Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Where do you keep your gear ?

• 4 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Dark knight 101 said:

For sure I keep all my gear inside, have to pile it up in a corner in bedroom, wife hates it but my gear loves it :)

My wife used to have an entire bedroom dedicated to her crafting supplies and tools.  Our third child put an end to that.  Now that they're all grown, I'm surprised she hasn't taken it over again.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

Excellent modifications to your scope. That's the first time a Newtonian caused me to stop in admiration for a long time. Thanks for posting that image! :thumbsup:

I just realized if he covered everything in a mixture of chrome and brass, it would look seriously steampunk like this Moonraker scope:

spacer.png

• Like 3

8" Newt sits on its SkyTee2/Berlebach tripod as a decorative piece of furniture in the front room when not being used. 'Naked' 6" Mak shares a space in the shirt section of my wardrobe. EQM-35 mount lives on its Berlebach tripod folded up next to the wardrobe behind the door of my man-cave-spare-bedroom. 4" Frac lives in its large metal case next to my other 6" Mak in its case, eyepiece case, various astro-bit carry-bags and other photo-lenses all piled up in a corner of same man-cave-spare-bedroom. This last arrangement is the only thing that GCHQ disapproves of, even though it's my man-cave.

The 200p, rests in the utility room and can be easier moved out to the patio in one lift.  All eye pieces are in there case in a kitchen cupboard.  I tend to get My other items such as coat, hat, all ready in the kitchen also before I go out. That way I don't disturb the kids in bed while rumbling around 😊

1 minute ago, Barry-W-Fenner said:

The 200p, rests in the utility room and can be easier moved out to the patio in one lift.  All eye pieces are in there case in a kitchen cupboard.  I tend to get My other items such as coat, hat, all ready in the kitchen also before I go out. That way I don't disturb the kids in bed while rumbling around 😊

Forgot to mention I am considering putting a hole in the kids play house roof and setting up in my new "Observatory"  on a permanent basis 😊😊😊

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Barry-W-Fenner said:

Forgot to mention I am considering putting a hole in the kids play house roof and setting up in my new "Observatory"  on a permanent basis 😊😊😊

Just make it a roll-off roof instead.

3 hours ago, Louis D said:

I just realized if he covered everything in a mixture of chrome and brass, it would look seriously steampunk like this Moonraker scope:

spacer.png

That's very eye catching and part of me would love an observatory with such a beast permanently mounted inside, but how do you touch it without leaving a finger print? I'd have to be permenantly on guard trying to keep paulastro from writing his name in the condensation on the tube.😲

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

That's very eye catching and part of me would love an observatory with such a beast permanently mounted inside, but how do you touch it without leaving a finger print? I'd have to be permenantly on guard trying to keep paulastro from writing his name in the condensation on the tube.😲

Always wear white cotton gloves when observing? 🤔

• Haha 1

I keep all my stuff in our dining room. There are a pair of french windows straight onto the patio where I do most of my observing from. We are re-decorating the room at the moment and I'm going to put in a 2nd built in wall cupboard so stuff is at least behind a door rather than cluttering up the carpet.

With my observing area just a 2-3 metres from where I store things setup and tear down times are quick plus I can pop back in for a cup of something warm or to look something up easily.

We don't often have people to dinner (other than family who know what I'm like :rolleyes2:) which is fortunate because up until now the room has looked a little like a scope showroom !

I rather like that look though. If it was up to me I'd go for the "Ed Ting dining room" style :smiley:

image.png.9c20cbf1602550ba5b9b3e00cfebfbfa.png

• Like 5

1 hour ago, mikeDnight said:

I find that black makes things look so much slimmer. In fact I hardly noticed your scope in the pic. :laugh2:

I agree! 😀

More seriously, the shroud is on to minimise dust going to the mirrors. Taking the telescope outside takes a couple of minutes, as I don't need to assemble it. Once outside, I leave the fan on for 30m-1h, sometimes also while observing. 

Taking the Tak outside is also a quick process.

My lovely girlfriend has never complained about the telescopes in the living room. She actually said that they look beautiful there. Her mother was a bit shocked by the size, but I assured her that I won't store larger telescopes in the living room. 🙂

• Like 1

I used to keep my scopes in the conservatory for a nice quick set up. My wife wanted to clear the space so they are now in another room which we dont really use. Further to carry and a bit more cooling down. I do want to put something up the top of the garden (when up clear it up). Already got power up there if needed.