Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Rowan AZ100 Mount Owners Thread

johninderby

Yep, I think the Uni 28 is a good call - it would have been my second choice after the Planet.  But I’m going to stick with the Tri-Pier for now as it DOES work really well with the AZ100.  I originally bought the Tri-Pier for my CEM40 but I actually prefer that on my UNI18 and the AZ100 on the Tri-Pier.  Everyone’s mileage as they say, may differ!

• Like 1

I know i have really no reason to be here but one thing i like to know about this mount.   Followed a bit the threads about the (in the future planned) motors for this mount.   Does it all work with the current encoders and nexus computer?  Thx.  

22 minutes ago, lifeonmars said:

Hi just have a look at this cloudy nights link Robindonne this might help 

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/708353-rowan-astronomy-az100-arrived/page-7#entry10705402 think its post 158 think I will be pulling the trigger soon on one of these!

I was reading only reading that post late last night... Having read that the motor upgrade kit will be a user install and will allow tracking, even when just being used without a Nexus and/or SkySafari, I have ordered an AZ100 with encoders, 2x Dual Saddle, Pan/Tilt Handle (don't tell @johninderby🤣), Counterweight bar & Nexus shelf (just in case I want to add that later) 👍

So looks like I'll be wanting to join this owners club very soon too 🤞

Edited by HollyHound
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, lifeonmars said:

Hi just have a look at this cloudy nights link Robindonne this might help 

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/708353-rowan-astronomy-az100-arrived/page-7#entry10705402 think its post 158 think I will be pulling the trigger soon on one of these!

Yes thanks.  I was directed a bit to that thread last week.   I might have read over it, but i cant find if the version with just encoders will work when planning to use skysafari for example. They offer the encoders, but where are they connected to when not having a nexus?

• Like 1

Just now, Robindonne said:

Yes thanks.  I was directed a bit to that thread last week.   I might have read over it, but i cant find if the version with just encoders will work when planning to use skysafari for example. They offer the encoders, but where are they connected to when not having a nexus?

I think you will need either the Nexus DSC or the Nexus II for that... both have WiFi, but the Nexus II doesn't have any user interface... that's how I read it 🤔 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, HollyHound said:

I think you will need either the Nexus DSC or the Nexus II for that... both have WiFi, but the Nexus II doesn't have any user interface... that's how I read it 🤔 

Ah ok.  So the option:

”AZ100 + Encoders”

is only for users that already own another nexus dsc?

Edited by Robindonne
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Robindonne said:

Ah ok.  So the option:

”AZ100 + Encoders”

is only for users that already own another nexus dsc?

That's correct... or in my case, I'm buying with the encoders, even though I don't (yet) have either Nexus, so that I'm "future proofed". It is my intention to get one or the other sometime soon. The reason to buy with the encoders, is that to have them fitted later means returning to Rowan, which will likely take some time and presumably there may be a fitting charge. If you never plan on needing the encoders, then by all means get without.

Edited by HollyHound
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, fireballxl5 said:

After seeing the unit Rowan had at the IAS in 2019 I knew that I'd be getting one of these mounts sometime.  Finally pulled the trigger on the AZ100 with Nexus last night😀  

I think we ordered around the same time, I noticed the AZ100 with Nexus was sold just before I ordered mine (with encoders)... looks like there are at least two new owners coming along this week then 👍

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, HollyHound said:

I think we ordered around the same time, I noticed the AZ100 with Nexus was sold just before I ordered mine (with encoders)... looks like there are at least two new owners coming along this week then 👍

yes, just before 9pm so most likely my purchase that you saw. I noticed that there was only one DSC unit in stock earlier in the day and with recent financial approval from my lovely wife I decided not to hang around any longer!

• Like 1

Just now, fireballxl5 said:

yes, just before 9pm so most likely my purchase that you saw. I noticed that there was only one DSC unit in stock earlier in the day and with recent financial approval from my lovely wife I decided not to hang around any longer!

