Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Have you ever re-invented the wheel ?

lux eterna

You get that bright idea that could change the world (or a small part of it), and feel so inspired to start realizing it. And then you eventually discover it is already done... You were not the first person to come up with that solution. No glory.

My latest "wheel" was when I was waiting for my wife at the supermarket. Nothing-to-do pauses like this can be very productive in terms of problem solving etc, and I was contemplating over the pros and cons of a German Equatorial Mount. By the time we sat in the car I had that brilliant idea of building a mount without counterweights and without need for meridian flips. Today I realized that I am building the already existing and well known "Yoke Mount"... Well, I am still going to build it, with or without the Nobel Prize. 

What are your wheel inventions ?

Ragnar

• Like 1

My most recent ones were curry pizza and hockey in a swimming pool.  I wasn't entirely surprised to find that curry pizza was already a thing, but a bit taken aback when I discovered that underwater hockey is even an event in the Asian Games.

I did also "invent" the idea of the Tivo in a conversation with my then boss about a year before it came out.  And had people laugh at me when I proposed the idea of grocery shopping over the internet.  I should have had the courage of my convictions.

James

• Like 1

Mine was the thought that these here useful mobile phones could be used to carry scans of all your store cards so that you always would have your points barcode handy no matter what store you went in and wouldn't have to carry all the various cards around.  Turns out there is already an ap for that

• Like 2

Mine is smart trollies for supermarkets. Everytime you place an item into the trolly the barcode is scanned by suitability positioned wide reaching scanners ..If you change your mind and take an item out, the cost is deducted, the cost of your shopping is displayed in the trolly and  at the end of the shop, you scan your card on the trolly and walk straight out... Even less human interaction I know....

Not really a 'wheel' as I imagine there are things like this somewhere... But it's all I've got..

• Like 2

9 hours ago, lux eterna said:

I like that kind of approach - you will always be a winner :thumbsup: Just have to remember it.

Ragnar

I have looked around and my design is far far better than any Canon offerings and not found any third party ones that are as good either, if only I was younger I would manufacture them and be a millionaire :laugh:

Alan 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, mark81 said:

Mine is smart trollies for supermarkets. Everytime you place an item into the trolly the barcode is scanned by suitability positioned wide reaching scanners ..If you change your mind and take an item out, the cost is deducted, the cost of your shopping is displayed in the trolly and  at the end of the shop, you scan your card on the trolly and walk straight out... Even less human interaction I know....

Not really a 'wheel' as I imagine there are things like this somewhere... But it's all I've got..

OI! That's my idea! :-).      Actually someone's already thought of and developing it using cheap transponders ( I think) on products. 

• Like 1

My brother and I invented the Space Shuttle back in the late 1960's. We glued balsawood wings on to our plastic model of the Apollo Command & Service Module to try and make it glide. It didn't work but the creative thinking was there.

Then darn me, both the USA and the USSR copied the idea ....... sort of :rolleyes2:

image.png.9e935e87914ae31c6eab55a0f299da06.png

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

OI! That's my idea! :-).      Actually someone's already thought of and developing it using cheap transponders ( I think) on products. 

RFID tags will do this sooner or later I should think.

I seem to remember inventing a form of iTunes before streaming existed. It involved going into music shops, listening to tracks and then making your own compilation which got burnt to CD. Could have made my fortune, although I think Mr Jobs did it slightly better! 🤣🤣🤣

The other one was a form of umbrella for washing line umbrellas! The idea was to be able to cover the clothes so they still aired, but didn't get wet if it rained. I then saw someone present a very similar idea on Dragon's Den. Don't think they got backing though. Seems like there are plenty of these other there now, another million lost 🤣🤣

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chimney-Sheep-Laundry-rotary-dryers/dp/B07MK3MJY1/ref=asc_df_B07MK3MJY1/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=330833577522&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10609121306550853818&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007195&hvtargid=pla-656385162459&psc=1

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Gasman said:

I have this idea for a new type of scope which (in my head at least if it worked) could be useful even with a variable focal length and one day I might get round to making it !

Steve

Isn't that a zoom lens? 😉

• Haha 2

I invented the universal, "girder" suspension fork for bicycles with a generous, 7.5" travel.
Unfortunately it was just a geometric improvement on the existing design of decades before. :blush:
Most suspension bicycles now have short-lived and/or expensive, telescopic forks.

Then I invented the self-supporting, binocular steadying device for astronomy.
It relied on two shaped bars with counterweights behind the wearer's shoulders to balance the weight of the binos.
Sadly it only worked over a very small vertical angle and nobody would want to carry more than twice the weight anyway. :blush:

Then I invented the "tunnel" tent with arched fibreglass, self-supporting poles.
It looked just like the mountain expedition tent offered by Blacks of Greenock at the time.
I can only assume they were mind readers. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Mmmm I like the curry pizza idea! :D

Yeah, I've reinvented the wheel several times.  While it is a dissappointment to find out that you're not the first, it also kinda validates that you had a good idea ;) I have had 10 US patents granted so far, with several more pending.  The company I work for gives a reward for patent grants - I've been very lucky: they've basically paid for my astro gear.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, fozzybear said:

Betamax was before vhs but never kicked off and vhs won anyone remember video disks?

There have been a few battles like this, odd thing is that Betamax was by far the better system in my view.

Alan

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alien 13 said:

There have been a few battles like this, odd thing is that Betamax was by far the better system in my view.

Alan

was created my Sony if not mistaken and yes better Def for playback our first video recorder was a Sony Betamax  that my dad bought and can remember watching "the Deer hunter" on it back in the early 80's cost a fortune with a B&O tv as well (that cost a fortune as well)...

• Like 1