions correct and also will it solar track?

Thanks

Steve

Hello Steve,

The AZ100 motor kit will provide several 'modes' of operation:-

a) The simplest being (with no DSC Sky safari or hand controller),  power up the mount horizontal and pointing South, then push to any area of sky and the mount will track.

b) Use Sky Safari- action a SF goto command and the mount will goto that object (we're working on the SF protocol to do this at the moment).

c) Use Nexus DSC or NexusII - Serge will be providing a version of Nexus firmware that will issue the goto command from the Nexus database objects.

d) Use our own handset with built in object database.

Not all these above operation modes will be available initially, ( A and B, C&D later is the current plan ) but with the AZ100 controller firmware being able to be updated by the user via the AZ100 app, it's future proof.

Regarding Solar tracking, this will need a relative simple mode to set the sidereal rate (King rate or a rate factor) and would be included in one of the later firmware versions.

ATB

Derek.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Dek Rowan Astro said:

Hello Steve,

a) The simplest being (with no DSC Sky safari or hand controller),  power up the mount horizontal and pointing South, then push to any area of sky and the mount will track.

b) Use Sky Safari- action a SF goto command and the mount will goto that object (we're working on the SF protocol to do this at the moment).

c) Use Nexus DSC or NexusII - Serge will be providing a version of Nexus firmware that will issue the goto command from the Nexus database objects.

Not all these above operation modes will be available initially, ( A and B, C&D later is the current plan ) but with the AZ100 controller firmware being able to be updated by the user via the AZ100 app, it's future proof.

Regarding Solar tracking, this will need a relative simple mode to set the sidereal rate (King rate or a rate factor) and would be included in one of the later firmware versions.

ATB

Derek.

Thanks Derek, sounds amazing.

Steve

7 hours ago, johninderby said:

The Tecnosky doesn’t need a counterweight. Apparently according to Rowan the mount itself doesn’t need a counterweight. Only needed if the tripod is unbalanced and might fall over without a counterweight. 

Are the spreaders of these bb tripods adjustable in height? So that the angle of the legs get slightly bigger to prevent tipping over?  Or is it fixed?    

The Berlebach tripods are pretty stable with most scopes. The spreader is a fixed length.  Think if you have a 20kg OTA a counterweight would be a good idea though.

For the UNI and Report tripods you can get a variable spreader but £££ 🙀🙀🙀

https://www.berlebach.de/en/?bereich=details&id=572

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Robindonne said:

Are the spreaders of these bb tripods adjustable in height? So that the angle of the legs get slightly bigger to prevent tipping over?  Or is it fixed?    

You can move the spreader up the legs a bit and fill the old screw holes with wood filler,  the limiting factor becomes getting the tray in if you use it. I moved mine up by about 1.5" some time ago, tray still fits.

• Like 2

They also make leg brackets to fit the UNI, however moving the bracket and putting matching black screws in the original holes is the economy solution. Then you can have the leg spread of choice! 🧐

@johninderby did you think about a Graviton? Family photo with the UNI would have been nice, or was it sold??

On 09/03/2021 at 18:20, Dek Rowan Astro said:

Hello Steve,

ATB

Derek.

Hello all.  Reading up on the options that will be available with the motor kit.  Is anyone aware of what power source the kit will require.  Apologies if noted on this thread. I cannot see it myself. 

John 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, omo said:

Power input is indeed 12v

Thank you.   Will this power unit   ( My current one )  be up to the job ??   I'm useless at electrical to put it politely.   Thinking way ahead. 

Nevada PS-08 6-8A Regulated Linear Power Supply | First Light Optics

John 

Edited by Telescope40
addition

3 hours ago, Telescope40 said:

Thank you.   Will this power unit   ( My current one )  be up to the job ??   I'm useless at electrical to put it politely.   Thinking way ahead. 

Nevada PS-08 6-8A Regulated Linear Power Supply | First Light Optics

John 

I have the same power supply and expect to use it unless the specs suggest otherwise when released, most goto's are using 2 to 3 Amps when slewing that's half the Nevada's output.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, omo said:

I have the same power supply and expect to use it unless the specs suggest otherwise when released, most goto's are using 2 to 3 Amps when slewing that's half the Nevada's output.

Thank you @omo 

A small win on the finance front. 👍👍
John 

• Like 1

Couldn’t find any of the black EQ6 pillar extensions in stock so ordered one of the white ones and made it into a black one.

Ground off the powder coat on the tube and primed it with acid etch primer. The top plate was flatted with sandpaper and primed with a barrier / sealer primer. Then sprayed both with 2 pack satin black paint.  The 2 pack paint is a tough as powder coat when fully hardened but expensive. 🙀

Now the Tecnosky 125 can be pointed at the zenith without fouling the tripod legs. 👍🏻

70CFFE6F-6072-4FE5-8503-EEF0B6EF3C83.jpeg

E541C295-18C8-4ACC-B274-8D137091B90A.jpeg

DEF944A9-6E6E-427D-AD64-ACF5A2BF11A2.jpeg

6AC4B981-77EA-4DA9-86E9-B29E83FA4400.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1