Very wise. I've done the same with the encoder variant. I'm aware there's a motor driven "tracking" option coming quite soon, so want to be prepared for when that drops. I haven't yet decided between the Nexus DSC or Nexus II, so will be ordering those separately anyway 👍

• Like 1

Hello all. Interesting read. With a view to buying the “tracking bundle “ might I ask. I’ve not got the mount with any electronics fitted atm - eg - encoders / DSC / Nexus- just SLO mo controls. Will any of this be required so that the tracking kit, motors and handset etc will operate OR will the tracking kit work as a stand alone add on. I’m just after the mount to track once I’ve located my target. Goto / push to not needed. Just a spare kidney required to fund it all. LOL 

TIA. John 

Edited by Telescope40

1 hour ago, Telescope40 said:

Hello all. Interesting read. With a view to buying the “tracking bundle “ might I ask. I’ve not got the mount with any electronics fitted atm - eg - encoders / DSC / Nexus- just SLO mo controls. Will any of this be required so that the tracking kit, motors and handset etc will operate OR will the tracking kit work as a stand alone add on. I’m just after the mount to track once I’ve located my target. Goto / push to not needed. Just a spare kidney required to fund it all. LOL 

TIA. John 

Re-reading that post on CN (referred to above), I found this from Rowan...

"The motor upgrade is a user install, if the mount already has encoders fitted. None-encoder mounts will need to be returned to us for encoder installed, before the motor upgrade is fitted."

The implication being that the encoders would need to be installed for the motor (tracking) kit to operate, but the Nexus DSC or II are only required for GoTo. Anybody else have confirmation of that, or more information on the motor kit upgrade 🤔

35 minutes ago, HollyHound said:

Re-reading that post on CN (referred to above), I found this from Rowan...

"The motor upgrade is a user install, if the mount already has encoders fitted. None-encoder mounts will need to be returned to us for encoder installed, before the motor upgrade is fitted."

The implication being that the encoders would need to be installed for the motor (tracking) kit to operate, but the Nexus DSC or II are only required for GoTo. Anybody else have confirmation of that, or more information on the motor kit upgrade 🤔

Hello @HollyHound

Another kidney then. Pity just adding motors didn’t require the encoders but then it being an Altaz mount it figures I guess. 

Rowan can take their time in fettling the motor upgrades. 
John 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Telescope40 said:

Hello @HollyHound

Another kidney then. Pity just adding motors didn’t require the encoders but then it being an Altaz mount it figures I guess. 

Rowan can take their time in fettling the motor upgrades. 
John 

I guess it must be that, as I started with a simple SkyWatcher Avant mount and fitted an optional motor drive which tracked very well... but that was indeed an EQ mount when in that mode.... these things aren't cheap unfortunately 😬

• Like 1

The modular design of Rowan means you configure a mount by what works for you. It's not about selling extras IMHO but rather making a bespoke mount. I really like that clamps, counter balance, encoders, DSC, motor drives, panning handle are all options not a package deal.

This is possible because it is not mass-produced remotely and that has cost implications like a Saville Row suit. You even get to choose your own tripod or pier solution, as many posts show. With the drives opening another possibility will we see an equatorial wedge? Perhaps there are more imaginative possibilities 🤔?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Built to a standard not down to a price. An old fashioned concept nowadays but glad there are some businesses that still believe in it. 👍🏻

Just realised I’ve had my AZ100 since December 2019. 🙀 Bought mine five minutes after it was released for sale so got the very first one sold. 🙂

• Like 7

1 hour ago, johninderby said:

Built to a standard not down to a price. An old fashioned concept nowadays but glad there are some businesses that still believe in it. 👍🏻

Can’t wait to receive mine this week, I’ve been admiring everyone’s for a while, and now I have the CC6, I need something with a little more capacity than the ScopeTech again. I do miss the SkyTee, but this takes that concept to a whole new level of engineering, as you say 👍

Edited by HollyHound
  • Like 2

Well mine arrived earlier today and although clouds may have been included, they weren't🙂

Setup with my OMC300 which it handles very well indeed and so trawling the lowlands around Sirius at around 110x.

Very impressive build quality and smooth motions so far. My first DSC setup and this works really well. 

Very pleased😀

Screenshot_20210302-204508_QuickPic.thumb.jpg.ac69068bf356e151429a4a09d6fcdc7e.jpg

Edited by fireballxl5
Photo added
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Busy night then fireballx15, enjoy

Hi there,

Long-time lurked, but first time poster on SGL. So here is my application letter for the Az100 owners club. Like many others, I am declaring myself as another happy AZ100 owner. Here are my impressions after 38 hours of use.

The whole experience has been a pleasure, from initial contact with Derek, placing the order, through to the DHL notifications, unpacking and first light. I ordered the Uni 28 mount directly from Berlebach and they had a super-fast delivery also.

Everything has been a pleasure with this mount, as everyone else has reported. There is no fighting with it, just sinply go out, observe and enjoy it. I got the mount primarily for my C9.25 and I dual mount it with my SPX 200 F4.5. The mount takes either OTA separately or both dual mounted in its stride. I also got the Nexus DSC and for me it is a super combination when used with Sky Safari. It just works out of the box.

Probabally like most folk here, I started with the EXT series, then progressed to a CG5 (manual), an LXD75 (great learning mount, as it needed a complete overhaul after about every four sessions) and a very nice Vixen SXW with Starbook. However, the AZ100 is in a totally different class. One night all 18 targets of my SkySafari observing list were dead centre in an 8 mm eyepiece (0.46 Deg FOV) and 14 targets another night (Those 14 were achieved with a one star DSC alignment on Mars only. I just wanted to see how well the system worked). I cannot ask for better performance than that.

Between Derek R and Serge A, you cannot get better service or products. And not forgetting Bill T from SkySafari either.

Rather than repeat what everyone else says here are my additional observations.

I just ‘went with the programme’ and got the dual saddle plates even though all my current scopes have Vixen rails. I had plans of upgrading the C9.25 with a Losmandy rail, but on reflection, the Rowan dual saddle plate essentially gives the same amount of contact area with the Vixen rail as the Losmandy rail would. Another unforeseen bonus with the Rowan saddle design. 

There seems to be no challenge overloading the AZ100 so I decided to go to the other extreme and dual mount my A62SS.(1.49 kg as Vixen insist in their specifications!). Even though the Vixen A62SS only has an 8 cm long ‘Vixen shoe’, it sits quite well in the Rowan saddle too. Upon checking, the Rowan saddle provides a bigger contact area than the Porta 2 does.

The adjuster plate was extremely simple to align the second scope and only minimal adjustments were needed anyway.

Next the PushTo or slow motion with extensions debate. All are super in use but I have not really found a preference yet. One night I found that the Pan Tilt handle (if placed on the left hand side) and the Nexus tray were too close to the Alt axis clutch. Derek’s simple answer was to remove the saddle and rotate the clutch by 45 Deg. Again impressed with such an elegant but simple design that allows for all of that. 

So far so good on my Rowan journey. The Rowan AZ100, Nexus DSC with Sky Safari on an Berlebach Uni 28 tripod are a winner for me anyway and suit my sytle of observing under Bortle 4 skies. My summary is that the Rowan AZ100 is for observing with and not for tinkering with. 

For those of you frustrated with the dangling chains on the tripod, why not keep the chain in place with a bungee.

E4F1E60F-BF0C-495F-AD8F-E3D327E52452.jpeg

5567E222-3490-42A6-9157-8844FA36AAF4.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, Another Drizzle Dweller said:

For those of you frustrated with the dangling chains on the tripod

Just hang them on a nail in the shed! Works for me. If you have some tension on the clamps the tripod legs dont flap around, particularly once the tray is in place 😁

• Like 2